Top Shelf Aquatics

2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Hey how's the crew holding up? Any other losses?

Thabks for asking. 🙂

I definitely have 1 chiton cruising around.  I am not sure if the other two died at this point or are under rocks.  A few ceriths seem to have not moved from their landing spot yet, but everything else seems to be doing well.  

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, patback said:

Thabks for asking. 🙂

I definitely have 1 chiton cruising around.  I am not sure if the other two died at this point or are under rocks.  A few ceriths seem to have not moved from their landing spot yet, but everything else seems to be doing well.  

Well a few dead is better than the alternative considering it was a day later. Hardly little bastards aren't they.. Glad to hear all is well so far :smilie:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Well a few dead is better than the alternative considering it was a day later. Hardly little bastards aren't they.. Glad to hear all is well so far :smilie:

Most definitely. 🙂  

I cant wait for work to slow down.  Maybe it is just me, but I have noticed cuc NEVER eat hair algae if it is long.  All my rocks are already stripped clean of surface algae and little fibers, but the long hairs are remaining.  I've been wanting to manually pluck and clean my power heads also for like a week and a half already.  Just no time... 😞  

I just spilled the beans to my secret Santa person because I dont want them to think they aren't getting anything.... just haven't had a second to shit let alone get to ups during business hours. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
9 minutes ago, patback said:

Most definitely. 🙂  

I cant wait for work to slow down.  Maybe it is just me, but I have noticed cuc NEVER eat hair algae if it is long.  All my rocks are already stripped clean of surface algae and little fibers, but the long hairs are remaining.  I've been wanting to manually pluck and clean my power heads also for like a week and a half already.  Just no time... 😞  

I just spilled the beans to my secret Santa person because I dont want them to think they aren't getting anything.... just haven't had a second to shit let alone get to ups during business hours. 

After the holidays, I'm gonna order from them as well. I need to beef up my cuc bad. I'm thinking of getting a mithrax crab(however its spelled) to help with my hair algae. We shall see though.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Possibly.  They look similar to all my nerites which have the very round shell..... Some have different patterns.  

Ahh, okay. All the ones I've ever had have been the plain black ones with little white mixed in.  

Cool looking little snails. 

7 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

After the holidays, I'm gonna order from them as well. I need to beef up my cuc bad. I'm thinking of getting a mithrax crab(however its spelled) to help with my hair algae. We shall see though.

I have one. He will pick some algae but would rather starve than do actual work. Lol. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, patback said:

I have one. He will pick some algae but would rather starve than do actual work. Lol. 

haha "You had one job!!" 

My lawnmower blenny isn't making a dent in it either. I see him eating, but not the grass that growing.

• Like 1

Perfect ####ing timing.... big ol box of harry-ness is coming in tomorrow and I was just informed the skimmer went hay-wire and overflowed.  All water in container is clear, which means the damn near black water from this past 2 weeks dumped back in the sump at some point while I'm at work.

Good thing is, i got 10 gallons waiting at home and everything is still doing good according to the wife.  She even knew what my "indicator corals" were and what to look for.  

Water changing and testing for tonight I guess.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, patback said:

Perfect ####ing timing.... big ol box of harry-ness is coming in tomorrow and I was just informed the skimmer went hay-wire and overflowed.  All water in container is clear, which means the damn near black water from this past 2 weeks dumped back in the sump at some point while I'm at work.

Good thing is, i got 10 gallons waiting at home and everything is still doing good according to the wife.  She even knew what my "indicator corals" were and what to look for.  

No we need SS pics screw the tank :lol:

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

No we need SS pics screw the tank :lol:

How about this, tank comes first, then I will post the pics I have and then continue digging. If I find anything else I will amend the pic post. 

10 minutes ago, patback said:

This is good, free coral food!!!!

Just now, HarryPotter said:

This is good, free coral food!!!!

To an extent.  Lol. I know I was steady at .25 nitrate.  I could never get them to rise.  Itll actually be kind of cool to do a test before the first change to see how much it was affected. 

How about this, tank comes first, then I will post the pics I have and then continue digging. If I find anything else I will amend the pic post. 

Um no tank is fine...........whats a little extra poop in there........

:tongueout:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Guess I am retesting again then doing a water change regardless. 

This is the color of skim mate I had, only instead of 1/4" full, it was halfway to the top of the neck.

20181220_193702.jpg

28 minutes ago, patback said:

Okay I'm calling bullshit now and am retesting. Nitrates are still under .25. Phosphorous ppb came up to a whopping zero.....

Thats been my experience no matter what I do; nutrients are always pretty much zero. I can feed 4 cubes a day or a cube ever 2 days, doesn’t matter.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Thats been my experience no matter what I do; nutrients are always pretty much zero. I can feed 4 cubes a day or a cube ever 2 days, doesn’t matter.

I dont understand it, I mean, I got some algae here and there and just added gracilaria for pod production, but there are 7 freaking fish which I feed HEAVILY every day, sometimes twice a day.  Nope.... nutrients wont budge. I also been feeding on the heavy side with some powder coral food.  That I haven't been very consistant with though. Maybe twice a week.

2 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

So I heard this tank is about to get some magic sticks from @HarryPotter

Lets see the before FTS. 

When lights are on tomorrow I will get a pic.  Frags will go on the rack at first though.

It's a mess with the water changes going on right now plus lots of film algae due to not cleaning the glass in 2 weeks-ish.

I dont understand it, I mean, I got some algae here and there and just added gracilaria for pod production, but there are 7 freaking fish which I feed HEAVILY every day, sometimes twice a day.  Nope.... nutrients wont budge. I also been feeding on the heavy side with some powder coral food.  That I haven't been very consistant with though. Maybe twice a week.

I've joked about "super-bacteria" in all of my tank threads throughout my time on NR; nitrates and phosphates just dont show up no matter how much I feed the tank. Hanna checkers, salifert, etc. Its a good problem to have for sure.   

Figured this is the best place to post my ss gift from jack... will post a link in the ss thread since it's a little picture heavy and slightly inappropriate. 

So I got home late the other night and saw this gigantic box sitting on the front step.  I had just been told that it came from @jack1978 and my first thought was "oh God, what is going to be in this box"

It is bigger than the red sea's tank stand just to put it into perspective. 

20181219_170859.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1