Coral Vue Hydros

My First Reef Tank Adventure

Jaybird5

Hello everyone! I just setup my 20g nano reef today. I think this will be a good way to learn is by just posting all my thoughts and questions into this one journal. All I have in the tank currently is 20lbs of live sand, 17lbs of dry rock, with premixed saltwater from my LFS. I have a powerhead that I have had for a while helping circulate the tank. That is about it for now. Anything I must buy at the moment? Do I need to dose with ammonia? I plan to run 2 Hydor Koralia 425s and my LFS has been talking up this Kessil light they use on their frag tanks. I know I need some more rock but I was hoping to get some live to help cycle. I really do not know where to get any because my LFS only has dry for now. I also just ordered my heater for the tank and I plan to get the API reef master test kit when I get more into cycling. Any help and info is much appreciated! I cannot wait to learn as much as I can. 

• Like 2

Hello and Welcome

At times you may get better responses by starting threads for questions in the beginners or general inquiry.

The journal section is really good for documenting your progress.

You don't need more rock. If anything 17lbs is more than plenty. The 1.5-2 lbs per gallon rule is old school.

Unfortunately with dry rock cycling you do need to introduce ammonia. Dr Tim's ammonia and bacteria dosing is what is the cleanest method for cycling with dry rock.

You can add a piece of liverock instead but it seeds the dry rock and can take time unless you use 50% of live and dry.

You would need to get liverock at the lfs which can be difficult now due to collection laws.

Is the tank and all in one, sump, or using a hang on filter?

As for lighting, there are many options depending on budget and corals you want to keep.

Kessil is a nice light but definitely do research on lighting. 

Here are a few to research in various budgets

Ai Prime

Nanobox

Current orbit

Aquamaxx nemolight

Micmol

Mars Aqua

Api test kits are fine to use but if you are going to keep corals, it's best to use these brands for the following

Alkalinity - salifert, red sea, or hann checker

Magnesium - salifert or red sea

Phosphate - salifert or hanna checker

Do lots of research. There is a wealth of info just on this forum. Tons of stickied threads on very important subjects

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the reply.

I'll keep that in mind when asking questions and other information. 

Okay so how much ammonia should dose? I have a bottle of the Ace janitorial strength ammonia that has no additives. 

My tank does not have a sump and is not a all in one. It is just a plan aqueon 20g high. I did not think I needed a HOB filter. I could add one, I have plenty just sitting around. 

I do not know much about lights, but I do know I want LEDs and I will probably just need one that can grow beginner coral because lack of experience.

1 hour ago, Jaybird5 said:

Thank you for the reply.

I'll keep that in mind when asking questions and other information. 

Okay so how much ammonia should dose? I have a bottle of the Ace janitorial strength ammonia that has no additives. 

My tank does not have a sump and is not a all in one. It is just a plan aqueon 20g high. I did not think I needed a HOB filter. I could add one, I have plenty just sitting around. 

I do not know much about lights, but I do know I want LEDs and I will probably just need one that can grow beginner coral because lack of experience.

Having a filter can help with removing particles as well as running media.

If you plan on soft corals it's a good idea to run carbon as they release toxins that can bother other corals. It also polishes water.

Using filter floss cut to size to trap particles keeps the tank clean. The floss needs replacing twice a week so buying floss in bulk is better 

You don't want to use stock filter media, cartridges, or biowheels.

It's important to understand lighting for corals. A high tank will limit led options as some fixtures don't have the par required in deeper levels.

I would highly recommend to start researching. Knowledge is key in this hobby, understanding is important.

Research

Cycling with dry rock and ammonia dosing

Weekly Maintenance

Filtration and media

Water chemistry/testing

Corals and lighting

The reason we all advise on research is you gotta be able to know/understand what's going on in the tank and how to evaluate and correct issues without having to ask and wait for others to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Having a filter can help with removing particles as well as running media.

If you plan on soft corals it's a good idea to run carbon as they release toxins that can bother other corals. It also polishes water.

