Pod Your Reef

New Hermit Crab Species

johnmaloney

36 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Cool. Any ID on the mystery hermits? I know you were going to have some sciencey guys have a look at em.

I think you were right, the reticulated hermit. A variation of Iridopagurus reticulatus. 

Yeah. I unloaded so many possibilities, I dont remember what any of them were. I'll take your word for it that I suggested that as a possibility, though. 

Now, on to something much more interesting. I saw something recently. Unfortunately I can't remember where. It was just a glimpse in a video. But the markings, and the shape of the claw looked identical to the "E" hermit crab. Normal shell, not the tooth shell. But they were in an aquarium. So, somebody has them. You need to become the sole retailer of these hermits. I'm telling you, youd make a fortune. I'd only require a small percentage, and free hermits for life.

16 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Yeah. I unloaded so many possibilities, I dont remember what any of them were. I'll take your word for it that I suggested that as a possibility, though. 

Now, on to something much more interesting. I saw something recently. Unfortunately I can't remember where. It was just a glimpse in a video. But the markings, and the shape of the claw looked identical to the "E" hermit crab. Normal shell, not the tooth shell. But they were in an aquarium. So, somebody has them. You need to become the sole retailer of these hermits. I'm telling you, youd make a fortune. I'd only require a small percentage, and free hermits for life.

The ocean is a hard thing to get exclusivity on. I have tried before. Will be trying again in the new year with my current favorite cleaner. 

🙂

I'm not suggesting you get exclusive rights on the entire ocean. Just one species of hermit. Just find them, and keep the locale a secret. Then, say, 10% of the profits can be diverted to me for "business advisory" fees. 

• Like 1

Wait a minute. I went back and read all my previous posts. I knew reticulated from somewhere. The reticulated was the white hermit. Not the stripey ones. I thought you were getting the stripey ones checked out by the sciencey guys.

I did not. I remember that crappy site, I never would have linked that site. Everytime I swiped, it tried to send me to print a copy. Also, they took pictures about as good as you.

When I suggested reticulated, I was meaning the white hermit. However, if the photo bomber hermit is the white hermit, I don’t think it’s a reticulated. Those spines appendages with a hint of red aren’t present on any reticulated pics I’ve seen. But, considering the extreme variability by geographic location, it could be.

That is the photo bomber, just a good picture. He is easy to photograph. Not shy at all. Those lines are even brighter in person, almost neon. He has the on both sides of each leg that I can tell. Otherwise pretty true picture, natural light etc...

There are a few others that had that ID too, like Jaxshells. Different coloring but a lot of otherwise similar features. 

Oh OK. What a coincidence that is. Of all the species names, and when you search it looks like it could be the other one. The first time I matched it was to jaxshells, that seemed accurate to me. That other website does suck, and I have now been busted doing quick image thumbnail searches. My apologies. 

The white one with orange side leg is Scarlet hermit sized. 

Side note, those chaeto reactors people are getting really excited about seem like a fire hazard. I didn’t want to make a thread or anything about it because I don’t know anything about electricity, but I have been electrocuted and started electrical fires before....am I way off? 

I’ve always liked the idea of the reactor, very space saving design. However, I’ve been too afraid to attempt one for that reason. First, cheap Chinese leds are risky, second salt water and homemade electronics, third, the acrylic seems to fracture over time, leading back to number 2.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
johnmaloney
On 10/18/2018 at 10:21 PM, RayWhisperer said:

Any better pics? 

Also, you need to get me a bunch of these. E, so much E. B, too. Yup B.

A-Coenobita-clypeatus-Fabricius-1787-in-gastropod-Melongena-melongena-dry-specimens.png

Found a lead on these guys, just off Curacao in 164-328 feet of water. 🙂

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

Found a lead on these guys, just off Curacao in 164-328 feet of water. 🙂

Time to get yourself a rebreather. 🥽🦀

• Like 1
johnmaloney
7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Are you saying we haven't bought enough snails yet to fund your sub? 🤔

I am waiting until the subs from the early 2000s go on sale. Maybe find one with low miles. 

• Haha 4