SaltCritters.com

ID this pistol!

skijumpersc

Snow_Phoenix

Is that a flaming prawn goby in the tube? If yes, that's pretty cool.

Regarding the pistol, it does look like the pistol shrimp in the weblink you gave. Not sure what the exact species is though. Not all types of pistol shrimp will pair up with a goby. Did this one arrive as a pair with your goby?

7 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Is that a flaming prawn goby in the tube? If yes, that's pretty cool.

Regarding the pistol, it does look like the pistol shrimp in the weblink you gave. Not sure what the exact species is though. Not all types of pistol shrimp will pair up with a goby. Did this one arrive as a pair with your goby?

It is! I picked these two up friday, it was a bit of an impulse buy being as the store didnt have the fish I was looking for (hi fin red band goby), but I got these guys hoping they would pair. He was also a pretty good price, I know the flaming prawn gobies can get quite expensive.   After getting home and doing some more research it sounds like the goby isn't one that pairs with shrimp, or if so very rarely. I've also heard a lot about them being hard to keep alive due to dietary needs and I'm afraid in my 34 gallon I'm never going to see them.

I'm pretty sure him and the shrimp aren't interested in pairing, every interaction they've had ends up with them pretty much ignoring each other. I talked to the shop and I think I'm going to trade him back in for some hi-fin's when their next order comes in. I hate to do it since he's such an awesome fish, I'm still totally new to this though and I'm worried about not being able to keep him healthy, not to mention putting him into my display tank and never seeing him again. 

So what I'm trying to figure out is if I trade him in for the hi-fins do I need to do a shrimp swap too or is there a chance that this one will pair with them?

1 minute ago, Cannedfish said:

Flaming prawn gobies don't pair with pistol shrimp. 

I know, unfortunately I found this out after I brought him home. The real question is the shrimp is a species that will pair with gobys

In-case anyone is curious, it turns out this shrimp will pair. I added two hi-fin red band gobies the other day. Initially they were hanging out together and ignoring the shrimp, but after about 4 days one found his was into the shrimp den and the other is still on his own. The one that hasn't paired with the shrimp has been eating really well, the other doesn't want to leave his burrow and I haven't seen him eat since. I'm curious if the other goby will join them or if he's going to keep doing his own thing. The burrow is built in a pvc elbow buried in the sand so it would be pretty tight for three creatures.