Pod Your Reef

MarineLand Penguin HOB Mods?

RedPhotog

Hello folks. I’ve been using a MarineLand penguin 100gph HOB for my 10g tank. I’ve operated HOBs fine with fish only systems but now that I’m finally getting into coral, I’m realizing other methods are more efficient and less maintenance for my reef. 

I do 10% weekly WCs, I don’t have the bio wheel running, and I change out my carbon cart every two weeks, while completely rinsing them the week prior during a WC. 

Does anyone have any advice on specs to modify the HOB? I don’t have much experience with sumps, skimmers, and whatnot. Should I ditch the carbon MarineLand carts all together? Run filterfloss or sponges? 

Im not seeing any dire need to change anything other than progressing in the hobby. I keep up on my husbandry daily, just wanting some options to increase flow and perhaps utilizing the space in my HOB. 

Can anyone express success and failures with these MarineLand type HOBs? 

Thank you in advance. 

It seems that no matter how much I rinse them, those cartridges still tend to release bits of activated carbon.  They are not ideal, but they are OK.  Unfortunately there isn't a lot of room for mods in that filter.  However, you can bag your own media if you wish.

I've used many hobs, I just don't use the biowheels(if it came with them) or filter cartridges.

I bag my own media, throw it in the filter and use filter floss cut to size.

I always siphon the water out of the filter at least every 2 weeks to remove any detritus (sucking it up with a Turkey baster works too)

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I've used many hobs, I just don't use the biowheels(if it came with them) or filter cartridges.

I bag my own media, throw it in the filter and use filter floss cut to size.

I always siphon the water out of the filter at least every 2 weeks to remove any detritus (sucking it up with a Turkey baster works too)

What kind of media and floss do you use? How much do you put in the filter? I’m thinking about bagging my own media but I really don’t know what kind of media to use. There seems to be a lot of debate over using carbon. 

How often do you change the media and floss? I don’t really have the means to go anywhere beyond an HOB for my nano system, so I am exploring options and advice I’m reading on the forums. I just don’t know what route to take. 

Do I need to run carbon on a tank that small with weekly water changes? Thanks in advance. 

I've always used a good carbon. I like Kent because it has next to no dust and I like Seachem as well.

I don't use a lot as I change it every 2 -3 weeks. 

I also use purigen which is change when it turns brown.

When I need to I use very small amounts of phosguard. This needs monitoring or it can strip the tank of phos.

I buy my floss in bulk and change it 2 times a week.

Every tanks needs are different and quantity used depends on tank size. I go by the directions on the back and I personally use a little less.