Using filter floss cut to size to trap particles keeps the tank clean. The floss needs replacing twice a week so buying floss in bulk is better 

You don't want to use stock filter media, cartridges, or biowheels.

It's important to understand lighting for corals. A high tank will limit led options as some fixtures don't have the par required in deeper levels.

I would highly recommend to start researching. Knowledge is key in this hobby, understanding is important.

Research

Cycling with dry rock and ammonia dosing

Weekly Maintenance

Filtration and media

Water chemistry/testing

Corals and lighting

The reason we all advise on research is you gotta be able to know/understand what's going on in the tank and how to evaluate and correct issues without having to ask and wait for others to help.

Okay after doing some reading on HOBs and such. I realized I want a Tidal 55. Now I know it is for chemical filtration, so should I get this right now? Or wait for my cycle to be over?

I mean I plan to use filter floss and some carbon in a media bag like you have suggested in other forums. Would that help cycling or just be a waste of time? 

On another forum, A user is breaking down his tank and he has three AI Sol Blues for $100 each. Do you think one would be good for my tank? I am just worried because the lights came out in 2012. I really am thinking of just spending the money and getting the AI Prime HD. I just cannot find much info on the AI Sol Blues so I am a little judgemental. 

Well I could not find live rock anywhere to help with my cycle, but then it hit me. Petco has live rock in their tanks with fish, so I picked out a small little piece probably about 2 lbs. So my lbs of rock is around 20 now.  Here is a pic of the current tank. It has a random light I purchased about 3 years ago just for looks I guess 

IMG_1836.JPG

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @Jaybird5! 👋

Congrats on your first nano reef! Lots of great advice from @Clown79 ❤️

On 8/22/2018 at 4:54 PM, Jaybird5 said:

I realized I want a Tidal 55. Now I know it is for chemical filtration, so should I get this right now? Or wait for my cycle to be over?

I mean I plan to use filter floss and some carbon in a media bag like you have suggested in other forums. Would that help cycling or just be a waste of time?

It's really up to you, mechanical and chemical filtration are not technically necessary to complete the cycle process, you could wait if you want. Some people prefer to filter the entire time, there's no harm in doing so. If it were me, I'd start with just filter floss and change it every 2 or 3 days at first, then add carbon later. There's been a number of discussions over the years, these might help:

• Like 1

Well update. I have been waiting for this diatom bloom everyone keeps saying will happen. I have added 2 hydor koralia 240s and my tidal 55 to my tank. I removed all the filter media from the filter and plan to put filter floss in soon. 

What is this like film in the tank? You can see in the back where I rubbed some parts of it off. I think its dust from the sand but i dont know. 

I see some type of like algae on some parts of my rock. I hope this is progress. I cannot wait for this to be over!

IMG_1853.JPG

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Jaybird5 said:

Well update. I have been waiting for this diatom bloom everyone keeps saying will happen. I have added 2 hydor koralia 240s and my tidal 55 to my tank. I removed all the filter media from the filter and plan to put filter floss in soon. 

What is this like film in the tank? You can see in the back where I rubbed some parts of it off. I think its dust from the sand but i dont know. 

I see some type of like algae on some parts of my rock. I hope this is progress. I cannot wait for this to be over!

IMG_1853.JPG

that's just "new tank dust"  ..........keep wiping it off and your filters will suck it up.

• Like 3

Well well well what do we have here.

Finally diatoms! its all in the sand and slowly spreading. 

What is my next move? Just keep monitoring levels?

