Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fish Compatibility (Royal Gramma & Azure Damsel)

Oscaralexander

Oscaralexander

Introduced an Azure Damsel to my Tank last week. Today i introduced the Royal Gramma. As soon as i released the Gramma into the tank the Damsel started to attack the Gramma. I now have the Gramma in a plastic bag i poked holes in to keep the damsel from killing the Gramma. 
Can these two fish get along? Will they always want to attack each other?
As the Damsel Grows will it also begin to harass my clowns?
As of now im going to return the damsel to the store if no one can suggest methods of getting these two fish to get along on Monday as it seems to be the more aggressive of the two. 
Only other fish i will introduce to the tank Will be the 6 line wrasse. 

Chrysiptera damsels can be especially aggressive, but many fish will often harass new additions. Capturing the established fish and keeping them in a separate area and allowing the new fish to acclimate can work, sometimes changing the aquascape will work too. If all else fails you may have to catch the damsel and return it.

• Like 1

Azure Damsel's are basically just assholes by nature they will attack all new comers to the tank even fish much larger then themselves but usually they end up at the bottom of the pecking order when the dust settles. Give it a couple of days and they will get used to each other and it will settle down. I have a green chromis and an Azure Damsel in a 20 gal nano. The Azure Damsel was in the tank first and the same thing happened to me it flew at the chromis and kept attcking it and had the chromis hiding in the corner scared to move but after a couple of days they fine. Now the chromis is boss.  

• Like 1

Damsels are jerks in general, and Azures are among the worst, I hate to say it but the fish has got to go if you want to have any more than one fish in your tank.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jesterrace said:

Damsels are jerks in general, and Azures are among the worst, I hate to say it but the fish has got to go if you want to have any more than one fish in your tank.  

Not true the Damsels usually calm down and leave the fish alone. Azures are not as bad as Yellow tail Damsels. 

• 3 weeks later...
Oscaralexander

Update: 
The Azure damsel is no longer trying to viciously kill the Royal Gramma. Every now and again the damsel will dart towards the others in the tank but the psychopathic aggression i observed when introducing the Royal Gramma is no longer there. The Gramma has found tinny holes in the rock where she calls home and is safely protected from attacks. The clowns are bigger then the damsel and perhaps adds to the overall stability within the community.  While im no fish behaviorist I could swear that sometimes the clowns protect the Gramma from the damsels aggression by blocking off the swimming path of the damsel.   

• 1 year later...
Monteiroseart

So true, Oscaralexander, just today I witnessed my female clownfish protecting the royal gramma I had introduced to Tank 3 days ago from the azure’s attach!...Lol. I couldn’t believe it! 
she placed herself right in between them!