inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Evo 13.5G - (UAS) Upflow Algae Scrubber

EvilFish

Hi,

The skimmer is noisy, hard to maintain (Fluval PS2) and eats coral's food.

I found a better solution - (UAS) Upflow Algae Scrubber. Your water will be crystal clear and maintenance is very easy.

You will need (upd. you don't need an airpump in AIO chamber area).

1. Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget Chaetomax 2-in-1 9W Refugium LED 
  2. 1$ basked from the dollar store (just find any basket that will fit)
  3. Plastic mesh screen (I rub it on asphalt to make it rough)
  4. Airpump (I think is not necessary, but I use one for "Micro and nano bubble tank treatment" and for this scrubber too). I use Fluval Q2 (stay away from noisy Q1).
  5. Airline tubing with many holes (I drill with 1/16 drill). Always use Check Valve and stay away from "Hagen Elite Check Valve".
  6. Airline Gate Valve for air control
  7. One Suction Cups (I use "Marina Black Thermometer Suction Cups")

I attach the mesh screen on each side of the basket (using tie wraps, but you can use reef safe glue).

Use a drill to make the hole in the airline tubing - if not, all the air will out from the biggest holes:

20180807_193656.thumb.jpg.7b3ad38fb116ca90af9a47715784039b.jpg

Scrubber test:

I put it in the middle chamber:

20180826_151826.thumb.jpg.3a7535e938b0473258b6d72aff3df54b.jpg

Result:

20180826_151343.thumb.jpg.87ea7049f720ee8c36477dfce52e58e0.jpg

UAS in working (at night when light off):

Future upgrades:

I need to install this for better airline tubing:

$_58.JPG

Good luck!

• Like 5

Get a lot of salt spray from the bubbles bursting at the surface? I’ve been thinking of an idea for an algae scrubber, but it’s simply putting some scuffed knitting mesh in a rear compartment like you have and shining a light on it, no bubbles. Sorta like chaeto, but algae instead. The bubbles, I think, are used to make flow, but the rear chambers already have water flowing. 

2 hours ago, xthunt said:

Get a lot of salt spray from the bubbles bursting at the surface? I’ve been thinking of an idea for an algae scrubber, but it’s simply putting some scuffed knitting mesh in a rear compartment like you have and shining a light on it, no bubbles. Sorta like chaeto, but algae instead. The bubbles, I think, are used to make flow, but the rear chambers already have water flowing. 

Not a lot. You can use stock cover or Filter Pad to prevent salt spray.

Bubbles is not for CO2?

I tried chaeto, it works great, but Algae Scrubber is better.

On 8/26/2018 at 9:48 PM, EvilFish said:

Not a lot. You can use stock cover or Filter Pad to prevent salt spray.

Bubbles is not for CO2?

I tried chaeto, it works great, but Algae Scrubber is better.

Oh, that I'm not sure and could be wrong. I always thought the bubbles were for flow. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So, for AIO tanks there is no need for airpump. I removed it and there is same grow. 

So, for AIO tanks there is no need for airpump. I removed it and there is same grow. 

On 11/13/2018 at 6:32 PM, xthunt said:

How long did it take for the algae to start growing good on the knitting plastic?

2 week. Once established - grow will be unsane! Best filtration method yet, I throw away noisy skimmer, vodka dosing all everything else.

In the bigger tank, I'll use ATS as only filtration method needed. Skimmer, biopellets, GFO... just lose of maney and more maintenance.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, OptiKen said:

What light are you using on your Algae scrubbers?

2 hours ago, hotdrop said:

I always thought someone should just make a AIO tank with a built in ATS. That would be an amazing innovation in the Nano scene

If they do that, they won't sell you a skimmer, GFO and other stuff.

It’s the stupid filter socks that everyone wants to sell you. I don’t really understand why people use em but I bet they are an excellent recurring revenue stream 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

What is a good source for the plastic mesh screen?

Nevermind, I went with my own design. I simply took two equal lengths of eggcrate (5x12 squares), offset them by 1/2 square, zip tied back to back. Before tying them together, I took a file to the edges and surfaces to create some more surface area. This was the most time consuming part of the project, and messy also. Roughed the back sides of the pieces on concrete. I plan on lighting the middle chamber of my evo 13.5 with this from Amazon. It is coming in tomorrow, I will post some updates when I get some growth. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M7XHKQW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 11 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 8:29 PM, Garf said:

What is a good source for the plastic mesh screen?

Nevermind, I went with my own design. I simply took two equal lengths of eggcrate (5x12 squares), offset them by 1/2 square, zip tied back to back. Before tying them together, I took a file to the edges and surfaces to create some more surface area. This was the most time consuming part of the project, and messy also. Roughed the back sides of the pieces on concrete. I plan on lighting the middle chamber of my evo 13.5 with this from Amazon. It is coming in tomorrow, I will post some updates when I get some growth. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M7XHKQW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How did that light work for you? I was considering using it too since it is submersible but I was afraid it would generate too much heat in the tank. I live in the desert and it is more of a problem to keep a tank cool than warm. Since it has been a year, did this make a better tank and more manageable one for you? Thanks. I have my tank and just got it used a week ago. Want to do all the pre planning and not just jump into it. I have kept reefs before(20 years ago) but that was a 65 gallon and a pain to maintain. I am hoping that a smaller tank should be less maintenance if I am careful what I choose in  terms of filtration and load. 

On 8/26/2018 at 12:42 PM, EvilFish said:

Hi,

The skimmer is noisy, hard to maintain (Fluval PS2) and eats coral's food.

