inTank Media Baskets

Which leds for upgrade from 20 to 55g sbreeflights vs mars aqua and vipraspectra?

travisman1994

travisman1994

So I haven't had a reef tank since I was in high school and leds were just starting to come out when I converted to a fish and invert only tank.  My tank is 20 gallons and I am considering doing coral again and upgrading to a 55gallon(its nano still right. its not the ocean...).  I was considering either two Sbreeflights sbox 165watt 16" basic $135 each($270).  However, I also saw the viparspectra 165watt with timer controls built in for $119 each($238). I went to the local fish store and they mentioned that they like the marsaquas and they have sets on ebay which would lower the price to  $94 each ($188).  That being said are the quality on these lights the same or does the sbreeflights really have a better spectrum and build quality as they claim?  If they're just the same id prefer to use the extra $80 on a fish or something.  I know I hated my t5s i went cheap with an aquatraders oddysea light, part of the reason i said screw it and went fish only.  I don't want to make the same mistake again and would rather just upgrade to a 55gallon fish only and not have made the mistake of wasting money on one of the above lights to have it be a pos, but also I can't afford to buy a $500 light.  Or if you have a different light suggestion id appreciate it thanks.

• travisman1994 changed the title to Which leds for upgrade from 20 to 55g sbreeflights vs mars aqua and vipraspectra?

The SB reef lights are definitely the best in terms of build quality. I have personally used the Mars aqua and was NOT impressed. In contrast to most other, they use only one wavelength of blue LED's, which is a problem in my book. The viparspectra seem like decent lights and use a greater mix of spectrums that the Mars Aqua. My recommendation would be:

1. SBreeflights

2. Viparspectra

3. Mars Aqua

I only put them in this order because those are the only three you mention. Of the "chinese black boxes" these are definitely tour best options though.