Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help! Air conditioner out in Arizona!

NeonZoie

So our air conditioner decided it wanted to die today and I'm very concerned for my tank. I just got my first two clowns this week and of course this had to happen. I really dont know when we'll be able to get it fixed. Its the evening now but my tank has already gone up a few degrees, the forecast for this week is in the 105+ and im not sure what to do any suggestions????

Thanks everyone i just went and picked up a little fan and thankfully i can position it right next to the tank, i also took off my glass lid on it so it can release some of the heat. Ill be monitoring the temp but im not sure how to monitor the ice because i dont want it to cool the tank down to much and then just raise again after it melts in the bag

I agree with the suggestion to get a window AC unit if that’s an option to keep your tank room cool, if the fan isn’t enough in the Arizona heat. Maybe you could freeze a bottle of water (I would use RODI or distilled just in case the bottle cracks or something, same with ice cubes in a bag) but keep your heater on in your tank at whatever minimum temp you want, say 76, so it will kick in if the tank starts to cool too much? 

Are your clowns and cleanup crew the only things in your tank so far? Maybe a local reefer or LFS could keep them for you until you get your AC fixed?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, NeonZoie said:

Thanks everyone i just went and picked up a little fan and thankfully i can position it right next to the tank, i also took off my glass lid on it so it can release some of the heat. Ill be monitoring the temp but im not sure how to monitor the ice because i dont want it to cool the tank down to much and then just raise again after it melts in the bag

you the fan to blow OVER the water surface.  haven't a fan aimed directly at the tank won't help as much.  i have a clip on fan in my sump.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

last night our power went out (our whole street at least) just as i was laying down to go to sleep. i jumped up and unplugged the powerhead because i know the blenny loves going in there when it's off and if power came back on while he was in there could be a disaster.

anyway power was out for only an hour or so. it's ironic because i've got some screen on order to make a shield for that powerhead that should be here in a day or 2. it's also concerning since it's only the beginning of summer and the hot days.

i still don't have a battery backup plan.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/22/2021 at 7:07 PM, rough eye said:

last night our power went out (our whole street at least) just as i was laying down to go to sleep. i jumped up and unplugged the powerhead because i know the blenny loves going in there when it's off and if power came back on while he was in there could be a disaster.

anyway power was out for only an hour or so. it's ironic because i've got some screen on order to make a shield for that powerhead that should be here in a day or 2. it's also concerning since it's only the beginning of summer and the hot days.

i still don't have a battery backup plan.

Good reminder about power outages and fish that like to sit in the powerheads when the power is out! That could be a disaster and I hadn’t thought of it. We are signed up for an electricity conservation program where they can cycle our power off in the event of high demand... I need to call our power company and opt out of that!

@Clown79 I’m so glad you tagged my old comment on this post just now so I saw this important info about power outages and powerhead loving fish... it may be a complete coincidence but I just posted a pic of my blenny hanging out in my powerhead in the reef/life/chat thread like 10 minutes ago! 

• Like 3