ReefCleaners.org

Returning to hobby. Need tank recommendations

Katcon

Hey all,  I am looking to get back into the hobby after 6 years off.  Had to leave my custom 300g in wall tank and setup in our last house when we moved.  This time I am looking for something much smaller.  Probably something around 30-50g.  I would like it sort of all in one enclosed equipment as much as possible.   Meaning I am a OCD neat freak so don’t want a bunch of stuff hanging off or showing.  Lol.  My last tank was accessed from a closet behind it so was perfect. 

Looking for 30-50g, led’s for mixed reef, sump in stand (if needed), prefer open top and maybe put a screen over to help,with condensation.  I will hook up ATOmand controller later most likely.

• Like 1

So I am leaning towards the Red Sea max nano complete system or the Red Sea MAX E-Series 170 Rimless Aquarium 45 Gallons with AI Hydra 26 HD LED Light.   Any thoughts?   Any benefits on going with the closed lid of the rear max nano over the open top of the rimless?   More condensation and heat I imagine on the closed top.  On the 170 open top I could put a screen over the top

15 hours ago, Lawnman said:

Get a sumped tank. 

I looked online for the RSM all in one that has the sump and lid but can't can't find them any where.   Did they stop making the ones with the lids?

MainelyReefer

My buddy has the Red Sea max nano complete and when he moved it stayed at my house for over a month.... I hated it.  It was loud when skimming, filtration is proprietary and customization is limited.  When people rave about the Red Sea tanks they are mostly talking about the reefer series(sumped).  Even the bracket that holds the light on the max nano sucks as it's dead center of the tank making it ugly when you upgrade to two lights down the road(you will upgrade likely from a single Prime as shadowing will become an issue as corals grow, my buddy runs two). For AIO's innovative marine has it figured out, for sumped systems Red Sea is the golden standard.

40 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

My buddy has the Red Sea max nano complete and when he moved it stayed at my house for over a month.... I hated it.  It was loud when skimming, filtration is proprietary and customization is limited.  When people rave about the Red Sea tanks they are mostly talking about the reefer series(sumped).  Even the bracket that holds the light on the max nano sucks as it's dead center of the tank making it ugly when you upgrade to two lights down the road(you will upgrade likely from a single Prime as shadowing will become an issue as corals grow, my buddy runs two). For AIO's innovative marine has it figured out, for sumped systems Red Sea is the golden standard.

Thanks for the feedback.  I am just not sure if I like the rimless tanks.   Splash spill over bothers me  🙂

• 4 weeks later...