inTank Media Baskets

Reef Roids in Nano tank

MSunkin23

Hi Guys,

I had been feeding reef roids with my corals being quite happy. However, I have noticed I am constantly battling GHA.

Since this observation I have treated with fluconazole, eradicating 100% of the green hair algae. I have not use reef roids since, and the GHA has not returned. Has anyone else observed this phenomenon? - Obvious how it could cause a nutrient spike, but curious if others have found a way to manage feeding reef roids and keeping other consequences under control.

I mix up reef roids in a shot glass and siphon to spot feed with a kids medicine syringe.

Well I feed tons including reef roids and coral frenzy which are similar, so I use a skimmer and just started NOPOX which supports denitrifying bacteria to help break down the nitrates and phosphates... so far so good... will start a journal on my tanks so you can see how it works out. I struggle more with hydroids than algae in my setup. 

• Like 3

I feed reef roids. I use them once in 15 days. 100% of my corals are photosynthetic hence twice or tops thrice a months of reef roids. I have never faced an issue with GHA due to this.

What's your feeding schedule for your corals?

Hey Guys,

I feed 1/day enough pellets to be consumed within 2 minutes.

I was feeding reef roids once per week. 

20% water change every other week.

I will dial back the reef roids to once/twice a month and see how that goes. 

Thanks for the input,

M

• Wow 1
7 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

Hey Guys,

I feed 1/day enough pellets to be consumed within 2 minutes.

I was feeding reef roids once per week. 

20% water change every other week.

I will dial back the reef roids to once/twice a month and see how that goes. 

Thanks for the input,

M

Wow, yah, I feed a ton of pellets that float on top for 30 minutes then I swirl ‘em around with the powerhead for another 30 minutes, do this twice per day, plus I usually add at least one of phyto/zooplankton/reef roids/coral frenzy and a cube of something frozen like marine cuisine or live baby brine shrimp to the pellets once per day. 😯😬 Thank goodness for skimmers and water changes... but it’s because I have lots of hungry mouths to feed with my mandarin, my sun corals, and my emeralds and cleaner shrimp are pretty aggressive eaters too. No GHA issues at this point, thankfully. 

Yes, it is possible for Reed roids to add nutrients.

It depends on if you have corals that are consuming it and as well your husbandry of the tank.

There are many factors involved.

i had the same issue when i did broadcast feeding. now that i target feed i no longer have that problem. use a 10ml syringe and it'll make everything a lot easier and cleaner.

Thanks, perhaps I am making the mix too concentrated (almost thick paste). I think I could use a lot less which may help.

Acans just love that stuff so much...

M

1 hour ago, MSunkin23 said:

Thanks, perhaps I am making the mix too concentrated (almost thick paste). I think I could use a lot less which may help.

Acans just love that stuff so much...

M

I actually make it as thick as i can. watch this video on how to feed. Totally changes how my tank was reacting to reef roids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrv-GNcSEy4

It's likely not the reef roids in and of itself but of more nutrient import than export.   

Based on what I've read feeding corals once, maybe twice, a week is more than enough. 

My plan for my tank is reef roids once a week with a weekly 20% WC. 

• Like 1