Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Coral Frags and Glue

Daniel91

1 minute ago, Daniel91 said:

Hi,

Recommendations for frag plugs and glue/putty?

I’ll be replacing the ones I receive the corals on.

Thanks

If I can remove them from the plug, I just glue directly on the reef. 

Any gel superglue that says cyanoacrylate will work. There are tons of different types of reef safe “putty” also. 

I plan on placing them on the sand bed until I find a good spot.

This should be ok, even without a plug, right?

Furthermore, while it might not be as pretty in the beginning, will the coral not be easier to remove if glued to rock with a plug instead of straight on? I want to avoid plugs but I need to prepare in case it needs to be moved.

5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

If I can remove them from the plug, I just glue directly on the reef. 

Any gel superglue that says cyanoacrylate will work. There are tons of different types of reef safe “putty” also. 

I use loctite ultra strength weather resistant super glue. Works great. Must have cynoacrylate

21 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

I plan on placing them on the sand bed until I find a good spot.

This should be ok, even without a plug, right?

Furthermore, while it might not be as pretty in the beginning, will the coral not be easier to remove if glued to rock with a plug instead of straight on? I want to avoid plugs but I need to prepare in case it needs to be moved.

There are a lot of people that re- plug after dipping to prevent pests...... so you can certainly do that and that makes it easier to place the plugs in the sand or on a rack while you figure out where to place them.  

You are correct..... it is usually easier to remove from the reef if it has a plug.  

I don't personally think there is any point in removing from one plug just to place it on another.  If your are placing them in the sand I would just leave them on the plug they came on, but either way they will need to be attached to a plug or piece of rubble if you place them on the sand.  

10 minutes ago, specore said:

I don't personally think there is any point in removing from one plug just to place it on another.  If your are placing them in the sand I would just leave them on the plug they came on, but either way they will need to be attached to a plug or piece of rubble if you place them on the sand.  

I've had a plugs that were covered in algae and I figured other unwanted pests could be on there, so taking them off the "dirty" plugs and putting them on clean ones kept those pests out. Or at least gave me some peace lol.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, specore said:

I am just being extra cautious by replugging - LFS might contain algae and eggs that my dip has been unable to deal with. 

Not saying it will avoid it completely but imo it’s a nice safety precaution.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jono said:

That's probably a true. I'm still a noob, so IDK, like I said, mostly for me its just gives me a (potential false) peace about it. 

You know what ...there's no right or wrong way.  Don't see where it would hurt anything, so carry on 🙂

22 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

Where do you guys buy your plugs/glue?

Any special brand?

I buy from Bulk Reef Supply a lot. 

Also:

Marine Depot. 

Amazon. 

3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I use crazy glue from the dollar store. Gel crazy glue containing only cyanoacrylate.

Any frag plugs or frag disks will work.

Crazy glue for both coral to disk and; disk/plug to rock?

Depends on the coral.  If you are talking about the skeleton of LPS, then yes (but you don't want to glue their flesh).  Soft coral, like mushrooms will often slime up and make them very difficult to glue.  If you can leave some of the plug, or cut under the glue (so that you have something to glue to the new plug), it should make it easy to glue just about any coral.

I've never used any of those specifically.  You want the only ingredient to be cyanoacrylate gel.  If that describes any of the above, then it'll be fine.