inTank Media Baskets

IM peninsula 14 impulse buy

Ty.

Is there any harm.of setting up my tank with just water and the llive sand and running.it until i get the li e rock in there, or.should.I.just wait and do it all at once?

12 minutes ago, Ty. said:

Is there any harm.of setting up my tank with just water and the llive sand and running.it until i get the li e rock in there, or.should.I.just wait and do it all at once?

No there isn't any harm but its better to place rocks first then sand. Structurally, rocks on sand isn't safe.

Nano Nano Boo Boo
53 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

No there isn't any harm but its better to place rocks first then sand. Structurally, rocks on sand isn't safe.

This method always seems to be messy with me. Lol. I usually put the sand in then wiggle the rocks securely into the sand. What I really need to do is secure them somehow to each other but that's a while new post.

3 minutes ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

This method always seems to be messy with me. Lol. I usually put the sand in then wiggle the rocks securely into the sand. What I really need to do is secure them somehow to each other but that's a while new post.

I place my rocks on eggcrate, then sand, then water.

Never had an issue with mess or rocks moving.

It's a safe method so rocks don't tumble and no pressure point from rocks on glass.

Rocks no places directly on the glass or eggcrate will move from sand being disturbed and from livestock

• Like 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo
Just now, Clown79 said:

I place my rocks on eggcrate, then sand, then water.

Never had an issue with mess or rocks moving.

It's a safe method so rocks don't tumble and no pressure point from rocks on glass.

Rocks no places directly on the glass or eggcrate will move from sand being disturbed and from livestock

Egg crate is a fantastic idea! Always teaching me things!

10 minutes ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

You can use egg crate for anything 😄

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

Some cover the complete bottom.

I cut my eggcrate to just a bit bigger than the rock and place the rock on that. I prefer to have open sand space than a completely covered bottom

2088.jpg.bf9e5a3b3ad7114d804b76347bf90e6c.jpg

• Like 1

Got my rock yesterday and everything is running smoothly as of right now, salanity is right on, and the water tests out good.

According to amazon I should have the filter media rack in the next day or two. 

20180902_183027.jpg

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...
Spoiler

It has been almost a month and everything is going great so far, paramaters are great and salinity is steady. There was a small diatom bloom and now I have some fuzzy junk growing on the rocks, but the four snails I added are getting it under control. The cleaner shrimp can be seen if you look closely in the picture, and looks to be doing well. I have been doing weekly water changes which really seams to help keep my parameters in check.

Now what should I start looking at for fish and corals? I have never been a fan of clownfish, and would like something smaller. 

I also added a tunze ato system and absoutly love the thing. I need to find a nice looking ato resivour, but i have a hard time spending $100+ on one. So my 5 gallon bucket will stay for now haha. 

20180927_053035.jpg

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Ty. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It has been almost a month and everything is going great so far, paramaters are great and salinity is steady. There was a small diatom bloom and now I have some fuzzy junk growing on the rocks, but the four snails I added are getting it under control. The cleaner shrimp can be seen if you look closely in the picture, and looks to be doing well. I have been doing weekly water changes which really seams to help keep my parameters in check.

Now what should I start looking at for fish and corals? I have never been a fan of clownfish, and would like something smaller. 

I also added a tunze ato system and absoutly love the thing. I need to find a nice looking ato resivour, but i have a hard time spending $100+ on one. So my 5 gallon bucket will stay for now haha. 

20180927_053035.jpg

Looks good.

You don't have to do clowns if you don't like them.

There are other options.

I love blennies. They have character. I mean they are comical and adorable.

Often recommended fish(theres more but I got a brain fart going)

Firefish

Gobies

Blennies

Pygmy wrasse

Pink streak wrasse

Royal gramma

Pistol shrimp and goby combo

• 1 month later...

I went with a pair of clowns for now, but they are bound and determined to jump out of the tank. Every time I turn the lights off they both jump out of the tank. For now I just have a piece of glass over the top but I need to get a lid for it. What is everyone using for a cover? 

I also picked up a new halo m80 basic light that I was going to run off of some sort of controller, but I think it's going to be too much of a hastle to set up. Maybe I can find someone that would trade for an easier to control light, or save it for another tank down the road. Would this light be too.much for my 14 gallon tank? 

14 hours ago, Ty. said:

I went with a pair of clowns for now, but they are bound and determined to jump out of the tank. Every time I turn the lights off they both jump out of the tank. For now I just have a piece of glass over the top but I need to get a lid for it. What is everyone using for a cover? 

I also picked up a new halo m80 basic light that I was going to run off of some sort of controller, but I think it's going to be too much of a hastle to set up. Maybe I can find someone that would trade for an easier to control light, or save it for another tank down the road. Would this light be too.much for my 14 gallon tank? 

I use diy mesh tops on my tanks. 

They are super easy and cheap to make, ton's of videos online. 

You can get window screen kits at the hardware store, buy 1/4" mesh from online reef supplies/lfs, and by clips to hold it.

On 9/27/2018 at 6:39 AM, Ty. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

20180927_053035.jpg

Nice rock work! For other fish,  consider pink streaked wrasse (I love mine) or possum wrasse. Or green banded gobies, they're tiny and adorable. For a lid, you can get mesh and window screen kit, or BRS sells kits, to make a lid.

I like your scape, great start! 

$25 holy crap lol do you live near there? At $25 I probably would have ended up buying one too and I have no need for more tanks. 

I live about 30 miles from the foster and smith retail store, and I'm finding myself driving thee almost every weekend now for stuff I don't need haha. I imagine deals like I got on my tank are simmilar to how amazon warehouse deals works where someone bought the item, returned it, and they are just trying to get some of their money back on the item.

Also any tips on the halo m80 basic I got? Worth getting a controller for and setting up, or overkill for this ttank. Also what would work for an controller? 

• Wow 1

Means you live by Diver's Den and the their Biota Captive Bred fish too 😉 I believe you can order online and pick fish up to skip the shipping cost. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Everything is still doing well, and I added some new stuff from divers den last weeekend, a Photosynthetic red plating sponge and a branching green star polyp. I don't have much faith in the sponge making it as I cut it off of the giant frag plug and harpooned it to a rock with a toothpick haha. 

IMG_20181211_072104_020.jpg

IMG_20181211_071200_662.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-143915_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1