Top Shelf Aquatics

Banasophia’s Biocube 16 & IM Nuvo 10 ☀️

banasophia

pricewayne

Have to comment so I can keep up with your updates. Didn't realize you're in CA!!

If you decide to go for RODI -- I know Marine Depot has a pretty solid sale this weekend. Got my new 50g lagoon tank 25% off 🤓

• Like 2
banasophia
1 minute ago, spectra said:

Just buy a dang RO unit..............:rolleyes:

It’s too hard!!! My water pressure is too low, I think my water has chloramines, those things are so clunky, I don’t know which one to get, it takes so much work... I don’t know why but it just seems like a huge deal. When I think about it rationally I know it’s not, I just seem to have a weird mental block about it. I know... it’s pathetic. 😬😂

• Sad 1
banasophia
7 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Have to comment so I can keep up with your updates. Didn't realize you're in CA!!

If you decide to go for RODI -- I know Marine Depot has a pretty solid sale this weekend. Got my new 50g lagoon tank 25% off 🤓

Okay, okay... I’ll try it!!! May as well order one when they’re on sale. I didn’t realize you’re in California either! 

So... which one should I get you guys? What do I need to do about the water pressure and potential chloramines? Also, it’s a high priority to me to minimize the volume of waste water produced. 

pricewayne
3 minutes ago, banasophia said:

It’s too hard!!! My water pressure is too low, I think my water has chloramines, those things are so clunky, I don’t know which one to get, it takes so much work... I don’t know why but it just seems like a huge deal. When I think about it rationally I know it’s not, I just seem to have a weird mental block about it. I know... it’s pathetic. 😬😂

I have the twist in RODI from Aquatic Life installed under my kitchen sink and love it. Took 10 mins to connect it and everything stores perfectly under the sink in a small tupper wear box so it's unseen and even slides over to the corner of my cabinet when I'm not using it. Changing out the cartridges is super easy as well which is nice.

• Like 1
pricewayne
Just now, banasophia said:

Okay, okay... I’ll try it!!! May as well order one when they’re on sale. I didn’t realize you’re in California either! 

So... which one should I get you guys? What do I need to do about the water pressure and potential chloramines? Also, it’s a high priority to me to minimize the volume of waste water produced. 

I'm not positive on best way to account for the water pressure.. I do think there are some youtube videos from Aquatic Life that may explain ways to solve for (just from top of mind).

I had the same fear/frustration with waste water as well. What I do when I make a new batch of RO/DI is use two 5 gallon buckets -- once the waste bucket is full, I'll pause the RO/DI and use it to water my plants & repeat 🙂

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I’ve told you what to buy...as for chloramines that’s just another stage to get it’s not that big of a deal. Go to you local municipal water districts web site, most list what’s in the water. If chloramines are present just buy a unit with  an additional stage for chloramines. 

• Like 2
banasophia
4 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

I'm not positive on best way to account for the water pressure.. I do think there are some youtube videos from Aquatic Life that may explain ways to solve for (just from top of mind).

I had the same fear/frustration with waste water as well. What I do when I make a new batch of RO/DI is use two 5 gallon buckets -- once the waste bucket is full, I'll pause the RO/DI and use it to water my plants & repeat 🙂

Thanks so much! Love the idea of using a second bucket like that for the waste water!

@Sancho, @spectra - any other suggestions for an RODI unit? Sancho, I think you had mentioned some kind of additional device to deal with the low pressure? And I think both of you have mentioned there are ways to reduce the amount of waste water produced, and deal with the chloramines? 

• Like 1
banasophia
Just now, Sancho said:

I’ve told you what to buy...as for chloramines that’s just another stage to get it’s not that big of a deal. Go to you local municipal water districts web site, most list what’s in the water. If chloramines are present just buy a unit with  an additional stage for chloramines. 

I think you PM’d that pressure thing to me and I don’t think I have it anymore... do you mind posting? Plus it might help other people if you post it. 🤗😘

• Like 2
banasophia
3 minutes ago, Sancho said:

I checked the fair oaks water district website a couple weeks ago when we were talking about it, but I couldn’t find it... I’m telling you, it’s a mental block, like doing my taxes 😂😂😂

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, banasophia said:

Thanks so much! Love the idea of using a second bucket like that for the waste water!

