inTank Media Baskets

New Hermit Crab Species

johnmaloney

1 minute ago, johnmaloney said:

That is a worm coming out of him that ate the snail. You should remove him. 

I found a second one as well, these were in the batch I got from you last week! :scarry: I did isolate them in a separate container as I wasn't sure what they were.  Same with the yellowy-orange hairy worms, not sure if they are good guys are bad guys so I got out all I could!

Not your thread, but I'll post it here anyway. The striped worm mass is probably a type of hair worm, spaghetti worm, or ribbon worm. They are fine, though I've never figured out exactly what they are, I've had them. 

As for the ones in the ceriths.... I really dont know. Like I posted in your thread, I dont think it's a peanut worm, though I could be wrong. If I had to guess, I'd say it's some type of predatory ribbon worm (yes, there are a bunch of different types of ribbon worms. Most are predatory.) But that's just a guess. I'm gonna need a lot of time to see if I can dig anything like that up for you.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Not your thread, but I'll post it here anyway. The striped worm mass is probably a type of hair worm, spaghetti worm, or ribbon worm. They are fine, though I've never figured out exactly what they are, I've had them. 

As for the ones in the ceriths.... I really dont know. Like I posted in your thread, I dont think it's a peanut worm, though I could be wrong. If I had to guess, I'd say it's some type of predatory ribbon worm (yes, there are a bunch of different types of ribbon worms. Most are predatory.) But that's just a guess. I'm gonna need a lot of time to see if I can dig anything like that up for you.

Thanks, I knew spaghetti and hair worms are usually fine although I think teeny has had issues with them bugging his zoas.  Never heard of a ribbon worm, sounds interesting!  It definitely wasn't very shy, when I was holding it, it was going out and in and moving all over!

Sorry again for the issues, shoot me an email when you can and we will work something out for you. I don't check NR much so if you can email I would appreciate it. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, looky here! 

A few questions and I can get to digging tomorrow. Sorry, I'll be too busy to do much today. 

First question. Is this the same hermit you were asking about before? Cuz it looks more like a dwarf zebra hermit, than the the one pictured before. 

Next. Is the snail hairy, or is that algae growing on it? 

Third. Where were these collected? I dont really mean specific locations. I mean environments. Shallow rocks, seagrass beds, fouling habitat, that kinda stuff. 

Just offhand, the crab looks kinda like a spider crab, of sorts. By the carapace color, I'm guessing it was found in a weed bed, of some sort. Can you confirm or deny its identity? There are some major differences between that specimen, and a typical decorator crab/spider crab. However, it does have the overall appearance of one. And, have you tried leaving some random macros in with it to see if it does? 

I know, lots of questions. But, I'm in the midwest with nothing more than books, the interweb, and a passing interest in odd inverts. I haven't even been to the ocean in over 30 years. You live there, and five other regularly. It would be a tremendous help to my searches.

While I'm on the toilet, the snail is difficult to judge. Is it flat? Like maybe a type of Chinese hat snail, or some other species in the Calyptraede family?

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-tmus-us-revc&q=Calyptraeidae&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLSz9U3MCqrqCoxAAC4p4V3DgAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwitlImSp9TeAhXQrVMKHVL8AnAQgOQBMAh6BAgQEDg&biw=199&bih=311

There is an image (first image) here that looks similar, but much smoother than yours. Its labeled as a slipper snail. But doesnt look like a slipper snail to me. Wondering if its flat and whorled like that.

On 11/3/2018 at 3:57 PM, RayWhisperer said:

😴

Yes that is the same hermit but the color isn’t true. 

I know the IDs on the other two. I figured you would have fun with them and they were the only photos I had on hand. 🙂

Both from the Keys. The snail has algae growing on him that is Modulus Modulus. The Button snail, it is highly variable between colonies. When I find them up by me they are larger. The other is Pitho Mirabilis. Yep, decorator relative.

If yours is flattish, look up Trochia Schumacher. It's not going to be yours, as far as I can tell. Very little info I was able to find. As best I can tell, T. schumacher is a NZ species. Just trying to get a fist to see if I'm on the right track.

20 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Why is your camera so sucky 😛 Do we not buy enough snails so you can get a better one?

The sad part is I own like 8 cameras. It is me I think.

1 hour ago, johnmaloney said:

The time you enjoy wasting.... 🙂

I don’t come across much these days I haven’t come across before. 

Well, you need to come across the ones I listed a few weeks ago. Those button snails are way cool, too. Are they good for CUC?

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Why is your camera so sucky 😛 Do we not buy enough snails so you can get a better one?

2 hours ago, johnmaloney said:

The sad part is I own like 8 cameras. It is me I think.

It is probably really high tech, being a potato and all. 

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Well, you need to come across the ones I listed a few weeks ago. Those button snails are way cool, too. Are they good for CUC?

Yes. They are good cleaners and hardy too. Take the place of Astrea snails. But they are small, probably not cost effective sort of thing. 

On the hunt tonight for oddball hermits. Heading to that area I found the pink striped. Maybe more fun stuff come out at night. Will see what I can turn up.