Top Shelf Aquatics

another algae bloom

ApocalypticSurf6

ApocalypticSurf6

i have another cyano bacteria bloom agian, second time, first time it went away somewhat fast, i put my hand in there brushed as much off got sucked into the filter and the rest was eaten, now its there agian a month later, I saw someone mention if it seems like its comming from one rock and spreading(which it is) there might be a type of sponge that can't live in a aquarium and will slowly die providing the nutients for algae, I do confess to high nitrates dont yell at me for that, il be getting cheatomorpha in an ac200 soon this week, but my question is on the sponge, any comments, this all seems strange to me

the scenerio of a dying sponge is more for algae, not cyano. the idea is the dying item is releasing phosphate into the system, feeding algae growth. i dont know about the connection, if any, of phosphate and cyano. if the rock you are talking about is small, by all means remove it and wash it off with salt water. or at least inspect it.

i let my cyano outbreak (month after startup) run its course. i do admit, it was frustrating.

nalbar

ApocalypticSurf6

hah, small, complete opposite, its the largest chunk in my tank and its built on top of with about everty thing else and its still the most visible, its a 8 pound rock, maybe thats not huge but its a 10 gallon nano, the next down is 3.5 and then bout 20 smaller rocks from the nano rock on liveaquaria.com the stuff blloming algae is figi premium, and theres no way its comming out, I have to do it the hard way

ApocalypticSurf6

sry that was saposed to say blooming and i wanted the mention thers a good 24 lbs in there, not as crowded as you would think though because like I said all small peices i fit in the like a puzzle, this is also i can over stock a lil bit, i like fish

yes, i suspected it would be a large piece. large diversified clean up crew. if i recall it was my snails that finally took out the cyano. try a phosphate pad in your HOB filter. i had a pad in when mine finally went but i dont know if it helped. but it helps your fight if your water is as clean as possible.

some swear by chemi-clean and chemi-pure (i forget which one) for cyano. i have not used either product. but some people say it cleans it up in 24 hours.

another thing i did was syphon. a consistant everyday syphon does wonders for many problems.

nalbar

i have always wondered if my problem was from stocking to fast. the tanks i set up that i was slow on stocking never developed an algae problem of any kind. its like the system is vulnerable for the first month or two.

i know that is not any help.

nalbar

ApocalypticSurf6

yea, i stocked a bit fast but didnt really know anything to that extent, my clean up crew consists of

6 dwarf blue legs

3 scarlet leg

2 turbo snails

1 emrald crab

out to the lfs so buy more, later!

ApocalypticSurf6

dude im low on cash im working on it, I just got a red foot turbo snail, theres another name for it I forget, and my lfs hardly gets stuff other then turbos, so yea but yea I know I need more

Archived