@Sancho, @spectra - any other suggestions for an RODI unit? Sancho, I think you had mentioned some kind of additional device to deal with the low pressure? And I think both of you have mentioned there are ways to reduce the amount of waste water produced, and deal with the chloramines? 

For low pressure you can’t beat this for the price 

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLife_Smart_Buddie_Booster_Pump_50_to_100_GPD_RO_Systems-AK01292-FIRORABP-vi.html?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=AK01292&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrJ7nBRD5ARIsAATMxstYU1a_XE4dF1LjcneVRhySIT8Ghph34iF4VzvMXoeDm4pzewRI8SoaArw_EALw_wcB

waste can be reduced with a high quality membrane, some are as low as 2:1. I am happy to help you find what you need 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I run a spectrapure RO unit and also have one of there booster pumps. My pressure sucks to..........I think mine is one that dumps less waste water also......

• Like 1
banasophia
5 minutes ago, spectra said:

I run a spectrapure RO unit and also have one of there booster pumps. My pressure sucks to..........I think mine is one that dumps less waste water also......

Haha wow, do you get a royalty fee from spectrapure?! They’d better be giving you something since they are using your name!! 

18 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Yeah, I think those booster pumps reduce the amount of waste water produced too. I was just trying to read some of the manuals and I’m afraid I’ve already had a couple strong beers on this fine Friday night, so I’ll have to take a closer look tomorrow when I can make more sense of this info. 

Thanks so much you guys! I know I should be able to do this!!!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, banasophia said:

I’m afraid I’ve already had a couple strong beers on this fine Friday night, so I’ll have to take a closer look tomorrow when I can make more sense of this info. 

Yeah yeah rub it in :tongueout: Hit me up tomorrow Ill help you pick what you need 

• Thanks 1

I am sorry about your fish and understand you being sad.😥  I love looking at this thread your tank is so diverse and colorful.  The pictures of it is what made me decide to start a tiny tank and enter the current contest.  I love my little tank better than the 75 and hope it grows up to be as beautiful as your tank.

• Like 2

I have a home RO unit under my kitchen sink (for drinking water; I actually don't use it for my aquarium, ironically enough) with the wastewater tube routed through the wall into a 5-gallon bucket that sits in my garden. That way I can make use of the wastewater for irrigation, and also can just leave the unit on all the time to make sure water is always available. If the bucket overflows it's not a big deal because it just spills into my garden anyway. Not sure if you want to go this route since a bit more work is involved with routing the tube through the wall and all (and also you'll need to have a garden conveniently positioned right next to your kitchen), but it seems to be a very convenient and hassle-free RO arrangement once you get it running. 😊

Gosh this tank is already so beautiful, it's hard to imagine what it will look like with perfectly pure RO water in the mix! 😁

• Like 3
banasophia
20 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I am sorry about your fish and understand you being sad.😥  I love looking at this thread your tank is so diverse and colorful.  The pictures of it is what made me decide to start a tiny tank and enter the current contest.  I love my little tank better than the 75 and hope it grows up to be as beautiful as your tank.

Thank you so much for the support, and your kind words about my tank. 🤗 I think it’s a really cool thing how we can inspire each other to try new things and learn about these beautiful animals we are caring for in our little reef ecosystems. I don’t think I’m following your pico yet - will go look for it now! 💛

banasophia
12 hours ago, billygoat said:

I have a home RO unit under my kitchen sink (for drinking water; I actually don't use it for my aquarium, ironically enough) with the wastewater tube routed through the wall into a 5-gallon bucket that sits in my garden. That way I can make use of the wastewater for irrigation, and also can just leave the unit on all the time to make sure water is always available. If the bucket overflows it's not a big deal because it just spills into my garden anyway. Not sure if you want to go this route since a bit more work is involved with routing the tube through the wall and all (and also you'll need to have a garden conveniently positioned right next to your kitchen), but it seems to be a very convenient and hassle-free RO arrangement once you get it running. 😊

Gosh this tank is already so beautiful, it's hard to imagine what it will look like with perfectly pure RO water in the mix! 😁

Thank you for the nice compliment about my tank. I think it’s really interesting the way different corals really thrive depending on the water source; I am curious to see how everything responds to homemade RODI. 

