Pod Your Reef

Toadstool Frag Growth Question

Daniel91

To follow up with Chris's comment, if you want to encourage the stalk to grow fast and taller, low flow and low light will get you there. Increasing the flow to a point will encourage the stalk to grow (for a lack of a better term) girthier >:). And I've found that on some of the species of toadstools I have, the head diameter is proportional/related to the diameter of the stalk. Chunkier stalk = bigger head. It goes without saying that other things comes into play too of course ie amount of available Iodine in the water etc. This is completely anecdotal from experience, no evidence or experiments done to document and back this up. 

It seems like its a one ways street for me at the moment. I'm having trouble figuring out how to shorten the stalk after they've stretched up tho...Increasing the light will cause the coral to contract and pull in its polyps and only open during the dimmer light hours. And decreasing the flow just makes them shed more...

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Toadstool Frag Growth Question