Pod Your Reef

RFA troubles

Aurortpa

I got a 2nd RFA maybe a week or so ago, and noticed he wasn’t eating altho looked expanded. Tonight he seemed to have the itch to wander out of his shell and then I noticed his foot was quite red and what may be a tiny tear or degeneration at least.

I know this tune all too well. Yet I am puzzled even if he had that tear via collection or upon purchase, would he even have lasted this long???  Usually they go down in a matter of days if not faster in my experience?

I have him in-tank in a containment dome (coke bottle top) and I know the chances are slim but tried to treat him with a very diluted methylene blue dip, as I have never heard of other treatments having success.

All other livestock is ok except a coral frag that is recovering but that was my fault and unrelated.  

All parameters within typical range—actually working on raising my phos and nitrates.

DE7E40A1-31FC-4048-AD81-B458963B44BE.jpeg

01B265D1-6237-486A-833B-1BA60D1D6960.jpeg

Day 3 of RFA treatment. Good news, hardly any mucous today, bad news is that his foot seems to have gotten more degenerated.

He doesn’t smell bad so he’s not quite gone yet so I am going to continue my treatments until I feel he may be a danger to the tank.  As a precaution, I have added Polyfilter back into my filtration just in case. I give him a dip back in fresh display water before rentry to the tank, 9604E7FE-D702-4E53-BD27-7240C28BF835.thumb.jpeg.857155194dc959c0706b7bb61fd024ce.jpegbut I am sure he absorbs some medication. Who knows, maybe he’ll turn around.