I absolutely love these suggestions for how to make use of the waste water. And your suggestion for routing a pipe through the wall is great, and totally reminded me of something I had completely forgotten about... I did the same thing when I designed my mud hut when I lived in Zambia, Africa as a Peace Corps Volunteer for two years! We had no electricity or running water. All our water had to be a carried up the hill from the spring, so it was an extremely precious resource, so I came up with the idea to make an indoor shower area with my sun shower, and an indoor sink for washing my dishes, and the waste water ran through pipes into my garden.  Check it out... wish I had some pics showing the plants once they grew. 

You can only see the sink pipe in the pic, cuz the kids are blocking the view of the pipe coming out from the shower floor near the back corner.

8A33078E-9BE8-4145-A077-4EAEAEDFF805.thumb.jpeg.21a0a024d4b317391a64bfe95ad49ba5.jpeg

And for fun, a couple other pics from my village:

8760D2F4-AE94-4E4D-9FEE-CE9229B199CD.thumb.jpeg.c3a7a1a2f25d0ccd2baa285fb7844c4b.jpeg

94816096-C7C7-4B9E-9799-62A94543C998.thumb.jpeg.c6f170c1c7009385160114726262a55e.jpeg

Hanging out in my insaka. 

6D493BC7-CE7B-4919-BC93-EFF8A8C70E7D.thumb.jpeg.60f23ad88066910ee9db0a263e319fae.jpeg

Meeting with the village headmen.

C33CEF4B-C220-4C72-A1F0-BCFAAED1D826.thumb.jpeg.bb2c2dc754f04f7cc0faee563b951f73.jpeg

One of my my favorite houses in my village.

3720BC34-1299-4010-8931-E503823A5DD2.jpeg

The inside of my mud brick hut, painted with different colors of mud. 

078AB74E-22FE-4D84-95B0-B7FABB8C8E22.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 3

Wow! What a wonderful experience.  People that do things like you did really impact other peoples life.  Thanks for sharing your pictures.

• Like 3
banasophia
4 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

Wow! What a wonderful experience.  People that do things like you did really impact other peoples life.  Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Thanks, yes, it was a wonderful experience! They did so much more for me than I ever did for them, in fact I couldn’t have even survived without the help from my friends and neighbors in my village haha. I learned so much!!! Wish I’d had a digital camera back then... so many beautiful things that would have been amazing to photograph. 

9 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Awesome pics 👍

Thanks so much! 🤗

• Like 3
banasophia

Ah, just realized I posted my recent sea hare on Instagram, but never posted it here. This little guy was so efficient at eating the algae in my tank, I only kept it four days before returning to my LFS Friday night. I really love sea hares and wish I could keep one long term, but they are voracious algae eaters and quickly starve once most of the algae is gone.

7064DFDE-6A9C-4B81-A881-945BD3CD528D.thumb.jpeg.3cc77931ee7618192b0e5fbe94404a85.jpeg

EFB106C1-2A0B-4276-B412-1E701EC689DF.thumb.jpeg.f9ebe07f6002a4f1aaf381e6fbe1c235.jpeg

AB5D68A6-BB58-4C2F-8D85-C68A240A844B.thumb.jpeg.6d961d81556fd7559b13fac1e92b7a0f.jpeg

D4B564DE-9DB7-4F24-AF8B-896EDB1E9F57.thumb.jpeg.a06ac3803ae881d891adcb0ed7e48cbe.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Wow 2
Mrs. Limpet
On 8/16/2018 at 12:29 AM, banasophia said:

Hi everyone, thanks for visiting my journal. 🙂

I got started in the hobby to take my mind off of work stress back in February 2018, and set up my Biocube 16 on 3/3.  I was immediately hooked and started my second tank, my IM Nuvo 10, on 6/16. 