I found a better solution - (UAS) Upflow Algae Scrubber. Your water will be crystal clear and maintenance is very easy.

You will need (upd. you don't need an airpump in AIO chamber area).

2. 1$ basked from the dollar store (just find any basket that will fit)
  3. Plastic mesh screen (I rub it on asphalt to make it rough)
  4. Airpump (I think is not necessary, but I use one for "Micro and nano bubble tank treatment" and for this scrubber too). I use Fluval Q2 (stay away from noisy Q1).
  5. Airline tubing with many holes (I drill with 1/16 drill). Always use Check Valve and stay away from "Hagen Elite Check Valve".
  6. Airline Gate Valve for air control
  7. One Suction Cups (I use "Marina Black Thermometer Suction Cups")

I attach the mesh screen on each side of the basket (using tie wraps, but you can use reef safe glue).

Use a drill to make the hole in the airline tubing - if not, all the air will out from the biggest holes:

20180807_193656.thumb.jpg.7b3ad38fb116ca90af9a47715784039b.jpg

Scrubber test:

I put it in the middle chamber:

20180826_151826.thumb.jpg.3a7535e938b0473258b6d72aff3df54b.jpg

Result:

20180826_151343.thumb.jpg.87ea7049f720ee8c36477dfce52e58e0.jpg

UAS in working (at night when light off):

Future upgrades:

I need to install this for better airline tubing:

$_58.JPG

Good luck!

Can I ask what is in the first chamber? Did you get one of those in tank caddy or block off flow in any ways?  I also see that the middle chamber water is very low, was that on purpose or you are just testing out the scrubber and want to see it working? Thank you and I am new to the fluval but not to the hobby. Looking for anyway to make maintenance more easy so that I can enjoy the little bit of reef I have on my desk. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 12:10 PM, Corky said:

Can I ask what is in the first chamber? Did you get one of those in tank caddy or block off flow in any ways?  I also see that the middle chamber water is very low, was that on purpose or you are just testing out the scrubber and want to see it working? Thank you and I am new to the fluval but not to the hobby. Looking for anyway to make maintenance more easy so that I can enjoy the little bit of reef I have on my desk. 

First chamber: basket (same that in Fuge, I just cut it) and purigen and charbon on top of it.

Second chamber: UAS.

Third chamber: Cobalt MJ900 pump, ATO sensor, hearter.

That's it. First chamber hold well Green Killing Machine AA 9W UV. I install it there sometimes with purigen and charbon on top.

Between 1 and 2 chambers you can put filter floss vertically. You can also transform first chamber to fuge with chaeto to host pods.

On 4/3/2020 at 8:30 AM, EvilFish said:

First chamber: basket (same that in Fuge, I just cut it) and purigen and charbon on top of it.

Second chamber: UAS.

Third chamber: Cobalt MJ900 pump, ATO sensor, hearter.

That's it. First chamber hold well Green Killing Machine AA 9W UV. I install it there sometimes with purigen and charbon on top.

Between 1 and 2 chambers you can put filter floss vertically. You can also transform first chamber to fuge with chaeto to host pods.

Thanks a lot EvilFish, I am going to give it a try. I have my light, not the same as your but it is for growing plants and found a basket at my dollar store which was 3 for a dollar that wedge in perfectly with the section on the bottom that it does not need any suction cup. Love to see some updated pictures once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did this in the second chamber of my IM tank. To be honest I did it half assed thinking it would work half assed. All I did was was cut the mesh to size, big enough for it to stay in place on its own. Chaetomax mounted and on a timer to run opposite light schedule. No airstone needed, the upward flow of the second chamber was more than enough.

I was amazed how well it worked. Every week I was scraping a huge clump of algae off the mesh. It actually worked so well that I had to scrape the walls of the second chamber because algae was also growing on the walls. It made a huge mess and a lot of extra work, but I dealt with it every week because it worked so well. 

• Like 1
bozoreefer
On 5/8/2020 at 5:04 AM, 5*Chris said:

I did this in the second chamber of my IM tank. To be honest I did it half assed thinking it would work half assed. All I did was was cut the mesh to size, big enough for it to stay in place on its own. Chaetomax mounted and on a timer to run opposite light schedule. No airstone needed, the upward flow of the second chamber was more than enough.

I was amazed how well it worked. Every week I was scraping a huge clump of algae off the mesh. It actually worked so well that I had to scrape the walls of the second chamber because algae was also growing on the walls. It made a huge mess and a lot of extra work, but I dealt with it every week because it worked so well. 

Dude

Thanks for confirming that this project works. 

I appreciate it!

What would you do differently to keep the algae growth purely on the basket/screen?

So glad this works. Do you think it'll work well enough to maybe not use a skimmer? haha

Thanks again pal. 

4 hours ago, iammrhappy said:

Dude

Thanks for confirming that this project works. 

I appreciate it!

What would you do differently to keep the algae growth purely on the basket/screen?

So glad this works. Do you think it'll work well enough to maybe not use a skimmer? haha

Thanks again pal. 

I think evilfish's design would've helped a lot, but at the same time I think with the light on that whole section, whatever the light is shining on would get algae on it. 

I wasn't using a skimmer on my Lagoon, just the algae scrubber and I had very little algae in the display. I switched everything over to my 29g with the exception of an algae scrubber and I'm struggling to keep hair algae under control. 

My new setup I'm running a skimmer and using a media reactor for an algae scrubber/cheato reactor setup.