Pod Your Reef

My clownfish cant handle the flow?

NeonZoie

I jusr got my first pair of clowns today and after acclimating i put them in the tank without the pump on i turned it on a little later to find my calmly swimming clowns now frantic and trying not to get sucked up to the overflow. I immediately turned of the pump took it out and turned it down to its lowesr setting. Its a siche 1.0 in a 16 gallon aqua japan tank. Similar to an innovative marine tank. But even then on the lowest setting they at least dont get sucked into the overflow but now they almost play in the current coming out of the outtake but one of them gets too eager and ends up almost hitting the glass. Ive tried angling the outtake different ways but its the same thing. They just look like they're struggling a lot. 

This guy is extra salty

I have a four clown harem that a client has which they love to play in the flow of the powerhead. The powerhead is rated for a large tank 3150gph on 50% literally they will swim from one end of the tank to be blown to the other constantly. 

Turn on the powerhead during the day they will be fine.. remember the ocean is a lot more powerful than a machine53AA70E8-DCA5-4218-B989-884476487C94.thumb.jpeg.acaee84f393d3529b7a174d0bfa6f133.jpeg

• Like 2

They will adapt. If you are very concerned, just keep upping the % a bit each day until you are back to normal. My pair ride blasts all day long from my gyre peaking at 700 gph.  

• Like 1

I think they just look like they're struggling due to the way they swim. They'll adapt and will quickly learn where the lower flow areas are and go there to rest when needed.

• Like 1

It's called tough love 😉

Lols in all honesty, if you've ever been diving, you'll realise how much current is out there in the ocean compare to our tanks.  The exercise will put some muscles on the little things, they'll eat more and adapt to the new conditions. Overall much healthier fish. 

• Like 1