I really appreciate all of the knowledge and support I’ve found here. This hobby, and the community, got me through a tough time in my life, so thank you for that! I’ve learned so much in the past few months, and I’ve enjoyed the beauty and wonder in everyone’s tanks. 💛

Recent full tank shots:

Biocube 16 (stock LED lights), February 28, 2019

Daylights

FEE5B3A8-80C0-429C-BF94-95D1B98BEE67.thumb.jpeg.e1934a4b6bbbc1a4c01f0a3c3d717cb0.jpeg

Beauty Lights

BF8883B4-20B1-4897-84A8-701900DD47B8.thumb.jpeg.ca83ee4b6ece475e897dbeaed4de80df.jpeg

Blues

98644E99-30C0-4D8A-81D4-5D05E828D826.thumb.jpeg.213141798612be536f6ad57b62f9e9d0.jpeg

Nuvo 10 (AI Prime)

499C9827-643A-425A-9BE7-3EC8207024BC.thumb.jpeg.1f37ab2037de5335b84b7ecc29d085b6.jpeg

Favorite Pics:

Biocube 16, Taken 4/23/19

C838FBA3-E789-4176-A6B0-083819402324.thumb.jpeg.ee02c1c7d92797d17d013b58328f7bfa.jpeg

Biocube 16, Clowns & Kenya Tree, Taken 5/17/19

8011EFE4-47A6-4BF4-94C1-A90528FACF9F.thumb.jpeg.83c7473598a02453218782c4fcb9d0ef.jpeg

Current Biocube 16 Setup, as of 1/26/2019:

Light Schedule, Stock LED Lights:

LC1     11 am - 9:00 pm

LC2     10 am - 9:30 pm

LC3      6 am - 12:30 am 

Chamber 1:  Coralife skimmer, temp probe, false floor still intact, tab between chamber1 & 2 still intact (I recommend keeping the tab intact as it supports the Coralife skimmer if you ever want to use one) 

Chamber 2:  Stock media rack, filter floss, Chemipure Elite (for up to 25 gallon), 2 sacks of matrix media

Chamber 3:  Cobalt Neotherm 50W heater, Chill Solutions chiller pump and hoses, Purigen (for up to 100 gallon) which is sitting in the spot where the small black sponge filter was (if you take out the sponge, save it in case you want it in the future)

Original Journal Pics, from August 2018:

01B1DD78-1648-4A63-B6D5-339C6B144280.jpeg

467DF54F-571E-48C4-8772-CE6D47028CB7.jpeg

DBDA5465-D3DB-48F7-ABA1-D8F4172A7D43.jpeg

Equipment Ideas for Beginners:

When I first set up my tank, it was difficult to figure out what I really needed to run my tank, so I thought I would post my suggestions here to give people a nice starting point and maybe help you avoid the trial and error process I went through. 

The 101 Best Nano-Reef Species: How to Choose & Keep Hardy, Brilliant, Fascinating Species Perfect for Small Aquariums (Adventurous Aquarist Guide)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0982026242/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_0dS9Cb30MXXTY

Nano-Reef Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Reef Systems Under 15 Gallons https://www.amazon.com/dp/0793807174/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ueS9CbNMZ92QM

Python Pro-Clean Aquarium Gravel Washer and Siphon Kit, Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002APRVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_n.R9CbQ5NNTWK

Python Squeeze Siphon Starter Aquarium Adapter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017JHPA6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_R.R9CbM9BJDGP

Milwaukee MA887 Digital Salinity Refractometer with Automatic Temperature Compensation, Yellow LED, 0 to 50 PSU, +/-2 PSU Accuracy, 1 PSU Resolution

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Z4ITWU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_UaS9CbTGM555X

Coral feeder SPS HPS feeder, short version for marine fish and reef coral aquarium CFT-1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYNLLL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_RbS9CbQ85W6AP

TAMSCO Hemostat Rochester Pean Forceps Curved 12-Inch, Extra Long Clamp Curved, Surgical Stainless Steel, 12-Inch, Curved Tip Style, Locking Ratchet

** Work great for removing Xenia and Kenya Tree babies if they are spreading where you don’t want them.**

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HB4VKWU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_hES9Cb5PZDE63

BinaryABC Aquarium Tweezer 48cm Length Straight Type Stainless Steel Water Plant Tool

** I use these almost every day... I think they are currently out of stock, but I recommend finding something similar.**

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761PN8Q2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_xHS9CbD6DF5NV

Mandala Crafts Stainless Steel Aquarium Fish Tank Plant Aquascape Scissors Spatula Tweezers Tool Set (3 Tool Combo)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWH5NG5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_VIS9Cb1TDDZPK

