ReefCleaners.org

Banasophia’s Biocube 16 & IM Nuvo 10 ☀️

banasophia

40 minutes ago, Daveg99 said:

I really like your 10 gallon.  Definetely an inspiration for my new build.   

Thanks so much! Do you have a build thread? I’d love to give it a follow. 🙂 

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Thanks so much! Do you have a build thread? I’d love to give it a follow. 🙂 

I do.   Unfortunately my tank is only 5 days old so no life yet.   But this is like my 10th tank in 17 years so I have some experience.   

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Daveg99 said:

I do.   Unfortunately my tank is only 5 days old so no life yet.   But this is like my 10th tank in 17 years so I have some experience.   

Thanks! 

Some top downs with my new zoas. Couldn’t fit the macro ReefLens on the iPad for a top down cuz it is so big it hits the water, so these are taken with the AquariClip orange lens, just zooming in... want to try the PolypLabs macro lens next time, it has a slimmer profile

3650FDBF-C9BB-4279-8021-0A68FFD440F5.thumb.jpeg.63fe147a8ae88aef0d52a7df015beab4.jpeg

B1F0BF1C-19AA-436A-B4B4-DEF1E4C97E21.thumb.jpeg.aecfd2d41767ee4b31a03b9106499c7b.jpeg

92D97735-233F-411B-8465-183C2D2A7510.thumb.jpeg.d850a63ef0a42eebf83cdaf239e14bb0.jpeg

• Like 4

Fragged the gorgonian in the foreground last night... I miss that beautiful branch (which is now in the Nuvo), but it’s nice to be able to easily see the Fiji yellow again. 

9A3F0C27-AACA-4146-8C5D-6798532A0FF6.thumb.jpeg.09d059b8dd38aa12e78af35539a72869.jpeg

858EFD01-8065-4EE2-82F2-5D05C198F21C.thumb.jpeg.3ae7384495f909f6f236b8759d509a56.jpeg

3CD8CCE4-F7E0-4FEC-B419-15A239F37E3C.thumb.jpeg.9d77ea2b7576326f162a5c712c75486a.jpeg

• Like 4
5 hours ago, banasophia said:

Fragged the gorgonian in the foreground last night... I miss that beautiful branch (which is now in the Nuvo), but it’s nice to be able to easily see the Fiji yellow again. 

9A3F0C27-AACA-4146-8C5D-6798532A0FF6.thumb.jpeg.09d059b8dd38aa12e78af35539a72869.jpeg

858EFD01-8065-4EE2-82F2-5D05C198F21C.thumb.jpeg.3ae7384495f909f6f236b8759d509a56.jpeg

3CD8CCE4-F7E0-4FEC-B419-15A239F37E3C.thumb.jpeg.9d77ea2b7576326f162a5c712c75486a.jpeg

The tank looks great! 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, LeoB said:

I love how your biocube looks! So full of life. I have a similar rock structure in my 32 biocube and hate how much rock is exposed. 

Thanks so much, LeoB! I intentionally stocked lots of invasive softies to see how everything would grow and fill in... it could become a serious jungle as time goes on... the Kenya tree drops lots of babies and the suns spawn, so those two corals are probably the most invasive in my tank at this point. 

You were considering upgrading your lights... did you end up doing that, or are you still running the stock lights? I tried to look for your tank journal to see your pics, but couldn’t find it... do you have one? 

My tank has been going for over a year and half, but I haven't had a chance to write it up yet. I keep wanting to though - one day. 

I have ave not upgraded lights either. I am just worried that I won't like it and then won't be able to put the stock ones back in. Whatever I run on the tank, my wife insists on keeping the stock lid. She thinks it looks messy without. I love rimless open tank look, but better not cross the boss 😉

IMG_5042.JPG

• Like 2
17 hours ago, LeoB said:

My tank has been going for over a year and half, but I haven't had a chance to write it up yet. I keep wanting to though - one day. 

I have ave not upgraded lights either. I am just worried that I won't like it and then won't be able to put the stock ones back in. Whatever I run on the tank, my wife insists on keeping the stock lid. She thinks it looks messy without. I love rimless open tank look, but better not cross the boss 😉

IMG_5042.JPG

Wow, beautiful! I love your rock flower anemone. And is that a plating coral up top, or a sponge?

I like Biocubes with the lid on as well, so I had considered getting one of the retrofitted lights available before I committed to keeping the stock lightning. The three light phases with the Biocube LEDs can lead to some really cool lighting conditions in the tank, though, so I’m really glad I kept it stock. 

