Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AI prime HD settings question

LongBeachReefer

LongBeachReefer

I’m wondering if my settings are to much or to little. The light sits about 11” above a Fluval Evo 13.5. Just added a coral which is a GSP. Testing out my tank with this coral before I start adding more expensive ones.  I scheduled my lights around the time im home.  Odd hours I know. 

45609232-9C82-49B5-841F-07C35B77A3F3.png

I'll have to wait to get home to screenshot my settings, but at first glance, the light settings might be too high(?). I have a non-HD prime above my tank and my tank is a jbj 20gal frag tank (8 inches high).  I believe my light is also 11 inches from the top of the water surface, but I'll have to update when I get home and I can measure.  I see you are running a lot of green/ red/ white in your light, probably to capture more of a natural light feeling.  I'd suggest you try to scale back the 100% channels so they are around 70-80 and scale back the others accordingly.  LEDs tend to output a ton of light and I know I run reds and greens at 4% when I have the actinics on to make the light more natural.

You can definitely see how the GSP reacts to the light.  If you have a long tentacle GSP, then it should have good polyp extension towards the light.  If the tentacles are short, you definitely know you have too much, same with long - too long and it's not enough light.  I'll update in a couple hours after work.

It may be too much light, but it may be ok. My one suggestion would be to turn down the Red and Green LED's. Neither are very useful to your corals, but too much red can burn corals, and both red and green can promote algae growth. Most people turn them WAY down. I have mine @ 4% each.

• Like 1

Well I run a reg prime on a 25g at 11" above the tank.

I use David Saxby's schedule customized to my liking for colour percentages.

My white gets no higher than 15% and only for 2hrs. Then it's not higher than 10%

Rb 95% at highest peak times

B 90%

Uv and v 75% getting this back to 85%

R and g 8% for only 3hrs.

White is for your viewing really.

Red can burn Coral and aid in algae so it shouldn't be high

Green brings out colour in coral but not needed to be high either.

Blues, violets, uv are very important colours fir corals but over a 13.5, yours may be considered pretty high.

The prime is a very strong light

• Like 1

After many many many experiments with my own AI Prime HD playing with different spectrums and what not, I have finally found the perfect settings to use!!

I gave up and used the BRSTV settings, 

Max UV, Violet, RB at 100%, blues at 20% (don’t like the look of the regular blue LED) R, and G at 4% and CW at 30% in morning and 20% in the evening. My corals look great and are growing much faster than when I tried to experiment with spectrum and look, I have a true Mixed reef so I do go with more power vs looks now for the SPS, LPS are at the bottom of the tank and loveeeeeee the light, softies don’t really care once they are acclimated, if you’re starting out or sticking with softies/LPS you can deff go for more looks and color vs power. I have a 15g standard and my AI is 8” off the water. Just take your time ramping up 

try starting at 15watts then work your way up, I’m at 27 right now and everything is fine 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, LongBeachReefer said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely readjust the lights some. Thanks again. 

There are so many setting options and everyone claims theirs works.

Its absolutely one of those things that there is no absolute.

Find what works for you and your livestock because changing it often is not good.

I learned the hard way trying to find the "perfect" spectrum and yet the happiest my sps and lps ever were was when my rb, b, uv, and v were high and my white was below 20%.

I'm now going back to that as I changed it and my corals didn't do so great.

19 hours ago, MTF7 said:

After many many many experiments with my own AI Prime HD playing with different spectrums and what not, I have finally found the perfect settings to use!!

I gave up and used the BRSTV settings, 

Max UV, Violet, RB at 100%, blues at 20% (don’t like the look of the regular blue LED) R, and G at 4% and CW at 30% in morning and 20% in the evening. My corals look great and are growing much faster than when I tried to experiment with spectrum and look, I have a true Mixed reef so I do go with more power vs looks now for the SPS, LPS are at the bottom of the tank and loveeeeeee the light, softies don’t really care once they are acclimated, if you’re starting out or sticking with softies/LPS you can deff go for more looks and color vs power. I have a 15g standard and my AI is 8” off the water. Just take your time ramping up 

try starting at 15watts then work your way up, I’m at 27 right now and everything is fine 

I use this too, but lowered my settings to 12W and shortened the photoperiod a bit. 

Sorry no update on my post :’( my internet is suddenly not working and so I can’t get to my settings. 

Here’s my setting! Yay ramping 🙂

i tried giving more natural light in the mornig morning when I’m awake before work and then more actinic at night when I’m home. I guess corals need both white and blue light - white to grow and blue to fluoresce. So I tried to strike a balance between the two with minimal algae growth. I do have macroalgaes so this setting helps them grow also. 

I just got another prime in the mail so I was able to set it up and grab my settings from the other one that is WiFi locked, but no dice yet on WiFi today :’(

F182ACCA-4455-4D12-ACD8-7791EF24143C.thumb.png.4c4c09ab39a4773e308171c8a72435a6.png

7 hours ago, Zorya said:

Here’s my setting! Yay ramping 🙂

i tried giving more natural light in the mornig morning when I’m awake before work and then more actinic at night when I’m home. I guess corals need both white and blue light - white to grow and blue to fluoresce. So I tried to strike a balance between the two with minimal algae growth. I do have macroalgaes so this setting helps them grow also. 

