Pod Your Reef

Rant

Aurortpa

I don’t usually rant, but I wish a guy on my local reef club page went here first.  +14 fish, minus a firefish who took matters into his own fins and jumped, plus a leopard wrasse in a 25 🤭  I’m just flabbergasted. 

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1

Yeah people post a lot of crazy stuff on some of the FB groups I’m on. I always want to refer them here to study up, but I don’t think you’re supposed to do that. 😬

13 minutes ago, Aurortpa said:

That’s extremely kind, many here are helpful!

Well the other thing is, here you can pretty easily figure out who the experienced people are... as opposed to FB where people give advice left and right even when they have no idea what they are talking about, but yet people still take their advice. We are lucky to have this community. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

My god I have two fish in my 20.... are they at least small nano fish? Kinda amazes me that some people can be kinda cruel.

TBH I don't think it is necessarily cruel, depending on the fish.  Some species probably take comfort in being crammed in to a tank.  That would be more of a species tank though, not buying every different fish you think is cool.  

water quality would definitely suffer though without frequent massive water changes.  

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 hours ago, specore said:

TBH I don't think it is necessarily cruel, depending on the fish.  Some species probably take comfort in being crammed in to a tank.  That would be more of a species tank though, not buying every different fish you think is cool.  

water quality would definitely suffer though without frequent massive water changes.  

omg imagine how bad that water would be if you didn't change it for a week...You'd probably have to change every couple days

If it was a bunch of gobies and tsb it probably wouldn't be an issue although good luck keeping 14 gobies and blennies together. Lol.

2 hours ago, specore said:

I have noticed that singular fish act different.

I have a bicolor blenny in a 5.5g and it's not crammed for space. He hides a lot, acts like a goby and very skittish when we approach the tank.

Blenny fish are usually very social 

In the wild fish aren't alone, when fish scatter and hide it's a sign of a predator coming along.

I often wonder if fish that are alone in a tank feel less secure?

• Like 2

Mmm well I don’t want to post a pic, double edged sword as I would have to give credit but simultaneously subject him to getting his name wiped in the used skimmer cup.

The video showed AT LEAST a half a dozen clowns, a leopard wrasse, a hawkfish, various dottybacks, two corris wrasses, an algae blenny, and various gobies.  + a velvet damsel I just saw...  Apparently he is aware this is a potential issue but is happy living on the edge. 🤯

Edited by Aurortpa
Saw another fish
  • Wow 1
45 minutes ago, Aurortpa said:

Mmm well I don’t want to post a pic, double edged sword as I would have to give credit but simultaneously subject him to getting his name wiped in the used skimmer cup.

The video showed AT LEAST a half a dozen clowns, a leopard wrasse, a hawkfish, various dottybacks, two corris wrasses, an algae blenny, and various gobies.  + a velvet damsel I just saw...  Apparently he is aware this is a potential issue but is happy living on the edge. 🤯

Yeah, that's nuts.  

My tank is probably what many would call a bit stocked, but it doesn't have 14 fish in it, but I do have more then most seem to keep in same size tank.

2 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

That's crazy