Coral Vue Hydros

Best type of small pistol shrimp to pair with a goby?

coral reefer tx

coral reefer tx

Wanting to get a pistol shrimp and goby.  Probably a Yasha Goby.   I believe there are different types of pistol shrimp...   Any suggestions regarding the best type?   My wish list:

- remain as small as possible (going in a 10 gallon cube)

- I know they are bulldozers, but one that doesn’t rearrange the tank too much would be ideal (part of my reason for wanting one that doesn’t get too big)

- willing to come out of his tunnel during daylight every now and then.

-pairs well with a goby. 

Any thoughts would help.  

I’m open to goby suggestions too.  Doesn’t have to be a Yasha goby, but I’ve had one before and that’s what I’m leaning toward.   

Thanks

LongBeachReefer

Tiger pistol shrimp or a red banded pistol shrimp should be fine. I have had both.  My tiger pistol moves a lot more sand then my red pistol shrimp. But maybe it because he’s still super small. RIP tiger pistol. Had him for almost ten years. The tiger got about 4”. I just got the red pistol shrimp about 1.5” still. Sorry if this sounds confusing. I had the tiger paired with a randelli goby and they always together.  My new red pistol is with a Hi fin banded goby. 

coral reefer tx

Thanks.   just asked my LFS to order a Randall’s aka Candy Cane aka Red Stripe pistol.  And a Yasha goby.  

Pretty sure the Randalls/Red Stripe pistol stays a little smaller than the Tiger pistol.  

• Like 1

I've got a Randalls Pistol and Yellow Watchman Goby. The pistol is constantly popping in and out of his tunnels with the YWG. Very entertaining creature 👍

Also, make sure you have plenty of rocks for the shrimp to borough underneath.