On 2/21/2019 at 3:59 AM, banasophia said:

Wow, beautiful! I love your rock flower anemone. And is that a plating coral up top, or a sponge?

I like Biocubes with the lid on as well, so I had considered getting one of the retrofitted lights available before I committed to keeping the stock lightning. The three light phases with the Biocube LEDs can lead to some really cool lighting conditions in the tank, though, so I’m really glad I kept it stock. 

It's a red monty cap at the top. Unfortunately it only shows its dull side the the front of the tank and bright red is only visible from the top. I bought corrals that looked better in the store than under my lights though, but I also like the 3 phases of light during the day. 

• Like 1
On 2/22/2019 at 10:10 AM, LeoB said:

It's a red monty cap at the top. Unfortunately it only shows its dull side the the front of the tank and bright red is only visible from the top. I bought corrals that looked better in the store than under my lights though, but I also like the 3 phases of light during the day. 

I had removed my stock lights and regretted it. Keep the original!

• Like 1
On 2/19/2019 at 7:29 AM, banasophia said:

Some top downs with my new zoas. Couldn’t fit the macro ReefLens on the iPad for a top down cuz it is so big it hits the water, so these are taken with the AquariClip orange lens, just zooming in... want to try the PolypLabs macro lens next time, it has a slimmer profile

3650FDBF-C9BB-4279-8021-0A68FFD440F5.thumb.jpeg.63fe147a8ae88aef0d52a7df015beab4.jpeg

B1F0BF1C-19AA-436A-B4B4-DEF1E4C97E21.thumb.jpeg.aecfd2d41767ee4b31a03b9106499c7b.jpeg

92D97735-233F-411B-8465-183C2D2A7510.thumb.jpeg.d850a63ef0a42eebf83cdaf239e14bb0.jpeg

Wow, those zoas are beautiful....yet so deadly! Hahaha

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Wyatt45 said:

Wow, those zoas are beautiful....yet so deadly! Hahaha

Hey! 😂😂😂

Good timing cuz I just spoke to John at YR today and asked him about his experience and he said he has had 5-6 run ins with palytoxin, including one time he was hospitalized and another time he felt too bad to try to get help and went to sleep thinking he might never wake up, but thankfully did wake up and recovered. I told him I was going to send you to talk to him haha.

Also he said those pink stretching corals by my Fiji yellow that I thought were zoas are actually palys... ironic cuz they were my first ”zoas” and I was specifically trying to avoid (deadly) palys... oops... good thing I’m still alive haha. 😳😂

24 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Hey! 😂😂😂

Good timing cuz I just spoke to John at YR today and asked him about his experience and he said he has had 5-6 run ins with palytoxin, including one time he was hospitalized and another time he felt too bad to try to get help and went to sleep thinking he might never wake up, but thankfully did wake up and recovered. I told him I was going to send you to talk to him haha.

Also he said those pink stretching corals by my Fiji yellow that I thought were zoas are actually palys... ironic cuz they were my first ”zoas” and I was specifically trying to avoid (deadly) palys... oops... good thing I’m still alive haha. 😳😂

Nice. See- that 🧙🏻‍♀️ of FSL hates me- she never once told me to watch out for the zoas or palys she sold me. And those were the very first things she sold me. Gonna have to get myself some really long gloves cause I’ve been handling everything by hand or with some tweezers, but mostly by hand. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

Nice. See- that 🧙🏻‍♀️ of FSL hates me- she never once told me to watch out for the zoas or palys she sold me. And those were the very first things she sold me. Gonna have to get myself some really long gloves cause I’ve been handling everything by hand or with some tweezers, but mostly by hand. 

Haha. Well our LFS guy frags them by the dozens, maybe even by the hundreds, and did say that part of the issue is the type of saw he uses, which can aerosolize the palytoxin.

This article came out in Coral Magazine the month I started my tank, so I avoided zoas and palys for the first 6 months or so as I initially stocked my tank. 

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/palytoxin-in-the-marine-aquarium/

21 minutes ago, spectra said:

Just dont lick your fingers after fragging :wink:

I love zoas and have fragged many over the years. Palys to and knock on wood no issues yet.

Yeah I don’t plan to lick my fingers clean after getting coral poo slime on them. First rule of nursing- if it’s wet and not yours don’t touch it— I’ll also include slimy, gooey, off color, smelly, or zappy. I put a grape Euphyllia in the tank today and holy shnikeys did it skunk up the water, even after I’d rinsed it well. So gross. I basted it some more to dispel its cloud. Hope that sucker isn’t poisonous too.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1