SaltCritters.com

Just now, HarryPotter said:

Sweet.

Unfortunately, sounds like you didnt order the required grease for the tubes... so you're gonna be delayed. 😞 

Its mandatory; the tubes come totally dry. 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-drew-s-doser-tube-lubricant.html

Really? Is that new?  The brs video on the maintenance says they come pre lubed but it is a good idea to add lube periodically to prolong the tubing.

1 minute ago, patback said:

Really? Is that new?  The brs video on the maintenance says they come pre lubed but it is a good idea to add lube periodically to prolong the tubing.

Not new that I know of. I replaced the tube in my Magnesium dose a week ago, and the tube was NOT prelubricated. Totally 100% dry. 

I edited my previous post: for ~$7 or whatever the shipping cost is (Probably less TBH)  I can 2-day USPS you a the container of it. So you dont need to wait for BRS ground. 

5 minutes ago, patback said:

Thought about one of those but I already have a hard enough time storing all my reef stuff.  The hana is about the size of a handheld tds meter.  

I'm going to put a small bowl of tank water and let it get to room temperature and try it again.  

Nowhere in the directions does it say it doesnt auto adjust or to not test water directly from the tank.  

Hmmm that's not good. Mine arrives tomorrow, I'll let you know how it works. 

1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

Not new that I know of. I replaced the tube in my Magnesium dose a week ago, and the tube was NOT prelubricated. Totally 100% dry. 

I edited my previous post- for ~$7, I can 2-day you a the container of it. So you dont need to wait for BRS ground. 

Lmao, I have gotten more things from you recently than I have from actual stores.  

I'll let you know how they look when they arrive.  Thanks. 🙂

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

TeenyReef--- a few weeks back I tried the panta lith, and the next morning 3/3 of my clams in the tank were dead. Nothing else changed, I had them for years 😞. Did you have any inverts in the tank when you used it?  I under-estimated my water volume and followed all directions. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I really wanted to be able to throw my refractometer out the window but it looks like I will be checking it over still as a precaution.  

• Like 1

Lmao, I have gotten more things from you recently than I have from actual stores.  

I'll let you know how they look when they arrive.  Thanks. 🙂

Mine were dry- just in a ziplock bag with no lube. 

The tubes of your doser are freshly lubed, and I probably used way too much. Perhaps you could wipe off some and put it on the new tubes.  

TeenyReef--- a few weeks back I tried the panta lith, and the next morning 3/3 of my clams in the tank were dead. Nothing else changed, I had them for years 😞. Did you have any inverts in the tank when you used it? 

No clams but I had shrimp snails and crabs. No issues at all. That really sucks :tears:

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, teenyreef said:

No clams but I had shrimp snails and crabs. No issues at all. That really sucks :tears:

Yeah it was a bummer, I figured that I would wait a few months to ensure that whatever harmed them is out of the water, and then try again. One was from my old 45 gallon.  But it was literally overnight; pretty direct. I guess it could have interacted badly with something else in my tank. 

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Mine were dry- just in a ziplock bag with no lube. 

The tubes of your doser are freshly lubed, and I probably used way too much. Perhaps you could wipe off some and put it on the new tubes.  

There is definitely a good amount in them.  I think I should be good, but will probably have to reapply in a couple months.  

• Like 1

Yeah it was a bummer, I figured that I would wait a few months to ensure that whatever harmed them is out of the water, and then try again. But it was literally overnight; pretty direct. I guess it could have interacted badly with something else in my tank. 

Yeah, I wonder if it precipitated something out of the water that they couldn't handle. 

When I was searching for information about it I didn't see any reports at all of any problems. But that was over a year ago when it was still pretty new in the U. S.. But I'd think any issues with clams would have been reported by someone. 

There is definitely a good amount in them.  I think I should be good, but will probably have to reapply in a couple months.  

Dang, I've never replaced any of mine, much less lubed them. Oops... 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, patback said:

What is this panta lith stuff used for?

Heavy metal contamination. I had an issue with a VERY rusted razor in my tank. I would usually use water changes and poly filter, but I tried that Panta Lith stuff on a recommendation and it didnt go well 😞 

4 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Dang, I've never replaced any of mine, much less lubed them. Oops... 

Lol!!! You should check how much they dose nowadays. Apparently mine (that I sent to PatBack) were so worn that they were dosing 1.8ml/minute! Lubing them up should keep them accurate for longer. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Heavy metal contamination. I had an issue with a VERY rusted razor in my tank. I would usually use water changes and poly filter, but I tried that Panta Lith stuff on a recommendation and it didnt go well 😞 

Ooh okay, never heard of it before. As a thought, dont clams like iron levels slightly higher?  I remember zephnyc and Albert theil talking back and forth about clams doing better with some iron in the water.  

Edit.  I seem to have misremembered the information. Seems iron isn't all too great for them. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Lol!!! You should check how much they dose nowadays. Apparently mine (that I sent to PatBack) were so worn that they were dosing 1.8ml/minute! Lubing them up should keep them accurate for longer. 

Since I just base my dosing on minutes/seconds I never worried about how many ml/minute they were dosing, I just adjust up and down based on what I measure. 

But if they are wearing out at different rates, I could be dosing calcium and magnesium at different rates that alk since they all run for the same duration every time. Guess I better check them and see if they are different from eachother. And then maybe enjoy a lube session :rolleyes:

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Since I just base my dosing on minutes/seconds I never worried about how many ml/minute they were dosing, I just adjust up and down based on what I measure. 

