Cultivated Reef

New Hermit Crab Species

johnmaloney

On 8/22/2018 at 10:34 AM, Rob22 said:

That’s a neat looking crab. I was about to suggest a species from Singapore maybe hitchhiked on a ship or something, but this doesn’t look anything like that one. 

That is a possibility I am near an international port. Stuff does come in according to local lore and I believe it (seen a lot of exotics, most blame it on aquaculture and I believe that too) but they rarely breed. It may have been swept in with last hurricane too. We get small populations of animals whose range is supposed to be only as north as Latin America. Animals that tend to hang out on seaweed. 

Finally have a day to post some new species I have been finding. I will do that soon. Also will work on better pics of these guys. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

No, but I still have them and may try a picture again. 

E looks completely uncomfortable, that is not how they are shaped at all. Pacific Ocean I am guessing? 

You guys need to consider flying me around the world. Just saying.

• Like 4
On 10/19/2018 at 12:19 AM, johnmaloney said:

No, but I still have them and may try a picture again. 

E looks completely uncomfortable, that is not how they are shaped at all. Pacific Ocean I am guessing? 

You guys need to consider flying me around the world. Just saying.

Not even lying.  I will pay up to 40 bucks if you could source one of those "e" crabs. That thing is cool.

• Like 1

B.

Distribution. Northwestern Atlantic: from Straits of Florida, Bahamas, and Caribbean Sea. Depth: 150 to 472
E.
Distribution. Western Atlantic: southeastern coast of United States (North Carolina to Florida), Gulf of
Mexico, Caribbean Sea, to Santa Catarina, Brazil. Depth: 11 to 1020 m.
On 8/22/2018 at 10:15 AM, johnmaloney said:

3CC8EB19-6B47-4DAC-A49A-C673E9EF78B5.jpeg

I’ve got some of these and they are Acadian Hermits (I think). At least the behavior of mine seems to indicate they are Acadians.

Step back in line douche canoes. I found em, I researched em, I get first dibs.

Edit. There's gotta be some kind of hierarchy here... I'm on top, you all can sort the rest out yourselves.

• Haha 2
On 10/20/2018 at 2:46 PM, RayWhisperer said:

According to the literature, E is in the Caribbean somewhere. You can swim there. I have confidence in you.

My brother and two of the shipping team guys swear they have seen E, in different shells at the warehouse. They don’t remember what season. They may be out there. I have to go on a finding mission tomorrow in habitats I don’t normally collect in. Will try to find something new (to me at least) and bring it back for you guys to identify for me and basically do all my leg work. I have confidence in you! 

🙂

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2018 at 6:43 PM, RayWhisperer said:

B.

Distribution. Northwestern Atlantic: from Straits of Florida, Bahamas, and Caribbean Sea. Depth: 150 to 472
E.
Distribution. Western Atlantic: southeastern coast of United States (North Carolina to Florida), Gulf of
Mexico, Caribbean Sea, to Santa Catarina, Brazil. Depth: 11 to 1020 m.

Only 150 - 450 deep huh? Nice. Should be no issue. Just get my flashlight and head out at noon. 🙂

I bet they stray. Shores in my area are rough, we get things washed in. 

• Haha 1

I can ID those two. No problem. If you get me a clear, detailed pic of yours, I might be able to do the same for you. I like IDing critters. 

As for B holding deep, I have some ideas for collecting deep. Its random, but you might pull up some cool stuff. It's the inverted coke bottle top trick we all know. Just pop a big enough hole to run some string through one side and tie a knot inside to kinda hold it in place. That'll be the top. Weight the other side (would be the bottom of the trap) with rocks secured in place. Bait it, put the top on, drop it down, and tie the top of the string to a sealed jug to act as the bobber, so to say. Set a few of those, wait a few, come back and see what kinda goodies you got. Like I said, random, but you might dredge up some cool shit. I'll dig up the Latin names of the two I posted for you.

As for E being in scaphopod shells, I couldn't say if that is the norm, locale specific, preferred, or what. I imagine they might just use what's available to em in the right size range.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RayWhisperer said:

I can ID those two. No problem. If you get me a clear, detailed pic of yours, I might be able to do the same for you. I like IDing critters. 

As for B holding deep, I have some ideas for collecting deep. Its random, but you might pull up some cool stuff. It's the inverted coke bottle top trick we all know. Just pop a big enough hole to run some string through one side and tie a knot inside to kinda hold it in place. That'll be the top. Weight the other side (would be the bottom of the trap) with rocks secured in place. Bait it, put the top on, drop it down, and tie the top of the string to a sealed jug to act as the bobber, so to say. Set a few of those, wait a few, come back and see what kinda goodies you got. Like I said, random, but you might dredge up some cool shit. I'll dig up the Latin names of the two I posted for you.

That is more fun than FWC will allow unfortunately. They have 4 approved traps, I have used the pinfish trap a few times. No success. Sharks tried to get it from me the last time I used it. I have to be within 100 yards when the trap is out to tend it, and they came circling around as I was diving. Got that trap back all the same. 🙂

• Like 1

As for E being in scaphopod shells, I couldn't say if that is the norm, locale specific, preferred, or what. I imagine they might just use what's available to em in the right size range.

They probably do live right among those shells. Find the shells, find the hermit. To get that many in shells like that? Can't be coincidence.

I'm just wondering if it has something to do with depth. Those 3 were collected at like 900 meters, iirc. Perhaps regular snail shells aren't too common in their deepest rang? But then you look at the structure of the crab itself, and it looks like they belong in long thin shells. I really dont know.

Ray, would you mind taking a look at my ID thread?  I've got a couple worm things found in my pico that I'm not sure about.

8 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

Whoa that is deep. Probably not much of a taste for algae. 

I was wrong. 290 m was the collection depth.

Looking now, but I'm guessing John is right.