Jump to content
LongBeachReefer

AI prime HD settings question

Recommended Posts

I’m wondering if my settings are to much or to little. The light sits about 11” above a Fluval Evo 13.5. Just added a coral which is a GSP. Testing out my tank with this coral before I start adding more expensive ones.  I scheduled my lights around the time im home.  Odd hours I know. 

45609232-9C82-49B5-841F-07C35B77A3F3.png

Share this post


Link to post

I'll have to wait to get home to screenshot my settings, but at first glance, the light settings might be too high(?). I have a non-HD prime above my tank and my tank is a jbj 20gal frag tank (8 inches high).  I believe my light is also 11 inches from the top of the water surface, but I'll have to update when I get home and I can measure.  I see you are running a lot of green/ red/ white in your light, probably to capture more of a natural light feeling.  I'd suggest you try to scale back the 100% channels so they are around 70-80 and scale back the others accordingly.  LEDs tend to output a ton of light and I know I run reds and greens at 4% when I have the actinics on to make the light more natural.

 

You can definitely see how the GSP reacts to the light.  If you have a long tentacle GSP, then it should have good polyp extension towards the light.  If the tentacles are short, you definitely know you have too much, same with long - too long and it's not enough light.  I'll update in a couple hours after work.

Share this post


Link to post

It may be too much light, but it may be ok. My one suggestion would be to turn down the Red and Green LED's. Neither are very useful to your corals, but too much red can burn corals, and both red and green can promote algae growth. Most people turn them WAY down. I have mine @ 4% each.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well I run a reg prime on a 25g at 11" above the tank.

 

I use David Saxby's schedule customized to my liking for colour percentages.

 

My white gets no higher than 15% and only for 2hrs. Then it's not higher than 10%

 

Rb 95% at highest peak times

B 90%

Uv and v 75% getting this back to 85%

R and g 8% for only 3hrs.

 

 

White is for your viewing really.

 

Red can burn Coral and aid in algae so it shouldn't be high

 

Green brings out colour in coral but not needed to be high either.

 

Blues, violets, uv are very important colours fir corals but over a 13.5, yours may be considered pretty high.

 

The prime is a very strong light

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

After many many many experiments with my own AI Prime HD playing with different spectrums and what not, I have finally found the perfect settings to use!!

 

I gave up and used the BRSTV settings, 

Max UV, Violet, RB at 100%, blues at 20% (don’t like the look of the regular blue LED) R, and G at 4% and CW at 30% in morning and 20% in the evening. My corals look great and are growing much faster than when I tried to experiment with spectrum and look, I have a true Mixed reef so I do go with more power vs looks now for the SPS, LPS are at the bottom of the tank and loveeeeeee the light, softies don’t really care once they are acclimated, if you’re starting out or sticking with softies/LPS you can deff go for more looks and color vs power. I have a 15g standard and my AI is 8” off the water. Just take your time ramping up 

 

try starting at 15watts then work your way up, I’m at 27 right now and everything is fine 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, LongBeachReefer said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely readjust the lights some. Thanks again. 

There are so many setting options and everyone claims theirs works.

 

Its absolutely one of those things that there is no absolute.

 

Find what works for you and your livestock because changing it often is not good.

 

I learned the hard way trying to find the "perfect" spectrum and yet the happiest my sps and lps ever were was when my rb, b, uv, and v were high and my white was below 20%.

 

I'm now going back to that as I changed it and my corals didn't do so great.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, MTF7 said:

After many many many experiments with my own AI Prime HD playing with different spectrums and what not, I have finally found the perfect settings to use!!

 

I gave up and used the BRSTV settings, 

Max UV, Violet, RB at 100%, blues at 20% (don’t like the look of the regular blue LED) R, and G at 4% and CW at 30% in morning and 20% in the evening. My corals look great and are growing much faster than when I tried to experiment with spectrum and look, I have a true Mixed reef so I do go with more power vs looks now for the SPS, LPS are at the bottom of the tank and loveeeeeee the light, softies don’t really care once they are acclimated, if you’re starting out or sticking with softies/LPS you can deff go for more looks and color vs power. I have a 15g standard and my AI is 8” off the water. Just take your time ramping up 

 

try starting at 15watts then work your way up, I’m at 27 right now and everything is fine 

I use this too, but lowered my settings to 12W and shortened the photoperiod a bit. 

 

Sorry no update on my post :’( my internet is suddenly not working and so I can’t get to my settings. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, KW NANOREEF said:

These settings are incredible. Peak is 119,116, 79, 80, 4, 4, and 19.

29EB708B-C12F-4107-AC86-3336BB9168F9.png

... AKA, the BRS AB+ settings. 