But if they are wearing out at different rates, I could be dosing calcium and magnesium at different rates that alk since they all run for the same duration every time. Guess I better check them and see if they are different from eachother. And then maybe enjoy a lube session :rolleyes:

Yup.  Definitely seem like they wear differently from one another.  The 1.8 was Harry's alk doser.  Calcium was 1.4 per minute I believe.

• Like 2
On 1/7/2019 at 7:53 PM, HarryPotter said:

I saw multiple people complaining about it on Facebook and R2R. Seems that they may have missed the mark on that one... 

Hows the dosing going? Did you order new tubes for em, or gonna use them as-is? 

Mine just arrived. Nothing crooked on the probes, no weird drift.

I didn't see any complaints on R2R other than one about the graphite. Hanna said it's left from when they polish the probes, will clean off with a cloth or cardboard, and doesn't affect the measurement. Seems like kind of a weird quality control thing given how nice everything else looks. @HarryPotter: can you give me a link or search phrase? Just searching for the name of the product in R2R didn't yield any other reports.

I calibrated mine, and then measured all three tanks. Nothing weird about the measurements except that they were all a bit higher than the refractometer showed. I recalibrated the refractometer, but still had the difference. My refractometer showed 1.025, the Hanna tester showed 1.027.

So I used the Hanna tester to measure the Pinpoint calibration fluid I've been using for the refractometer, and it showed 1.028 instead of 1.026. So I opened another bag of the Hanna calibration fluid, and it was dead on a 1.026.

So I've ordered some more cheap calibration fluid for the refractometer from Amazon. It will be interesting to see whether it measures the same as the old Pinpoint or the new Hanna fluids.

One more fun fact: when I tried the Hanna calibration fluid in the refractometer, it measured 1.016. So maybe the fluid made for a conductivity tester isn't compatible with a refractometer. 

So the bottom line is, I -think- the Hanna is measuring accurately, and my real problem is just old calibration fluid. But I want to test again with some new fluid.

40 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Mine just arrived. Nothing crooked on the probes, no weird drift.

I didn't see any complaints on R2R other than one about the graphite. Hanna said it's left from when they polish the probes, will clean off with a cloth or cardboard, and doesn't affect the measurement. Seems like kind of a weird quality control thing given how nice everything else looks. @HarryPotter: can you give me a link or search phrase? Just searching for the name of the product in R2R didn't yield any other reports.

I calibrated mine, and then measured all three tanks. Nothing weird about the measurements except that they were all a bit higher than the refractometer showed. I recalibrated the refractometer, but still had the difference. My refractometer showed 1.025, the Hanna tester showed 1.027.

So I used the Hanna tester to measure the Pinpoint calibration fluid I've been using for the refractometer, and it showed 1.028 instead of 1.026. So I opened another bag of the Hanna calibration fluid, and it was dead on a 1.026.

So I've ordered some more cheap calibration fluid for the refractometer from Amazon. It will be interesting to see whether it measures the same as the old Pinpoint or the new Hanna fluids.

One more fun fact: when I tried the Hanna calibration fluid in the refractometer, it measured 1.016. So maybe the fluid made for a conductivity tester isn't compatible with a refractometer. 

So the bottom line is, I -think- the Hanna is measuring accurately, and my real problem is just old calibration fluid. But I want to test again with some new fluid.

In Hanna forum- a thread with two people. I saw another post on Facebook group that had ~2 people as well, so I dunno. It might be great; perhaps the refractometers the posters are using to compare are off. 

Also- yeah conductivity is different from refraction. My understanding is one measures how easily electrons pass through, the other how light passes through. Two different ways to see how much ‘salt there is 🙂 

In Hanna forum- a thread with two people. I saw another post on Facebook group that had ~2 people as well, so I dunno. It might be great; perhaps the refractometers the posters are using to compare are off. 

Thanks!

I just remembered I also had a Fauna Marin bottle of reference standard that's not just salinity, but also other major parameters. I never did get around to using it, so it was unopened. The refractometer (calibrated to the Pinpoint fluid) measures that standard at 1.023. So I'll try calibrating it to the Fauna Marin fluid and then measure the same tank with both the refractometer and the Hanna tester and see what happens...

OK, recalibrated refractometer: 1.028

Hanna tester: 1.027

That's close enough that I think the Hanna tester is good.

Eek, time to remove some water from the tanks and let the ATO bring the salinity down.

• Like 2

Some updates for the tank:

All but one frag is mounted on the rockwork.  I pretty much will have room for 1 or two more sps, I have some good spots for gorgonians, and some zoas and ricordea.  

I really want to grow out what I have into nice sized colonies.  Cant wait!

Speaking of which, hopefully tomorrow I'm gonna get some pictures up to show growth over the past few months.  

Today i got the gyre in, nanorox frag holder in, and also got my doser tubes in.  I may fiddle with them tonight but not sure as i have started drinking and dont want to #### up my parameters. 

I'm so happy to have that algae magnet of a frag rack in the sump.  All that's on it is a few zoa polyps that grew on the plastic with some disks around it so I can trade them off later down the road.  

• Like 3

Still no pics but the torch is actually looki g really good in the flow. The hammer and frogspawn are an itty bitty closed up thought, and the bubbletip looks like it is in the process of splitting... so if any of you want an rbta... letmehnaw....

• Like 4