Pod Your Reef

Please help me identify what this coral is

Janine Pignatone

Janine Pignatone

Hi

ive had this coral for several months now. I was told it was a chalice. It is growing but it looks odd. At first it was like a maroon color and half the size. Then got white on the edges, and now this. Can someone help me Id please 

34EA57A7-3596-4D3D-936A-54250F0CE7C1.jpeg

9365CC74-98A1-484E-90D7-8892E15713DA.jpeg

fishfreak0114

It looks like a chalice to me, but it is mostly skeleton so kind of hard to tell.  Try to make sure no hair algae or anything grows on the skeleton that could prevent it from healing.

The red flesh square coral in the pic could have been a chalice or even an acan enchinata.

The flesh looks receded.

Either chalice or acan enchinata prefer low light and low flow areas.

• 5 weeks later...
Janine Pignatone

Unfortunately whatever that coral was it just turned all white then brown.  Sad that it died. So now my sister is into reefing and all is doing well. We bought a mixed bunch of corals and something appeared under one of my mushrooms.  I searched and searched to identify this critter but can’t find it anywhere.  Anyone have any ideas on what it is.  It is the transparent tubelike flower under the mushroom.   I hope you can see the pic.  Best I can do. Anyone have any ideas?

any help greatly appreciated 

jp

C8D77F8F-4BE8-44E4-B769-E65257507FF5.png