inTank Media Baskets

Banasophia’s Biocube 16 & IM Nuvo 10 ☀️

banasophia

4 hours ago, Cdeg4 said:

Hi Banasophia, your tank is amazing. Also running the same tank. Out of curiosity what is your light settings on your tank.

Hi @Cdeg4  thanks so much! 😊 And welcome to Nano-Reef, looks like that was your first post! :welcome:

Here are my current light settings:

LC1     11 am - 9:00 pm

LC2     10 am - 9:30 pm

LC3      6 am - 12:30 am 

Let me know if you have any questions. I’ll try to add some more details about my setup into the first post of my thread today. Is your tank new? Would love to hear more. 🙂

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
On 1/23/2019 at 7:50 AM, banasophia said:

Yes, that’s the plan. I really liked the results when I was using distilled water for my tank, but I didn’t like having to use 7 one-gallon plastic jugs each week.

I had purchased and set up an RODI unit back in the summer, but I really didn’t like it and passed it along. So... I’m going to give this a try. We’ll see how it works. Apparently it takes around 5 hours to do a gallon of water, so I figure if I do a gallon a night that will give me the amount I need. 🤞🤞🤞

That home distiller is really interesting, do you have a direct link? I wonder how much electricity it uses per gallon of water, it's essentially a heating element right?

Your nano reef is seriously awesome, so many interesting specimens! I'm impressed with all the things you're able to find for unique mixed reef. It all seems to be going well, keep up the good work! 👍

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

That home distiller is really interesting, do you have a direct link? I wonder how much electricity it uses per gallon of water, it's essentially a heating element right?

Your nano reef is seriously awesome, so many interesting specimens! I'm impressed with all the things you're able to find for unique mixed reef. It all seems to be going well, keep up the good work! 👍

Hi CM, yes, I’m really intrigued by the home distiller. Here’s a link to the Amazon listing, and also a company website that seems to be a different brand, but selling the same unit:

Megahome Countertop Water Distiller Stainless, Glass Collection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ANW7HQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ZyttCbMDJT03J

http://www.h2olabs.com/p-55-stainless-steel-model-300ss-water-distiller-with-glass-carafe.aspx

Thanks so much for the nice feedback on the tanks. So far so good... the Biocube is obviously my love of my two tanks. 🙂 It’s fun to imagine how it will fill in over time, I just hope I can keep it stable, since I admittedly do things a bit differently in my tanks.  

I’ll keep everyone posted on the distiller... looking forward to its arrival this week.

• Like 1

Middle of the night shenanigans in the Biocube at 3 am... reminded me to set the bristleworm trap... I know, I know, they’re the earthworms of the reef... just going for a reduction in the population, not complete eradication.

5AB5D04D-446D-4517-B02D-3124C3E4F214.thumb.jpeg.1fabb7a6d9863ae2c870c3c7c970386e.jpeg

• Like 2
21 hours ago, banasophia said:

Hi @Cdeg4  thanks so much! 😊 And welcome to Nano-Reef, looks like that was your first post! :welcome:

Here are my current light settings:

LC1     11 am - 9:00 pm

LC2     10 am - 9:30 pm

LC3      6 am - 12:30 am 

Let me know if you have any questions. I’ll try to add some more details about my setup into the first post of my thread today. Is your tank new? Would love to hear more. 🙂

Thanks so much for the reply. Yeah new guy here on the forums so is my first post.

My biocube is about 5 weeks up and running with live rock, and cycled with Fritz Turbo Start. I have been trying to gauge a good light  time setting for this setup so anyone I see with a biocube is my first thought.

I do not have any corals as of yet, I did just recently add some livestock though. A pair of clowns: 1 ocellaris, 1 storm, and a firefish. The firefish was the first addition about a week ago and the clowns just came in on Friday. I know it's a little quick, but have been testing and monitoring like 3 times a day.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Cdeg4 said:

Thanks so much for the reply. Yeah new guy here on the forums so is my first post.

My biocube is about 5 weeks up and running with live rock, and cycled with Fritz Turbo Start. I have been trying to gauge a good light  time setting for this setup so anyone I see with a biocube is my first thought.

I do not have any corals as of yet, I did just recently add some livestock though. A pair of clowns: 1 ocellaris, 1 storm, and a firefish. The firefish was the first addition about a week ago and the clowns just came in on Friday. I know it's a little quick, but have been testing and monitoring like 3 times a day.

