Innovative Marine Aquariums

2 minutes ago, patback said:

Went the slightly safer route.  Added 5 ml of alkalinity just now.  Alk dropped from 7.3 last night to 7.2 tonight

Calcium is at 453.  Am I right to suspect the calcium to slightly drop with just the addition of alkalinity?  Or will it hover where its at?

All this science is hurting me. 😕

😄

• Haha 1
Just now, WV Reefer said:

All this science is hurting me. 😕

😄

I used to be real interested in science until they forced me to take an elective chemistry class in high school. I never showed up and when I did, I hated chemistry because of it.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, patback said:

Went the slightly safer route.  Added 5 ml of alkalinity just now.  Alk dropped from 7.3 last night to 7.2 tonight

Calcium is at 453.  Am I right to suspect the calcium to slightly drop with just the addition of alkalinity?  Or will it hover where its at?

Well shit I am not Bill nye but I believe that ca will drop as the alk drops. I dont think your ca will drop faster bc you added alk but as long as your alk stays between 7 and 9 your ca should keep dropping as its consumed. Remember the geeks have figured out how ever much alk 2 part you dose you need to dose equal ca 2 part.  Wrap your head around the fact that 5ml might raise your alk .1 (which seems like a lot bc the scale of your alk is 0-10dhk where as your scale of ca is 0-500 ppm)but 1ml of ca 2 part might raise your ca a much smaller amount of ppm of ca (like just a guess 6ppm).. dont take these number literal I am just tring to explain the concept of "equal" parts of dosing. Yes you need to dose "equal" ml of each bc the science nerds figured it out for us, but just bc 2ml of alk raises the total dkh maybe 1 percent of its scale the 2ml of ca might only raise the ca .5 percent of its scale.. #### I hope this makes some sort of sense lmao

So to simplify this if you lost .1 dkh of alk in 24 hours and your 2 part called for you to dose 5ml of alk then you need to dose 5ml of ca . If you do so then your ca should stay exactly at the previous reading of 453 and your all should stay at the 7.3

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Well shit I am not Bill nye but I believe that ca will drop as the alk drops. I dont think your ca will drop faster bc you added alk but as long as your alk stays between 7 and 9 your ca should keep dropping as its consumed. Remember the geeks have figured out how ever much alk 2 part you dose you need to dose equal ca 2 part.  Wrap your head around the fact that 5ml might raise your alk .1 (which seems like a lot bc the scale of your alk is 0-10dhk where as your scale of ca is 0-500 ppm)but 1ml of ca 2 part might raise your ca a much smaller amount of ppm of ca (like just a guess 6ppm).. dont take these number literal I am just tring to explain the concept of "equal" parts of dosing. Yes you need to dose "equal" ml of each bc the science nerds figured it out for us, but just bc 2ml of alk raises the total dkh maybe 1 percent of its scale the 2ml of ca might only raise the ca .5 percent of its scale.. #### I hope this makes some sort of sense lmao

So to simplify this if you lost .1 dkh of alk in 24 hours and your 2 part called for you to dose 5ml of alk then you need to dose 5ml of ca . If you do so then your ca should stay exactly at the previous reading of 453 and your all should stay at the 7.3

ECE3E4AE-98CD-4F51-A6AE-3942BC389DDE.jpeg.7142ba2793abe5de674844d25d727dba.jpeg

• Haha 3
13 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Just to be clear, I dosed a little less than half of the 11 needed to raise it up to 8, and was planning to set the doser up to do equal parts 1 and 2 once I reached that 8. 

Hopefully once I hit that 8 mark, my calcium will be down a bit to around 440ish.  I should be pretty close to balanced at that point....I think....

• Like 3
1 minute ago, patback said:

Day two of dosing.... just added 6 ml.  That is all.  

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Thanks 1

Tank seems to be filling in finally.  3 jawbreakers total and I'm hoping with how it scrunches up tight every night, it is dropping a 3rd baby in the past 2 weeks to make it 4 total.  

• Like 3
7 hours ago, patback said:

Tank seems to be filling in finally.  3 jawbreakers total and I'm hoping with how it scrunches up tight every night, it is dropping a 3rd baby in the past 2 weeks to make it 4 total.  

How big is mom ? I have a few and they wont drop shit............I think I may have had one baby but it went with the flow and is growing who knows where now :lol:v my sunset drops kids like crazy.........OG bounce well its huge but no babies........I am scared to cut it......

