Cultivated Reef

Just now, spectra said:

What did you order?

Some chitons, nassarius, ceriths, blue legs, a few nerites 2 gracilaria clumps and hermit crab shells. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, patback said:

Some chitons, nassarius, ceriths, blue legs, a few nerites 2 gracilaria clumps and hermit crab shells. 

How big do the chitons get?  

4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

How big do the chitons get?  

Not too big.  Biggest I've had in the past were maybe 2 inches-ish if I remember correctly?  They do a great job on anything, even turf algae, but they tend to hang out in the same spot and move very very slow.  They are actually really hard to find when they are in the rock work in plain sight. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, patback said:

Not too big.  Biggest I've had in the past were maybe 2 inches-ish if I remember correctly?  They do a great job on anything, even turf algae, but they tend to hang out in the same spot and move very very slow.  They are actually really hard to find when they are in the rock work in plain sight. 

I'm battling the same, I'm going to be getting a better crew as well. I never had a large clean up crew cause i didn't want them to starve, well they aren't going to starve anymore lol

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, patback said:

Cool. Can’t wait to see them. Sounds about like my abolone.

• Like 2

Will be interesting to see what you get. Hopefully weather doesnt mess things up.......

I was thinking of ordering some but this time of year is not such a great weather time of year.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, spectra said:

Will be interesting to see what you get. Hopefully weather doesnt mess things up.......

I was thinking of ordering some but this time of year is not such a great weather time of year.

Yeah, I was a little worried about it but this friday is supposed to be 50*.  I've had john send me stuff quite a few times in the colder months and everything has always arrived well, plus I know he isn't bashful to send an email saying he would prefer to ship a different date if he thinks weather may be bad or hold up delivery.  

• Like 1

@johnmaloney

Based on the items I ordered from you in the above post, if my mail man was a complete lazy p.o.s. and never even attempted to deliver today, do you think there is a good chance of survival?  Snails I think would be fine but I am concerned about the hermits and chitons. 😞  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, patback said:

@johnmaloney

Based on the items I ordered from you in the above post, if my mail man was a complete lazy p.o.s. and never even attempted to deliver today, do you think there is a good chance of survival?  Snails I think would be fine but I am concerned about the hermits and chitons. 😞  

I’m always surprised at how much these critters can survive.  Hopefully everyone is good. 🤞🏻

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

I’m always surprised at how much these critters can survive.  Hopefully everyone is good. 🤞🏻

You have no idea how angry/upset I am about it though. 1 for the fact I spent 30 bucks on shipping for a reason... and 2 because o dont want things dying because of someone's laziness. If they just didnt make it, it would be one thing.  

Needlessly dying is a whole other though. 😞

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
7 minutes ago, patback said:

You have no idea how angry/upset I am about it though. 1 for the fact I spent 30 bucks on shipping for a reason... and 2 because o dont want things dying because of someone's laziness. If they just didnt make it, it would be one thing.  

Needlessly dying is a whole other though. 😞

The Post Office is the worst of the worst.  We should just let it die. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, patback said:

@johnmaloney

Sorry to hear. This week has been utter hell for shipping. USPS has three packages that I need that were suppose to be delivered last Saturday with no updates. Yesterday we finally received mail. 

That storm effected way more people than just NC. 

-D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Did you get the delivery yet?? If you did how did everything make out?

Nope. They changed my wife's schedule and she also had to leave before the post office opened. 

I'm leaving the city by 1:20ish and hopefully can get back to my post office before they close again. 

Closest family that could pick it up live an hour away from me too. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, patback said:

Nope. They changed my wife's schedule and she also had to leave before the post office opened. 

I'm leaving the city by 1:20ish and hopefully can get back to my post office before they close again. 

aww man that blows. Still holding out for ya that everything lives

• Like 1

Yes, I'd say 90% survival rating.  Few ceriths and 2 chitons are iffy.  

I'm just hoping they all make it long term and dont start dying in a few days. 

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, patback said:

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, patback said:

Yay!!! 😃

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
40 minutes ago, patback said:

Oh good deal 🙂🙂...did you scream at the bastards?

16 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh good deal 🙂🙂...did you scream at the bastards?

Nope.  My wife talked to them.  It's not even that something came late.  It's the attitude while pointing at her wrist and waving me away from the other side of the door that pissed me off.  

I try to be a very nice and respectful person to everyone I meet in day to day life.  One of the very few things that make me irrationally angry is when people are assholes for no good reason.  

Like, I am sorry that you are 20 years past your prime and work in a dimly lit failing government job in the middle of a suburban ghetto.... but I wasnt the one to tell you to be miserable the rest of your life.  You chose that yourself.

• Like 1