IMG_1872.JPG

Yes, if you purchased the doctor Tim's then you should see on the back that you add until it reaches a certain ppm of ammonia (I think it's 2). Your tank should be able to process it within 24 hours down to 0 ammonia. When It can do this, you can add a small clean up crew just make sure you don't have any nitrite and your nitrates aren't super high

For a 20g I would recommend

2 cerith snails

3 nesarrius

2 astrea

2-3 hermits

Some people may recommend  alot more for your clean up crew but if you can easily starve your clean up crew by adding too many In couple days the diatoms should be gone and you can add fish

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Euphylin me said:

Yes, if you purchased the doctor Tim's then you should see on the back that you add until it reaches a certain ppm of ammonia (I think it's 2). Your tank should be able to process it within 24 hours down to 0 ammonia. When I can do this, you can add a small clean up crew

For a 20g I would recommend

2 cerith snails

3 nesarrius

2 astrea

2-3 hermits

Some people may recommend  alot more for your clean up crew but if you can easily starve your clean up crew by adding too many In couple days the diatoms should be gone and you can add fish

I never thought this day would come true. Gosh I am so happy. I am so close. Thank you 

17 hours ago, Jaybird5 said:

I never thought this day would come true. Gosh I am so happy. I am so close. Thank you 

Np! Take the live stock adding real slow... Hat fish do you plan on stocking your tank with?

6 hours ago, Euphylin me said:

Np! Take the live stock adding real slow... Hat fish do you plan on stocking your tank with?

I want a really cool patterned clownfish pair. 

Then I have no idea. 

I like the royal gramma or just a type of goby I guess. Any suggestions?

On CUC I learned about the tuxedo urchin and I think it would be really cool to have one.  How do you know how many snails you need? I am assuming it is just experience. 

Don't get the api master kit. It's inaccurate. The standard Api marine kit is fine for Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. It's cheap and works. But when it comes to other tests go with red sea, salifert or Hannah. 

Cuc rule of thumb is 1 member per gallon. Some people do just a variety of snails, others do snails and hermits. But wait until your cycled and have had a couple fish for a week or so so the cuc has a jumb to do and doest die. 

For filtration I would get an over sized aquaclear. youll move good water and could fit a heater in their to keep it out of your display. Then run some filter floss to capture particulates and chemipure Blu for chemical was your cycled . That's just what I'd do in your case. 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Jaybird5 said:

I want a really cool patterned clownfish pair. 

Then I have no idea. 

I like the royal gramma or just a type of goby I guess. Any suggestions?

On CUC I learned about the tuxedo urchin and I think it would be really cool to have one.  How do you know how many snails you need? I am assuming it is just experience. 

for the clean up crew you can purchase before your fish but you dont want to wait more than a few days before you get a fish. some will recommend waiting as @MrObscura has. which is perfectly fine. no harm in waiting to get a clean up crew and the 1 member per gallon is kind of a guidline rather than a rule. if you dont over stock or overfeed your tank then you dont need a huge clean up crew. the reason alot of people do snails only is because hermits may kill  the snails to take their shell. the best way to combat this is to add plenty of different sized empty shells in the tank for the hermits to move into. 2 clowns and a royal gramma sounds great! if you are going to get a tuxedo urchin make sure you grab some dried seaweed in case your clean up crew does to well of a job! i also agree to not grab the api test kit. there are a couple of tests that api do a decent job on but if you can afford to get a Hannah checker for a few things and get salifert, red sea, and there are a couple others that are good as well

• Like 1

Well today when I got to my LFS I was undecided on to either get fish or a CUC. I asked for an opinion of a worker. He was asking me all these questions and after I told him I did a 50% water change because my cycle was over. He preceded to tell me that I was wrong in doing this because I could have started a mini cycle because of this water change. He said I should have done a 25% water change. I then told him i cycled with ammonia and he again said I was wrong for doing that. He said I should have cycled with a fish and that is what they recommend. He then said that I do not need a CUC right now because there is nothing for them to eat.

I was so angry after this conversation. He acted like I have no idea what I was doing. I wanted to leave. 

Any who I wanted either a royal gramma or this green neon goby they had.  I went with the gramma. I might go back for the goby. So I have since acclimated and added the gramma. He or she is currently hiding in a rock. I am hoping he survives this ordeal. He seemed pretty rattled I guess. I do not what else to do. I might just order my cleanup crew online. It is hard to determine what they have at this LFS i just see alot of shells. Oh well pray for me.