I just got another prime in the mail so I was able to set it up and grab my settings from the other one that is WiFi locked, but no dice yet on WiFi today :’(

F182ACCA-4455-4D12-ACD8-7791EF24143C.thumb.png.4c4c09ab39a4773e308171c8a72435a6.png

Blues and uv aid in growth as well.

Evil has a complete thread explaining what each colour does.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
18 minutes ago, St3 said:

My hd prime is 8” above the fluval 13.5, everything is fine in my tank, 2 sps and many many zoas 

5790066A-0697-40F4-9746-8676A9CD340E.jpeg

How long did you acclimate to get to these settings? I've only used my AI for three (going on four) days now and I'm struggling to find the correct intensity to start off with. I switched over from a 36W PAR38 to AI Prime HD. I started out with low intensities, as advised by the forum, but my yumas at the sandbed are 'cupping' and stretching for more light. My bounty hunter zoas located mid-way through my tank melted yesterday, and my favia was pissed for a while because of the switch in lights. I had to keep toying/adjusting the spectrum until my my upper-level corals (SPS) weren't so stressed, and my bottom-level corals (mushrooms) weren't stretching *much for light. It's, quite frankly, driving me nuts atm. Mine is still set on acclimation mode though. 

On 2/10/2019 at 8:12 AM, Snow_Phoenix said:

How long did you acclimate to get to these settings? I've only used my AI for three (going on four) days now and I'm struggling to find the correct intensity to start off with. I switched over from a 36W PAR38 to AI Prime HD. I started out with low intensities, as advised by the forum, but my yumas at the sandbed are 'cupping' and stretching for more light. My bounty hunter zoas located mid-way through my tank melted yesterday, and my favia was pissed for a while because of the switch in lights. I had to keep toying/adjusting the spectrum until my my upper-level corals (SPS) weren't so stressed, and my bottom-level corals (mushrooms) weren't stretching *much for light. It's, quite frankly, driving me nuts atm. Mine is still set on acclimation mode though. 

When I went from a par38 to my reg. Ai prime I started at 35% and only increased 3-5% a week.

I don't run high greens, reds, or whites.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I have 2 sps in my tank this is why I use it so high, my acclimation was 50-60% for ten days, of your only have Softies you can run the prime lower, I have altered mine a touch wins that pic just to have a little bit more of a technical settlting but  it’s the Same kind of power 

3 hours ago, St3 said:

I have 2 sps in my tank this is why I use it so high, my acclimation was 50-60% for ten days, of your only have Softies you can run the prime lower, I have altered mine a touch wins that pic just to have a little bit more of a technical settlting but  it’s the Same kind of power 

I have sps, Lps, anemones tanks.

Each colour has its purpose. 

Corals love the blue spectrum.

Plenty tests have been done, high whites isn't necessary

michaelbarfield

I run a regular prime over a 12" cube and never run it that high. These lights have way more power than your par 38 bulb. I would be careful not to melt everything. Just my $.02

• Like 1
10 hours ago, michaelbarfield said:

I run a regular prime over a 12" cube and never run it that high. These lights have way more power than your par 38 bulb. I would be careful not to melt everything. Just my $.02

Very true.

I've ruined a few corals just under a regular prime.

• 10 months later...

I know this post is kinda old, but Clown79 could you share your setting file with me. I just got the 16 HD and it's got me lost on where to go with it. I'm running the saxbee file. I think it's turned up to much and trying to make all these changes on my phone socks bad. I currently have it at 50% acclamation for 45 days. So I know it's not going to cook anything yet.

Is there any issues with your coral? I would say almost always that the coral will show you what is too much too little if they all look happy then lights are good. If they dont and lights are the issue then I would change. For your tank with just the gsp lighting any lighting will be fine. Renting a par meter is the only way to be 100% sure. 

23 hours ago, Jamie456 said:

I know this post is kinda old, but Clown79 could you share your setting file with me. I just got the 16 HD and it's got me lost on where to go with it. I'm running the saxbee file. I think it's turned up to much and trying to make all these changes on my phone socks bad. I currently have it at 50% acclamation for 45 days. So I know it's not going to cook anything yet.

The saxbee setting is great and used by many. After the acclimation everything should be okay and grow like crazy. I just loaded the saxbee settings on my AI prime 16hd over my 13.5gal fluval evo and also running 50% acclimation mode over the next 30 days. So far my corals love it. If it seems too strong after acclimating I’m gonna back each set point down like 20-30% across the board. 

On 1/10/2020 at 6:39 PM, Jamie456 said:

The Saxby setting need to all individually be adjusted, the easiest way is doing it on your PC rather than the phone 

This is a pic of my HD settings but the uv, b, rb, v are now 80%.

My whites go from 15% for 3hrs to then 10% for 3hrs.

Screenshot_20190604-172356.thumb.jpeg.58aab98e83b3df7c3098dc93a3214681.jpeg

The problem with the new HD is it's bluetooth only. So no PC editing. Iv'e heard somewhere that they might add WIFI latter and the device lists a WIFI radio and ipv6 so who knows. I did learn you can use drop box to upload files to the app from your phone. I guess I'll wait for the acclamation time to end and see what my corals do. So far my corals love it. Thanks,