Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New AIO Nano Tank Setup Advice

Sinkable

yea, if you are getting the media basket (highly recommend) you could to floss, carbon, and then gfo or purigen or phosguard. i would recommend purigen or phosguard unless you get a gfo reactor (which isnt necessary)

1 hour ago, Sinkable said:

What do people use for the media compartments ? Im assuming a carbon, a phosphate remover, ??

Yep.. also I grew cheato in one of my baskets.. worked too good lol.. the ecotech mp10 is top notch but pricey. They have used ones for like 130ish pretty often in online forums.. I like having 2 power heads mp10 for random flow in the tank for corals and like a korilla wavemaker that stays on constant and kinda have it low to push all the waste out from behind my rocks so i can vacuum it out during water changes. But that's just me try out one and see how ya like it.

Dont forget to add test kits to your list of items.. I like red sea but salfert makes good ones for cheaper too.. 

1 minute ago, Weikel said:

Yep.. also I grew cheato in one of my baskets.. worked too good lol.. the ecotech mp10 is top notch but pricey. They have used ones for like 130ish pretty often in online forums.. I like having 2 power heads mp10 for random flow in the tank for corals and like a korilla wavemaker that stays on constant and kinda have it low to push all the waste out from behind my rocks so i can vacuum it out during water changes. But that's just me try out one and see how ya like it.

Dont forget to add test kits to your list of items.. I like red sea but salfert makes good ones for cheaper too.. 

This sounds good - I am ready to get this thing going. Pretty much have everything picked out. My plan for the tank is to get unique corals and 2 mated clownfish, maybe a blenny / shrimp... but mostly to focus on SPS / LPS Unique Items. Is this light going to stand up?

6 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

This sounds good - I am ready to get this thing going. Pretty much have everything picked out. My plan for the tank is to get unique corals and 2 mated clownfish, maybe a blenny / shrimp... but mostly to focus on SPS / LPS Unique Items. Is this light going to stand up?

yes, if you break the tank up into four vertical columns, place the sps in the top half of the 2nd and third columns depending on flow and the lps in the other spots and you should be fine

4 minutes ago, Euphylin me said:

yes, if you break the tank up into four vertical columns, place the sps in the top half of the 2nd and third columns depending on flow and the lps in the other spots and you should be fine

Shoot my SO just told me I should go big or go home,.......................

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

Dave's lights are top notch.  No worries with the Nanobox Duo

2 hours ago, Sinkable said:

What do people use for the media compartments ? Im assuming a carbon, a phosphate remover, ??

I use a small amount of carbon, purigen, phosguard in small quantities as needed, and floss

• Like 1

What light 🤔? Did I miss it

My advice get the new biocube led 32gl. Start with live sand and dry rock. Use Dr. Tim's one and done. Use as directed. Add a coralife protein skimmer after the first month in the 1st chamber.put your heater in chamber 3 by the pump. You will also need a wave maker. 0822181703_HDR.thumb.jpg.ff567733787bf92a64e359ac7fe3eac4.jpgMy tank has been up and running for six months. I've never had a problem. Do a 10gl water change once a week and check your parameters every 2 to 3 days. I can go almost 2 weeks in Between water changes, just depends on water parameters. Also do your research. I watched many you tube videos that made it very simple. Good luck

• Wow 1
2 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

Shit, I might have just bought a Red Sea Max 170

Lol I was going to say get that tank supposedly they are top notch if you have the cash.. i actually just bought the rsr 250 and am in the process of setting it up.

The nanobox duo is a great light tons of control.  I have the nanobox retro which is the same thing on my biocube.  For my reefer i bought 2 kessil 360s so we will see how that goes..

Lol I was going to say get that tank supposedly they are top notch if you have the cash.. i actually just bought the rsr 250 and am in the process of setting it up.

The nanobox duo is a great light tons of control.  I have the nanobox retro which is the same thing on my biocube.  For my reefer i bought 2 kessil 360s so we will see how that goes..

