Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

9 minutes ago, patback said:

Decent haul today.  Got some clowns,utter chaos, bbeb, grandis, an acro, toadstool and a sinularia.  Pics to come when it opens all up.

Dang your just going all out............and pics or it didnt happen :lol:

• Like 1
Just now, spectra said:

Dang your just going all out............and pics or it didnt happen :lol:

It's easy to spend the money when your wife eggs you on. 😄

the guy I usually talk to there even said how usually I am there for an hour and leave with 1 little frag. Not anymore. Hahaha

• Like 1

No pictures but got an update. Did the first water change for the tank today. Dont know how a clean water source with "cleaned dry rock" caused a forest of hair algae and some bryopsis, but it did.  I didn't want to add anything before going away so when I get back from Vegas I'm gonna need to get some snails and maybe an urchin. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 hours ago, patback said:

No pictures but got an update. Did the first water change for the tank today. Dont know how a clean water source with "cleaned dry rock" caused a forest of hair algae and some bryopsis, but it did.  I didn't want to add anything before going away so when I get back from Vegas I'm gonna need to get some snails and maybe an urchin. 

Oh man that sucks. Hopefully you can get it cleared out.

• Like 1
On 9/8/2018 at 8:01 AM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh man that sucks. Hopefully you can get it cleared out.

I came back and it didn't look any worse than it was when I left.  I might pick some more snails up today.... but I'm feeling lazy.  Got to bed just before 2 last night and then had to leave for work at 6.

Question for any red sea reefer owners... what's the beef with the ato system everyone seems to have?  It lasted 4 days while I was gone and seems to keep it at a consistantly level.  

12 minutes ago, patback said:

Question for any red sea reefer owners... what's the beef with the ato system everyone seems to have?  It lasted 4 days while I was gone and seems to keep it at a consistantly level.  

Mine lasts like 4 days. I think people like when they can fill it 1 a week.. 

42 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Mine lasts like 4 days. I think people like when they can fill it 1 a week.. 

Meh... 1 fill up per week.  Not too shabby.  I like it.  How do you feel about it?

41 minutes ago, patback said:

Meh... 1 fill up per week.  Not too shabby.  I like it.  How do you feel about it?

I think it is a good stock ato. I mean when your setting up a new build and dropped a ton of cash it's nice to not have to by an ato right away. That being said I would rather top off every 7-10 days instead of every 3-4 days so I ordered a reservoir that's 13~ gallons or so. Oh and I dont have room for the new ato under the cab because of all my equipment so the new ato will have to be on the side of the tank . Which sucks  I really dont want anything next to the tank but it will be super fast/easy to fill 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Weikel said:

I think it is a good stock ato. I mean when your setting up a new build and dropped a ton of cash it's nice to not have to by an ato right away. That being said I would rather top off every 7-10 days instead of every 3-4 days so I ordered a reservoir that's 13~ gallons or so. Oh and I dont have room for the new ato under the cab because of all my equipment so the new ato will have to be on the side of the tank . Which sucks  I really dont want anything next to the tank but it will be super fast/easy to fill 

I hear you.  I still have a jbj that would be nice to not worry about the tank for a while but also dont want a bigger mess outside of the tank. Mine is also between two door ways and wouldn't even really be possible to have something next to it.  

You could look into one of those tall, thin reservoirs that go behind the stand if you have room for one there. Think they are usually ~6" wide. 

Yea that would be cool but i have my tank in a little book off the kitchen and the old lady wanted the front of the tank to not stick out past the counter top so I only have like 4 inches. The cool part is she cant bitch about the cost of the ato bc she wants to to "look" nice 😉

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Yea that would be cool but i have my tank in a little book off the kitchen and the old lady wanted the front of the tank to not stick out past the counter top so I only have like 4 inches. The cool part is she cant bitch about the cost of the ato bc she wants to to "look" nice 😉

Hahaha!  My wife wanting a "nice tank" "filled with coral like the aquarium" is how I ended up with a nice red sea reefer and basically an unlimited budget within reason. 😄

• Like 1

Just got  back from the lfs.  They didn't have any urchins but I managed to scoop up a purple fire fish, small rbta, pink rock flower, acan frag, a pistol shrimp and some snails. 

• Like 2

Dont mind the algae and dont mind the fact that it isn't an acan like I said.  It was up high above my eye level on a rack and I just saw the colors and needed it. 

dkDtsHE.jpg

Wondering if it will hold colors better with high or lower light??

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, patback said:

Dont mind the algae and dont mind the fact that it isn't an acan like I said.  It was up high above my eye level on a rack and I just saw the colors and needed it. 

dkDtsHE.jpg

Wondering if it will hold colors better with high or lower light??

My gut says lower  ..... but I had some that were better in bright.  So, I have no idea.  Hope that helps!

😁

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

My gut says lower  ..... but I had some that were better in bright.  So, I have no idea.  Hope that helps!

😁

Always with the words of wisdom.  

I want that blue color to stay mostly.  I'm already assuming the little bit of yellow will eventually turn to orange. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Question...

Having my tank near the kitchen, I realized after cooking a big dinner last night that I think my tank is slightly affected by frying foods and stuff.  

I have the red sea media cup in a cart right now and am looking at carbon options, specifically chemipure blue.  

How does one go about starting with that stuff?  Is the phosphate reduction low enough that I would go full dose, or would I need to work up to it over time?  

Any other recommendations for carbon?

21 minutes ago, patback said:

Question...

Having my tank near the kitchen, I realized after cooking a big dinner last night that I think my tank is slightly affected by frying foods and stuff.  

I have the red sea media cup in a cart right now and am looking at carbon options, specifically chemipure blue.  

How does one go about starting with that stuff?  Is the phosphate reduction low enough that I would go full dose, or would I need to work up to it over time?  

Any other recommendations for carbon?

I Have been worried about that too my tank is pretty much in the kitchen . I think chemipure is wayyyyyy to pricey for what it is. I use brs or tl reef rox carbon seems to keep the tank clear .. I just bag it myself it’s cheap so I can change it out more

• Thanks 1

I would probably just use bulk carbon and bag it yourself. I've used Bulk reef, but I actually prefer seachem matrix.  Save the GFO and/or phosgaurd for when you have nutrient issues. I guess fried food is just as bad for our underwater friends as it is for us 😄

• Like 1

Photo less update.  

Filter cup and carbon should be here tomorrow afternoon.  

Algae is about 25% gone on the rocks and 75% on the sand.  I dont know if the sand is gone for good or just buried, but it LOOKS decent.  Got a new polyp of utter chaos growing already and everything over all is looking decently healthy.  

Purple firefish was excited to have some clown friends but it seems they put him in his place.  He is just hanging out low in the corner for the past 2 days.  He used to follow the clowns around anywhere they went.  

One thing I am slightly upset about, I know urchins will eat coraline, but I thought that was a last resort.  The 1 rock I had in the tank with purple has been eaten-white, while circling around the nuisance algae spots. :lol:

• Like 1