Share this post


Link to post

Here’s my setting! Yay ramping 🙂

 

i tried giving more natural light in the mornig morning when I’m awake before work and then more actinic at night when I’m home. I guess corals need both white and blue light - white to grow and blue to fluoresce. So I tried to strike a balance between the two with minimal algae growth. I do have macroalgaes so this setting helps them grow also. 

 

I just got another prime in the mail so I was able to set it up and grab my settings from the other one that is WiFi locked, but no dice yet on WiFi today :’(

 

F182ACCA-4455-4D12-ACD8-7791EF24143C.thumb.png.4c4c09ab39a4773e308171c8a72435a6.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Zorya said:

Here’s my setting! Yay ramping 🙂

 

i tried giving more natural light in the mornig morning when I’m awake before work and then more actinic at night when I’m home. I guess corals need both white and blue light - white to grow and blue to fluoresce. So I tried to strike a balance between the two with minimal algae growth. I do have macroalgaes so this setting helps them grow also. 

 

I just got another prime in the mail so I was able to set it up and grab my settings from the other one that is WiFi locked, but no dice yet on WiFi today :’(

 

F182ACCA-4455-4D12-ACD8-7791EF24143C.thumb.png.4c4c09ab39a4773e308171c8a72435a6.png

 

 

Blues and uv aid in growth as well.

 

Evil has a complete thread explaining what each colour does.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

My hd prime is 8” above the fluval 13.5, everything is fine in my tank, 2 sps and many many zoas 

5790066A-0697-40F4-9746-8676A9CD340E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, St3 said:

My hd prime is 8” above the fluval 13.5, everything is fine in my tank, 2 sps and many many zoas 

5790066A-0697-40F4-9746-8676A9CD340E.jpeg

How long did you acclimate to get to these settings? I've only used my AI for three (going on four) days now and I'm struggling to find the correct intensity to start off with. I switched over from a 36W PAR38 to AI Prime HD. I started out with low intensities, as advised by the forum, but my yumas at the sandbed are 'cupping' and stretching for more light. My bounty hunter zoas located mid-way through my tank melted yesterday, and my favia was pissed for a while because of the switch in lights. I had to keep toying/adjusting the spectrum until my my upper-level corals (SPS) weren't so stressed, and my bottom-level corals (mushrooms) weren't stretching *much for light. It's, quite frankly, driving me nuts atm. Mine is still set on acclimation mode though. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/10/2019 at 8:12 AM, Snow_Phoenix said:

How long did you acclimate to get to these settings? I've only used my AI for three (going on four) days now and I'm struggling to find the correct intensity to start off with. I switched over from a 36W PAR38 to AI Prime HD. I started out with low intensities, as advised by the forum, but my yumas at the sandbed are 'cupping' and stretching for more light. My bounty hunter zoas located mid-way through my tank melted yesterday, and my favia was pissed for a while because of the switch in lights. I had to keep toying/adjusting the spectrum until my my upper-level corals (SPS) weren't so stressed, and my bottom-level corals (mushrooms) weren't stretching *much for light. It's, quite frankly, driving me nuts atm. Mine is still set on acclimation mode though. 

When I went from a par38 to my reg. Ai prime I started at 35% and only increased 3-5% a week.

 

I don't run high greens, reds, or whites.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

How long did you acclimate to get to these settings? I've only used my AI for three (going on four) days now and I'm struggling to find the correct intensity to start off with. I switched over from a 36W PAR38 to AI Prime HD. I started out with low intensities, as advised by the forum, but my yumas at the sandbed are 'cupping' and stretching for more light. My bounty hunter zoas located mid-way through my tank melted yesterday, and my favia was pissed for a while because of the switch in lights. I had to keep toying/adjusting the spectrum until my my upper-level corals (SPS) weren't so stressed, and my bottom-level corals (mushrooms) weren't stretching *much for light. It's, quite frankly, driving me nuts atm. Mine is still set on acclimation mode though. 

I have 2 sps in my tank this is why I use it so high, my acclimation was 50-60% for ten days, of your only have Softies you can run the prime lower, I have altered mine a touch wins that pic just to have a little bit more of a technical settlting but  it’s the Same kind of power 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, St3 said:

I have 2 sps in my tank this is why I use it so high, my acclimation was 50-60% for ten days, of your only have Softies you can run the prime lower, I have altered mine a touch wins that pic just to have a little bit more of a technical settlting but  it’s the Same kind of power 

I have sps, Lps, anemones tanks.

 

Each colour has its purpose. 

Corals love the blue spectrum.

 

Plenty tests have been done, high whites isn't necessary

Share this post


Link to post

I run a regular prime over a 12" cube and never run it that high. These lights have way more power than your par 38 bulb. I would be careful not to melt everything. Just my $.02

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, michaelbarfield said:

I run a regular prime over a 12" cube and never run it that high. These lights have way more power than your par 38 bulb. I would be careful not to melt everything. Just my $.02

Very true.

I've ruined a few corals just under a regular prime.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...