SaltCritters.com

Saddleback and Sarlacc

Incitatus76

So after my tank had an electrical failure melt down that killed all but 3-4 things in 2 separate tanks, I bought my first new fish yesterday (a couple weeks ago I got some snails and a crab to help with clean up). My carpet anemone seems happy as ever, so I got a saddleback clown to keep her company--and he's doing something funny.

He dives completely into the the anemone's mouth, disappearing for a second, and once for about 10 seconds. I've had a clown before with this anemone, but he never did that. I'm not worried, I just think it's fun. Has anyone else had this experience?

IMG_20180817_114932.jpg

IMG_20180817_114941.jpg

IMG_20180817_114942.jpg

• Like 2
roll_the_dice

Beautiful anemone and saddleback!  I had a pair of saddlebacks in a blue carpet once and they loved it but never dove in like that!  That is pretty fantastic!  That anemone and carpet were my all time favorites.  How big is your tank and how big is the carpet?  I think my carpet was about 14" when I broke down that tank and sold him/her. 🙂

Thank you, guys. The carpet is huge, but maybe not quite as big as yours was. Maybe 12 inches? When I got her she was about to die, had only a few dots of yellow tentacles (the fishstore had bought a bunch of dyed anemones, so I wonder if someone dyed her too) and was just a full beige. Now she is huge and bright mint green. I really like her--despite getting stung by her occasionally.

• Like 1
roll_the_dice

Great job for bring her back to life!  These are my all time favorite anemones for sure!  I was looking for pictures of my old carpet, but can't seem to find any at the moment...I remember when carpets were known for being dyed (maybe they still are)...what a horrible thing to do to such a beautiful animal.  

What size tank is she in?

• Like 1

Oh shoot--I didn't think anyone dyed carpets. The tank isn't big enough for how fast the carpet is expanding--around 27 gallons.

Here is a picture where you can actually make out the saddleback peeking from inside the anemone.

head in tummy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
roll_the_dice

Awesome photo...thanks for sharing!  I have a 30 gallon JBJ RL and want a carpet again, but I can't pull the trigger because I know how big they will become and mine did eat the occasional fish....and that was in tanks ranging from 75 to eventually a 400.  So I will probably get a smaller anemone and admire carpets from afar!  Keep up the good work!

Hey, thank you so much for the kind and encouraging words. Before my tank crashed, I was thinking about just getting a tank for the anemone and clown alone; now that is kind of what my tank is, aside from an equally big toadstool.  Maybe I'll have to move her one day, but the fact that she grabs like superglue and stings like nettles, makes me a bit reluctant to do that. I'm glad I've found someone else who likes carpets as much. They're a neat animal. (A long time ago, I had a shockingly plain, but endearing rock flower anemone--there are colorful ones, and mine seemed incredibly well behaved. Unlike the carpet, which has probably eaten four fish, the rock flower never bothered anyone.