Nice, sounds good. I got my clowns first, about two weeks in, then my mandarin, then my purple firefish... Any ideas what corals you will be stocking? Stocking a new tank is so much fun. 🙂

7 hours ago, banasophia said:

Nice, sounds good. I got my clowns first, about two weeks in, then my mandarin, then my purple firefish... Any ideas what corals you will be stocking? Stocking a new tank is so much fun. 🙂

Good to hear you started sooner than I did and seeing this much success and progress. 

For corals I'm unsure, and feel kind of lost. I like some zoas, I like the torches, some of the favias, blastos, and I really like the rock nems even though they're inverts.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Cdeg4 said:

Good to hear you started sooner than I did and seeing this much success and progress. 

For corals I'm unsure, and feel kind of lost. I like some zoas, I like the torches, some of the favias, blastos, and I really like the rock nems even though they're inverts.

Just be aware of the risk of palytoxin in zoas and palys... I waited a good 6 months until I felt comfortable adding them, but some people feel comfortable with them from the get-go. 

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/palytoxin-in-the-marine-aquarium/

6 minutes ago, Wyatt45 said:

Paranoid. 

Hey! Just cuz our friend at the LFS said you could basically rub them on your face... Ask John at YR, I understand he’s had a couple of incidents. Did you even read that article? 🤣🤣🤣

Guess what I ordered last night... a ReefLens... even more pics coming soon 😬😂

Pricey, but looks awesome, and I’ve been seeing people post some great photos on Instagram and Facebook. Thought about wishing for it for Valentines Day, but then I’d have to wait another two weeks 😜

5FE0CC3F-BD8A-4AB8-AF47-E8CB3A15A8B3.thumb.jpeg.452411ee0462e9cb2daee4fde33e3dbd.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, banasophia said:

Thank you! I just realized I wasn’t following your tank... following now. 🙂 

Ahhh thanks!  Which one, I have 'Dawn's natural nutrient reef garden' and Dawn's pony garden?  Not much action in the pony garden since I can't really make changes.  What I have works and I am afraid to do anything different.  The natural nutrient garden reef is a work in progress so it will be changing as much as I can afford to make additions and such!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Ahhh thanks!  Which one, I have 'Dawn's natural nutrient reef garden' and Dawn's pony garden?  Not much action in the pony garden since I can't really make changes.  What I have works and I am afraid to do anything different.  The natural nutrient garden reef is a work in progress so it will be changing as much as I can afford to make additions and such!

Ah, it was your pony garden - I love that tank, your seahorses are so beautiful!!! 😍 I’ll have to look for your other journal... that’s not the second link in your signature is it?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

Almost bought the spider sponge at the frag swap last wknd. In hindsight, it would have been money better spent than getting the stupid not-so-bright gold torch. 

No way... torches are maybe my favorite!!! The spider sponge is interesting, but I think it will be tough to keep... I think you made a good choice. 🙂

• Like 1
5 hours ago, banasophia said:

Ah, it was your pony garden - I love that tank, your seahorses are so beautiful!!! 😍 I’ll have to look for your other journal... that’s not the second link in your signature is it?

LOL, I did not realize that I still had signatures because I can not see them on my tablet or phone.  No, its not.  I will have to get in my profile and change that.

• Like 2

Is it even a new day if I don’t post some new pics??? 😂😂😂

F7E94793-C56F-41E7-82FE-F50531E1EC05.thumb.jpeg.f2f5590c45e5dc9fe3cb42fcc589c071.jpeg

E053EB34-B04E-4B89-8F65-A45FB4AF80F0.thumb.jpeg.2c1b0ee9055fbb68e38120f3bc016848.jpeg

7D62B66E-3351-489D-8E6D-0637CB4EF3C9.thumb.jpeg.f289b9a72da049f3d1eddb4ecf7f06bb.jpeg

Also, the home distiller arrived last night... yay! So excited to assemble the carafe and test it out!!

17E044F7-D3CD-4257-A11D-4D9CCFC8EBB9.thumb.jpeg.e4add96557cdcc99f45293f40e26ab24.jpeg

0FEDDEC2-53D3-4120-A8D5-47EFBCA3BE75.thumb.jpeg.be35ebd69989edd182acbfcf07a07ad0.jpeg

• Like 5