Sinkable

5 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

How does this look for a beginning:

- IM Nuvo 20G Tank

- IM Nuvo 20G Stand

- MiniMax Media Reactor

- Ghost Protein Skimmer

- Nanobot Duo Plus Light with 15" Gooseneck

- 2x InTank Media Basket ** (do i need one for each side? or should i do one fuge and one media?)

- 1x Sicce Return Pump (second return will come straight from media reactor)

- Tunze Nanostream Pump (open to suggestions)

- 20LB Live Sand

- ~20 ish lbs of Live Rock

You don't need 20lbs of rock. 15lbs at most is enough.

The reactor and skimmer, that's optional but not necessary at all on a nano system.

Just now, Clown79 said:

The reactor and skimmer, that's optional but not necessary at all on a nano system.

thats what i said about the skimmer....they are not as effective on smaller systems but if he is keeping mostly sps, it might be a good idea. and i agree on the rock, just depends on how porous it is

4 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

How does this look for a beginning:

- IM Nuvo 20G Tank

- IM Nuvo 20G Stand

- MiniMax Media Reactor

- Ghost Protein Skimmer

- Nanobot Duo Plus Light with 15" Gooseneck

- 2x InTank Media Basket ** (do i need one for each side? or should i do one fuge and one media?)

- 1x Sicce Return Pump (second return will come straight from media reactor)

- Tunze Nanostream Pump (open to suggestions)

- 20LB Live Sand

- ~20 ish lbs of Live Rock

The fuge fits the secondary chambers which are a different dimension than the primary overflow chambers where the media basket or floss holder fits.  In mine I run one media basket, one floss holder and the fuge.  If you want to run a skimmer you would probably need to loose the fuge, as you will still need a chamber open for other equipment (heater, probes, etc).  You could probably fit the heater in one of the overflow chambers if you went with a floss holder instead of two media baskets.  

6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Rock was an estimate really... I hope to get that at LFS so I can choose shapes and sizes, etc. 

5 minutes ago, specore said:

The fuge fits the secondary chambers which are a different dimension than the primary overflow chambers where the media basket or floss holder fits.  In mine I run one media basket, one floss holder and the fuge.  If you want to run a skimmer you would probably need to loose the fuge, as you will still need a chamber open for other equipment (heater, probes, etc).  You could probably fit the heater in one of the overflow chambers if you went with a floss holder instead of two media baskets.  

Makes sense... are there 4 indiviudal chambers in the back?

9 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

Makes sense... are there 4 indiviudal chambers in the back?

5 counting the return chamber.  The media baskets/floss holder fit the 2.8" chamber, fuge baskets the 4" chambers. 

image.png.10d818033a6b570f57866b864004460d.png

Just now, specore said:

5 counting the return chamber.  The media baskets/floss holder fit the 2.8" chamber, fuge baskets the 4" chambers. 

image.png.10d818033a6b570f57866b864004460d.png

Awesome - thanks for the graphic.

So with the skimmer in one of the 4" chambers, I would probably need to use the other 4" for accessories as you stated. 

• Like 1

Read some reviews on the ghost skimmer I have never tried it bc the reviews were not the best. 

What are you trying to accomplish with all of that filtration?  Having a reactor (if for gfo?) , skimmer, fuge for nutrient export is excessive.. a lot of nano reefers dont have any of that and do great with water changes alone.. personally I run the intank filter with floss, rox carbon,  cheato,  and tunze 9001 skimmer. My nitrates where zero and my phosphate was zero so I removed the cheato and now my nitrates have gone up to 3ish and phosphate is at least detectable and corals seem happier..

Any who. Happy reefing!! And welcome to nano reef!!!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Weikel said:

Read some reviews on the ghost skimmer I have never tried it bc the reviews were not the best. 

What are you trying to accomplish with all of that filtration?  Having a reactor (if for gfo?) , skimmer, fuge for nutrient export is excessive.. a lot of nano reefers dont have any of that and do great with water changes alone.. personally I run the intank filter with floss, rox carbon,  cheato,  and tunze 9001 skimmer. My nitrates where zero and my phosphate was zero so I removed the cheato and now my nitrates have gone up to 3ish and phosphate is at least detectable and corals seem happier..

Any who. Happy reefing!! And welcome to nano reef!!!

I guess my reef setups were limited to large sizes where that stuff was necessary... You do make a good point. and it will save me some time and money

Maybe just having a protein skimmer with the dual skim boxes could work

17 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

I guess my reef setups were limited to large sizes where that stuff was necessary... You do make a good point. and it will save me some time and money

yes, paired with weekly water changes should suffice

18 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

Sounds like a good plan. As your tank matures if you feel the need it's easy to add equipment too!!! I think I saw someone mention filter socks but imo I love the filter floss intank sells its (the blue and white stuff) it works good and is cheap.. way easier to just pull some floss and add new ,compared to cleaning socks.. 

Just now, Weikel said:

Sounds like a good plan. As your tank matures if you feel the need it's easy to add equipment too!!! I think I saw someone mention filter socks but imo I love the filter floss intank sells its (the blue and white stuff) it works good and is cheap.. way easier to just pull some floss and add new ,compared to cleaning socks.. 

yea we all advised against them unless in my case which i use them for a few hours once a month to polish the water and then i rinse and save em

25 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

I personally have never run a skimmer on smaller tanks.  My recommendation would be get things up and running without.  If you ever decide you need one it can always be added.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Euphylin me said:

yea we all advised against them unless in my case which i use them for a few hours once a month to polish the water and then i rinse and save em

I have never seen the carbon pods before? Is this common? I think the brand name is ChemiPure Blue

carbon pads*...i have seen them used before. i use them in the intake filter floss basket and i like them. easier to change out weekly than carbon bags. they are sold by deep blue

2 minutes ago, specore said:

I personally have never run a skimmer on smaller tanks.  My recommendation would be get things up and running without.  If you ever decide you need one it can always be added.  

Agreed! Save the money and spend it on a rodi system haha

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

I have never seen the carbon pods before? Is this common? I think the brand name is ChemiPure Blue

A lot of people use chemipure blue (imo overpriced) it is juts prepackaged rox carbon and a little gfo and chemipure elite I think is the same but with purigen as well..

• Like 1
Just now, Weikel said:

A lot of people use chemipure blue (imo overpriced) it is juts prepackaged rox carbon and a little gfo and chemipure elite I think is the same but with purigen as well..

All this stuff was not around when I was really into reefing lol. I remember, Neptune had just started and had no accessories or wifi LOL.

8 minutes ago, Weikel said:

I'm like you.

I buy my media in bulk and bag it myself. 

Cheaper, control of qty used, change out every 2-3 weeks.

Better results 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

All this stuff was not around when I was really into reefing lol. I remember, Neptune had just started and had no accessories or wifi LOL.

i agree with weikel. its convenient and that is what you pay for. i am going to stop using it after my last bag is exhausted

Just now, Sinkable said:

Do you think 1 or 2 internal powerheads?

depends on what you go with. for cheap wavemakers, i like the hydor koralia nano. or the aquamai. up to you but i think in the nuvo fusion 20 you get 2 returns so i would just use one 

1 minute ago, Euphylin me said:

depends on what you go with. for cheap wavemakers, i like the hydor koralia nano. or the aquamai. up to you but i think in the nuvo fusion 20 you get 2 returns so i would just use one 

I was thinking 1 of the EcoTech Powerheads. And I am upgrading pump.