Yea... well, I was close to buying the freaking 550 or 650 but had to catch myself!! NANO, N-A-N-O

• Haha 1

NEW BUILD

- Red Sea Max 170
- Reef Octopus Classic 150 Skimmer

- Nanobot Duo Plus Light with 15" Gooseneck

Is it still optional for a reactor? 

With a sump, I may be thinking Neptune Controller with accessories. 

5 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

NEW BUILD

- Red Sea Max 170
- Reef Octopus Classic 150 Skimmer

- Nanobot Duo Plus Light with 15" Gooseneck

Is it still optional for a reactor? 

With a sump, I may be thinking Neptune Controller with accessories. 

Haha your a gadget guy like me . Yea you don't need a reactor. Now you have a skimmer big enough to do something too!..just wait on the extra goodies until you see what your needs are lol.. did you dose your old tanks? I started dosing 2 part. Changed my life I keep nitrates down via skimmer now but did all like macro algae too. I  Keep ca and alk up from 2 part and mg dosed by hand as needed. And way less water changes are needed now . Stability is key for coral growth so replenishing via water changes made my parms swing to quickly and pissed my off corals. But this is cary before the horse get that tank wet and cycled then slowly stocked and see where you are at.

Haha your a gadget guy like me . Yea you don't need a reactor. Now you have a skimmer big enough to do something too!..just wait on the extra goodies until you see what your needs are lol.. did you dose your old tanks? I started dosing 2 part. Changed my life I keep nitrates down via skimmer now but did all like macro algae too. I  Keep ca and alk up from 2 part and mg dosed by hand as needed. And way less water changes are needed now . Stability is key for coral growth so replenishing via water changes made my parms swing to quickly and pissed my off corals. But this is cary before the horse get that tank wet and cycled then slowly stocked and see where you are at.

I freaking love gadgets... 

You know, I didnt dose my last tank. The new dosing technology is crazy sophisticated, although I have seen like 6-8 part dosing pumps that are only 150-200$ much more reasonable than a Neptune. 

4 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

I freaking love gadgets... 

You know, I didnt dose my last tank. The new dosing technology is crazy sophisticated, although I have seen like 6-8 part dosing pumps that are only 150-200$ much more reasonable than a Neptune. 

Yea I dont see a reason for a Neptune I use a cheap ass jeabo doser works great well for that first 4 months haha. But honestly your not reefin until at least a year in. I think people who by the apex just need another reason to spend money lol.. don't get me wrong I am sure we will both get there someday but as of now I am good without one. But combining a temp controller and dosing would take less space and there is some cool stuff with graphing levels too. And damn I am no pro either and the reefers on here I respect all love the apex. Just get the thing wet and go from there !!! Fyi start a build thread so we can all check out your progression.  Makes for an interesting read.

Yea I dont see a reason for a Neptune I use a cheap ass jeabo doser works great well for that first 4 months haha. But honestly your not reefin until at least a year in. I think people who by the apex just need another reason to spend money lol.. don't get me wrong I am sure we will both get there someday but as of now I am good without one. But combining a temp controller and dosing would take less space and there is some cool stuff with graphing levels too. And damn I am no pro either and the reefers on here I respect all love the apex. Just get the thing wet and go from there !!! Fyi start a build thread so we can all check out your progression.  Makes for an interesting read.

How do you dose?

4 minutes ago, Sinkable said:

How do you dose?

Well a cliff note version is: Alk swings the quickest and pisses off my coral and ca follows suit. I tested for alk drop over a week then bought brs 2 part . They have calculators that will tell you how much to dose per day.  Its equal parts . I dose via a doser. Mg does not go down as fast and doesn't bother corals so once a month I test for that and dose by hand. If the mg gets way to low is messes with ca and alk up take.

How do you dose?

I personally like ESV B-ionoc better than the BRS.  Only two parts to dose, mg stays spot on without having to adjust separately.