Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wyatt45 Biocube 16

Wyatt45

Hey Jackal, I thought a good idea was to run the refugium light at night to help reduce ph swings?

hope I’m close to being finished with cycle. Would like to add SOMETHING this weekend with the kids. 🙂

8 hours ago, Wyatt45 said:

Hey Jackal, I thought a good idea was to run the refugium light at night to help reduce ph swings?

That's why I initially set mine up to run overnight.  It's a debated topic (like most things reefing) as to whether it makes a big enough difference to noticeably effect the tank. 

There are many people that successfully run their refugiums during the day. 

8 hours ago, Ladytank said:

Refugiums are great if you have a mandarin fish. I've been watching videos on how to setup and cultivate copepods. One day I will add that mandarin goby.

Did you get a chance to check out Steven Parker copepods on Facebook... good stuff. 

Also, this is my copepod culture setup I came up with which seemed like it could work well, though I haven’t kept it up since my mandarin didn’t end up needing it.

1D8BC5B0-CC1B-4E5E-A78F-440BBA1E8E6E.jpeg

7 hours ago, banasophia said:

Did you get a chance to check out Steven Parker copepods on Facebook... good stuff. 

Also, this is my copepod culture setup I came up with which seemed like it could work well, though I haven’t kept it up since my mandarin didn’t end up needing it.

1D8BC5B0-CC1B-4E5E-A78F-440BBA1E8E6E.jpeg

That's a neat idea with the infuser in the center for the macro.  Did you have it running long enough to see if the Chaeto stays alive in there? 

1 hour ago, Jackal227 said:

That's a neat idea with the infuser in the center for the macro.  Did you have it running long enough to see if the Chaeto stays alive in there? 

Yeah, the chaeto is still alive now but I haven’t fed the pods or done anything to maintain it like water changes for a couple months so the pods are minimal and it looks like there’s a bacterial bloom of some kind especially in the one on the left, so if I wanted to get the culture going again I would need to do a 100% water change and rinse the chaeto. When I was using it before, it needed phyto or crushed up pellets every couple days and then I would use the spigots to harvest pods by pouring some of the water into a pitcher then straining with a 50 micron filter, then I would add fresh saltwater back into the containers, which took care of water changes. 

The lids can easily be drilled with a bit for plastic, and I drilled two holes into each lid - one for the air bubbler tubing and one as a vent/feeding port. The holes fit a plastic pipette to squirt in phyto, and I cut off a pipette to make a tiny funnel for adding in the crushed up pellets:

CCACD21D-1480-4B1A-A957-0DB2E09B7356.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wyatt45 said:

Had the pleasure of  meeting banasophia at one of local LFS tonight!  Thanks for the meet up and al the tips of the trade!

Yes, it was really great meeting you in person! I can’t wait until your tank is cycled... it’s good timing too because there’s lots of good stuff at our LFSs right now. I forgot to tell you - the place I went to after we met up was still acclimating a huge shipment they got in today. I was tempted, but I just ordered several things from Live Aquaria this morning, so I’m trying to pace myself. 

By the way, I took this video of my emerald crab tonight... sorry it’s not the best video, decided to film it for you at the last minute. I’ll probably be rehoming two of my three soon because I don’t have much algae. They made short work of the bubble algae in my two tanks.

1 hour ago, Wyatt45 said:

That’s a great video.  He’s a greedy little bastard. Did you tell him to take it nice?  Sometimes works with my Malinois. 

What type of anenome was it you have?

Yeah that’s why I’ve taken to calling them my emerald pigs haha. They need to learn some table manners haha.

In the Biocube 16 I have several rock flower anemones. In the Nuvo 10 I have a bubble tip anemone. The rock flowers are the ones that sting less and move around less, but they do not host clownfish.

This thread about rock flowers is great, and very active so it’s fun to follow if you’re not already:

3 hours ago, Ladytank said:

This is my newest addition today.

IMG_1536442476491.jpg

Wow, what is it? Very cool!!!

12 hours ago, Wyatt45 said:

The first members to the bio world 🌎🙂

D7F97A79-B761-45B6-AA92-D127145F28AF.jpeg

Very nice! Are you naming them?

49 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Wow, what is it? Very cool!!!

Very nice! Are you naming them?

Well the 4 year old wanted to name them Minnie and Pluto.... I’m open to suggestions...

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Ladytank said:

This is my newest addition today.

IMG_1536442476491.jpg

Is that a long spine urchin?  They can grow pretty large.  I've read that they can get up to basketball size.