Transfer Pipette, 3.0ml Graduated, 5.0ml Capacity, Large Bulb, 155mm, Karter Scientific 206H3 (Pack of 100) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Z4QVZ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_HcS9CbK4RSPD9

Instant Ocean BIO-Spira Water Treatment for Aquariums

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ODDS5E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_UfS9Cb34GQ731

Caribsea Life Rock , 20-Pound

** I was able to get individual pieces from my LFS at the time I started my tanks, but if I couldn’t I would order either regular or shapes. **

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QSNHVLO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_1lS9CbG3NVKMC

Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-Therm Heater with Adjustable Thermostat (Fully-Submersible, Shatterproof Design) from 25W to 300W

** I use the 50W in both of my tanks.**

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AGWZCC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_PoS9CbS1N8XE4

Jebao OW-10 Wavemaker 132-1057 GPH with Controller and Magnet Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076FK8G1P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_KpS9Cb9Y5SEBC

Rubbermaid FG296400ROYBL Roughneck Square Bucket, 12-Quart, Blue

** I use these two gallon buckets (two of them) for my waste water during water changes. (Five gallons a bit too heavy for me to carry/lift.)**

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XMMN24/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_.qS9CbTQHBF1S

2 Gallon Plastic F-Style Jugs With 63mm Caps, Pack of 4

** I use these two gallon jugs for getting premixed water from my LFS, or for transferring water from my mixing bucket to my tanks if I’m mixing at home. Clean with vinegar then water before first use! (Five gallons a bit too heavy for me to carry/lift.)**

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A7TCQGY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_KNS9CbXR2V7YK

Aquarium Filter Pad - Premium True Dual Density 12" by 72" by 3/4 to 1" Aquarium Filter Media Roll for Crystal Clear Water

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHIOM8A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_.sS9CbE5NB79T

Seachem Purigen Ultimate Filtration 100 ml. Bag Aquarium Fish Tank Filter Media https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079SN6SDY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ItS9CbACKG0D4

Boyd Enterprises ABE16742 Chemipure Elite for Aquarium, 6.5-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BS96U60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_OuS9CbP3T5ET1

Seachem Matrix Bio Media 1 Liter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002A5VIO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_bQ--CbV9FYGJ4

Seachem The Bag Filter Media Bag

** For the matrix media.**

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002X6F7AW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_7Q--CbVYRKJQR

Flipper Nano Magnet Cleaner, 1/4 Inch

** For the Biocube walls, I use the Flipper Nano. For the Biocube corners, I use the Two Little Fishes Nano-Mag.**

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MYHSD3I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_8vS9CbFJDVK33

Two Little Fishies ATLNM1 Nanomag Window Clean Device

** For the Biocube walls, I use the Flipper Nano. For the Biocube corners, I use the Two Little Fishes Nano-Mag.**

** For the Nuvo 10, I use the Two Little Fishes Nano-Mag daily, and I use the Segarty long handled scraper to clean more thoroughly during weekly water changes (and use the handle to stir the sandbed).**

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JSTHXS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_

Segarty Fish Tank Scraper, 25.6'' Stainless Steel Algea Scraper Razor with 10 Blades Cleaner Tool Kit for Glass Aquarium Fish Tank Plant Grass

** For the Nuvo 10, I use the Two Little Fishes Nano-Mag daily, and I use the Segarty long handled scraper to clean more thoroughly during weekly water changes (and use the handle to stir the sandbed).**

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KFZF7W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_wBS9CbPZ2WC6R

Tripp Lite 7 Outlet (6 Individually Controlled) Surge Protector Power Strip, 6ft Cord, Black, Lifetime Limited Warranty & $25K Insurance (TLP76MSGB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NZLYB7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dI--CbXS25T67

Tower Manufacturing 30440003 Auto-Reset 15 AMP Grounded 3-Prong GFCI 5-Outlet Adapter, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YPBITXU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_EJ--CbR0607CA

AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro Automatic Top Off System (SATO-120P)

** For the Nuvo 10, I use this ATO. My Biocube doesn’t get any significant evaporation, so it doesn’t need one.**

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195D3LC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_cL--CbWB67FW5

Polyp Lab Coral View Lens (Original Version)

** I prefer the original version.**

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DVMFBNP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_N9S9Cb7BEC2R9

I love your tanks. They've inspired me as I begin my own journey.

• Like 2