35 minutes ago, spectra said:

How big is mom ? I have a few and they wont drop shit............I think I may have had one baby but it went with the flow and is growing who knows where now :lol:v my sunset drops kids like crazy.........OG bounce well its huge but no babies........I am scared to cut it......

About golfball diameter on a good day. Coloring isn't the best, just little slices of red and small slivers of green, but it grows great.  I at one point had almost 10ish, but lost all of them but one.  I originally got it from kguske back in 2015 I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, spectra said:

My lfs has on og from wwc but $$$.  They have another bounce for 200 in a frag tank for a few weeks now.  It just doesnt have that same appeal though. 

4 minutes ago, patback said:

My lfs has on og from wwc but $$$.  They have another bounce for 200 in a frag tank for a few weeks now.  It just doesnt have that same appeal though. 

I can’t afford or understand the cost of some of this stuff...I blame R2R 😁 Hell even the wholesalers in shit #### countries have caught on. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Sancho said:

I can’t afford or understand the cost of some of this stuff...I blame R2R 😁 Hell even the wholesalers in shit #### countries have caught on. 

Definitely ridiculous.... but at the same time, I do see stuff that I want that I'm more than willing to peel a few off for.  So I guess I'm a big part of the problem. Lol. 

After shipping I once paid 110 bucks for a single polyp zoanthid. It wasnt even a big named frag, just something i saw and felt i needed... ask me where that frag is now. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
21 minutes ago, patback said:

After shipping I once paid 110 bucks for a single polyp zoanthid. It wasnt even a big named frag, just something i saw and felt i needed... ask me where that frag is now. 

Hey I paid 100 for a polyp of hullucinations zoa.......sold a few to a local shop and made about 400 bucks so it worked out.......I have about 25 polyps on a disc now.

It is nuts what things cost.......I have a few nice shrooms but they were picked up in trade for other shrooms.

5 minutes ago, spectra said:

Hey I paid 100 for a polyp of hullucinations zoa.......sold a few to a local shop and made about 400 bucks so it worked out.......I have about 25 polyps on a disc now.

It is nuts what things cost.......I have a few nice shrooms but they were picked up in trade for other shrooms.

When one of these high end LE babies get their second color in I'll trade you for one of those whatever you calls thems.  Jumps, or bounces.  Oh yeah, I think that's what they're called.  Bounces.  

Super great deal on your half.  

7 minutes ago, spectra said:

I just killed my frag. :lol:

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, patback said:

When one of these high end LE babies get their second color in I'll trade you for one of those whatever you calls thems.  Jumps, or bounces.  Oh yeah, I think that's what they're called.  Bounces.  

Super great deal on your half.  

I just killed my frag. :lol:

I hate shipping corals.........I am not a coral shipper would probably kill it.......this one drops babies a lot. I have 3 I think now.

IMG_5020.jpg

• Like 4

We came home tonight to see the female clown officially diving in and rubbing on the torch coral.  Pretty happy about it.  

Jawbreaker is also still on the move and looks like a 3rd baby is peeling off.  

Tank may also be moving to a new apartment in a few months.  We have the opportunity to save an extra 6-700 bucks more per month to save for our own place of we make a small downgrade.

We are also thinking about selling my car that we will basically end up breaking even after paying off the rest of the loan, selling the wife's car and just getting 1 nice suv.  I use a company truck for work and my car is just sitting 99% of the time with brakes rusting over and tires starting to rot.  

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, patback said:

We came home tonight to see the female clown officially diving in and rubbing on the torch coral.  Pretty happy about it.  

Jawbreaker is also still on the move and looks like a 3rd baby is peeling off.  

Tank may also be moving to a new apartment in a few months.  We have the opportunity to save an extra 6-700 bucks more per month to save for our own place of we make a small downgrade.

We are also thinking about selling my car that we will basically end up breaking even after paying off the rest of the loan, selling the wife's car and just getting 1 nice suv.  I use a company truck for work and my car is just sitting 99% of the time with brakes rusting over and tires starting to rot.  

I like the plan!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't really updated anything in a while. Just placed an order with reefcleaners.  

I am really starting to think my dry rock IS leeching some phosphates.  All tests come back zero or close to it in terms of nutrients but 2 rocks in particular I can not rid of algae. Other rocks are for the most part, algae free. The last time I tested phosphates with the ultra low hana checker I think I was just at .03ppm after the conversion.

I also realized my cuc consists of my 2 tiny urchins, a stomatella, 5 nassarius, and whatever asterina and limpets hitchhiked from my old tank, which isn't very much. 

• Like 3