Innovative Marine Aquariums

AI Prime HD diffuser

lpsouth1978

I recently upgraded my lights to the AI Prime HD and LOVE them. However, as is common with most LED's, there is a lot of disco ball effect and the shimmer is a bit too much. I love shimmer, but it needs to be aesthetically pleasing. This effect is made worse if the whites, reds, and greens are used at all.

I found a post on another forum about making a DIY diffuser for the Hydra 26 and thought "Hey, I can do that for the AI Prime". So I did, and the results are quite nice.

I ordered most of what I needed on amazon. I used 1/8" acrylic and sanded it to a nice opaque color. To attach it to the light, I ordered some 1/2" x 1-1/2" sign stand offs. The hardest part was finding the correct screw size to use. I just took one of the original screws to the hardware store with me and searched for a longer version of it. 1" long screws work perfectly, though I think 3/4" would work as well.

Here is a short video I took this evening showing the tank with the diffuser on one Prime and the other without, I will be making these for my Hydra 26 HD's that are on the way too.

30121399408_48909860b6_b.jpg20180811_205252 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr