SaltCritters.com

Taking bets on the TDS coming out of an old RO/DI

paneubert

Taking bets on the TDS coming out of an old RO/DI that has been sitting wet for six years in my garage.  Source water back then read about.....50 TDS I think?  Sediment block, then 2 carbon blocks.  color changing DI resin.  Sediment looks just slightly off white.  Carbon blocks look like carbon blocks.  No idea what the membrane looks like. Can't remember what the resin looks like, but lets assume it is the "bad" color after all these years. 

Give me your guesses as to TDS and I will let you know who won when I get this thing running tonight.  Haha.

12 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

I'm going with 15 tds

Going to have to wait a day or 2 for results.  Of course my inline TDS meter that is hooked before and after the DI stage has dead batteries.  And my handheld also is dead..... So batteries are on order.  But here were my observations just from pressurizing things.  Everything is still watertight.  Gauge reads around 50 PSI when I am backflushing the membrane.  It jumps to around 60 PSI when I am running water thru the membrane.   The waste line seems to be pumping out a little over twice the amount as the pure line.....which might be a bad sign?  I think my membrane was suppose to have a waste ratio of about 4 to 1?  I can't remember.....it has been so long....  Neither line was gushing, so....that is an ok sign?  If the membrane was totally shot, I should have seen faster flow, right?  Well, I guess since I am putting it thru three stages before the membrane, a slow flow is to be expected even if the membrane was shot.

Anyway, will post some numbers when I get my meters back up and running.  Probably Friday.  Will also probably post that I ordered a new membrane and filters.  Hahaha.  

5 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

I'm not sure how they work but after 6 years I think you will be needing to get a new one set up 

Yeah, I ordered all new sediment, carbon, and a membrane just to be safe.  But they won't come for a few days, so I am going to see what the old stuff reads when I get some batteries.  Just for fun.

So my batteries came in.  TDS from the tap is 25.  TDS from the water dispenser on the fridge is 20.  TDS in the 342 reference solution is only 316......and it is refusing to calibrate to match the reference solution.  Ohh well.  It does read zero on my jug of distilled water.  So the low end seems accurate, the higher end, no so much.  I am going to buy a new meter and see if I can get back on track.

As for the RO/DI system and its in-line TDS meter, got batteries in that as well.  And much to my surprise, running water thru the 6 year old filters and membrane is bouncing between 1 and 3 TDS.  Post DI phase is strong zero.  Go figure!  Handheld is confirming these numbers, if it is to be trusted.  Even though it was reading as if all was working perfectly, I decided to switch out the sediment and carbon filters.  Went with a little bit of a weird micron size order.  My sediment is a 1.0 micron, the first carbon jumps up to a 5.0 micron, then the second carbon goes way back down and hits 1/2 micron.  I figure why not try to capture as much in the sediment filter so the carbons will last longer.  Pressure is showing 60 PSI, so I am happy with what is going on.  Making some water for my new tank as we speak.  Woot.