Innovative Marine Aquariums

Swim bladder issues: tips and tricks?

paneubert

Documented a little on my 40g breeder journal, but the short version is I have a small clown who seems to be showing more and more issues with swimming more than an inch below the surface. And his time on the surface is spent on his side. Up till now I just assumed he was being weird, or the medication I was using was impacting his oxygen intake, but now I dont know....

If I poke him he will right himself and swim a little deeper for a few seconds, but then he goes right back up. He pecks at food that floats near, but doesn't actively seek food when I am feeding. 

Thoughts on possible treatments if it becomes clear this is a swim bladder issue and not just a weird clown? I have read broad spectrum antibiotics, but that is sort of what he was on when this issue happened. I was treating with metronidazole.  Not super broad spectrum, but an antibiotic either way. 

Yep.  I will take one after work.  But if you want to build a mental picture, imagine a little clown floating on its side starting at you even when you stick your face an inch away from the water surface.  Occasional fin movement to keep in position.  If poked or finger stuck near clown, it will swim down a bit and look offended, but then move back into floating position.  No gulping or gasping for air from what I can see.

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, banasophia said:

Can you post a video of your fish?

Video in following link. The chasing you see at the end is new....  And the rapid breathing is new as well. I am thinking of maybe sticking the little one in a smaller container within the tank and then load it with food.....

EDIT:  Just stuck him in a smaller critter cage in the larger tank.  He is not wedged against the lid.....so I don't think he lacks complete control of floating/sinking.  MIght just be weak and therefore not trying....  Going to soak some frozen food in garlic and put it in there.

No real improvement seen this morning.  The critter cage is floating just at/below the surface of the tank water, and he stays pretty much resting againsts the lid.  I left some frozen food and pellets in there with him overnight, but cant tell if he ate any.  If he wanted to, they are not hard to find since the enclosure is clear and they are all that is in there with him. Seems like he is just losing the will to live....  If he passes away, I might just stick with one Maroon and not try to have a pair......this might be a sign 😞

I’m sorry I don’t have any advice... I did see other people posting this same issue when I did a google search... did you try to see if you could find any good info that way?

Post this on reef2reef under fish disease. Humblefish on there will help pretty quickly. He is very active on the forum and is the best resource on these things in my opinion. I believe if he is full of air you need to pop them with a needle but like I said you should ask over there before getting the surgery table ready. 

• Like 1

The doc doesnt think swim bladder.  He thinks flukes or velvet.  Which is what my drugs were supposed to treat.....so that would be weird.  I am going to do a freshwater dip since that can give temporary relief.  Probably a big water change as well while I am at it.

The doc says copper treats velvet, which was the other theory if the freshwater dip did not show any flukes coming off the gills.  I was planning to dose them with copper either way for ich, so I have it on hand.

Well, dip went about like this. 

1. Lay on bottom of bowl for 5 minutes breathing rapidly. 
2. Nothing comes out of the gills. 
3. Back in the QT tank just listlessly floating.

I took the opportunity to do a 50% water change in the QT while he was out. Dosed the tank with 1 mL of Cupramine. I have a copper test, so I will check it in a little bit to make sure the copper is where I want it. Then see how things go.....  I am not optimistic he will make it.