Pod Your Reef

Slow or no chaeto growth, algae issues, Phosphate .2, Nitrate 5-10

scvbrent

Hoping someone here might be able to help me spot something I'm doing incorrectly! Chaeto doesn't seem to be growing, phosphate and nitrates a little higher than I'd like, and corals seeming  not growing at all. 

IM Nuvo 10

Running for about 8 months

1 clownfish, 1 cleaner shrimp

Barebottom - no sandbed

1st Chamber: Filter floss, 2 Chemo-Pure Blue nano packets (changed every 2-3 weeks)

2nd Chamber: Chaeto in InTank Fugue, IM ChaetoMax light (10 hrs a day, opposite tank light)

Feeding: Strained Frozen Brine/Mysis Shrimp once a day (very small portion, maybe 1/3 of a cube)

Water Change: 4-5 gallons every week

AI Prime HD

Phosphates - 0.2

Nitrates - 5-10

I have the same issue.

I have tried twice now in my 25g in my media basket and even in tank in a diy basket.

I tried 2 different lights 

Mine just shrank to nothing and the last batch turned to mush. 

In addition to nitrate and phosphate, macroalgae can also benefit from chelated iron and iodide (as well as other trace elements and B vitamins; but would I hesitate to randomly dose these).  It's possible that your tank has some deficiencies there.  Also, you might just consider extending the refugium light cycle.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 5:15 PM, scvbrent said:

Hoping someone here might be able to help me spot something I'm doing incorrectly! Chaeto doesn't seem to be growing, phosphate and nitrates a little higher than I'd like, and corals seeming  not growing at all. 

IM Nuvo 10

Running for about 8 months

1 clownfish, 1 cleaner shrimp

Barebottom - no sandbed

1st Chamber: Filter floss, 2 Chemo-Pure Blue nano packets (changed every 2-3 weeks)

2nd Chamber: Chaeto in InTank Fugue, IM ChaetoMax light (10 hrs a day, opposite tank light)

Feeding: Strained Frozen Brine/Mysis Shrimp once a day (very small portion, maybe 1/3 of a cube)

Water Change: 4-5 gallons every week

AI Prime HD

Phosphates - 0.2

Nitrates - 5-10

Can you get some lux or PAR readings so we have a better idea of the intensity the tank is receiving from each light?  

(lux meter apps are free, but a handheld meter is <$20....use this at minimum vs using no meter)

What's the tank's salinity?   Temperature?

Can you get your LFS to double-check your test results?

Can you post a pic so we can see the tank and how it's set up?

I assume you're using one of the mainstream salts for your water changes?

Can you use a multimeter and check for stray voltage?