Coral Vue Hydros

Recommendation for slow growing montipora capricornis

lizzyann

Hopefully it doesn't sound too crazy in a nano reef forum, but I'm looking for a slow growing monti cap, especially a purple colored one. I'd love to have a one at the top of my rock work in my IM10, but don't want to be constantly fragging and always worried about other corals getting shaded. Is this even possible? I'm a newbie and willing to accept it if my plan might not actually work at all. I got an idaho grape on a whim, but it sounds like this is one of the really fast, and possibly not that vibrant, varieties. Here's my coral layout plan and FTS for reference.

334854120_CoralPlan.thumb.jpg.b35815c64c0c6dd883b8ddd8eceb9fb1.jpg

IMG_20180823_174059.thumb.jpg.ba888244854fb75ccb112ddf0da758a7.jpg

Let me hear your favorite slow growers that would make more sense in a nano!

monticaps aren't slow growers no matter the colour. 

the part that's highlighted is the 1 ring I purchased, the rest is how much its grown in less than a yr.

20180706_233233.jpg

20180825_205602.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

monticaps aren't slow growers no matter the colour. 

Sorry, I misworded my original post. I know they aren't considered slow growers but am wondering if some types consistently grow faster than others. I read Sunset montipora grew slower than other types in a couple people's tanks, so I was curious if more people could confirm this and if there were any other caps like this. 

Are you saying that any difference is negligible? Do you think having any montipora capricornis up there will probably grow annoyingly fast?

10 minutes ago, lizzyann said:

Sorry, I misworded my original post. I know they aren't considered slow growers but am wondering if some types consistently grow faster than others. I read Sunset montipora grew slower than other types in a couple people's tanks, so I was curious if more people could confirm this and if there were any other caps like this. 

Are you saying that any difference is negligible? Do you think having any montipora capricornis up there will probably grow annoyingly fast?

Sunset don't usually plate out, if ever - they're encrusting monti. any plating/scrolling type will take over a 10 gallon in a matter of (a few) months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1