ReefCleaners.org

SPS Basics

Nano Nano Boo Boo

9 hours ago, the camaro show said:

Also proper acclimation will increase success start on bottom for 3 days then move 4 inch’s up the glass on a frag frack for 3 days and repeat till at ideal height and I leave at that height for about a week till I mount on the rocks. Also dip dip dip and dip! You’ll be surprised to find stuff even when people say their tanks are pest free nobody has a completely pest free tank!

Nope. These acros come from around four inches below waterline, under 8 bulbs. You’ll just brown them out if you start them out at the bottom. Mid-high is good.  

20 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Dunno if you’ll make any difference. If your Alk is 12 and you do a 20% water change with an all of 8, you’ll end up at like 11.3

12 hours ago, KW NANOREEF said:

Alk is down to 11.3 from 12. Making good progress! Planning on small water changes everyday to get it down to a sweet spot!!

Look at the math skills on display y @HarryPotter  🙂

• Like 1
the camaro show

I understand what harry is saying by browning out but that would only happen if you gave them not enough light for a good while a few days should be fine, rather be brown then bleached safe  rather then sorry 

8 minutes ago, the camaro show said:

I understand what harry is saying by browning out but that would only happen if you gave them not enough light for a good while a few days should be fine, rather be brown then bleached safe  rather then sorry 

I’m pretty positive @HarryPotter knows what he talking about considering he is managing an all SPS tank as a 20 year old in college! He probably has better lights than one AI Prime as well. Can I get some more opinions on acclimating??

18 minutes ago, the camaro show said:

I’m in college too and manage all my tanks myself I also run radions not ai primes which aren’t enough light for sps

..... It depends on tank size too. Dunno if they blocked your IP at r2r, but here you go:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nuvo-8-sps-dominate.262543/

Wow, it is impressive you are in college. The photo you posted of "your" tank was published in that magazine over 8 years ago. You are such a prodigy; 13 and making that tank. I bow to your amazingness. @StinkyBunny @Aurortpa

• Haha 1

@Nano Nano Boo Boo and @KW NANOREEF,

all i gotta say is you never know until you try. And like most things in life, you are not likely gonna be 100% successful on the first try and that’s ok. You’ll learn from it. Funny enough my first ever acro from 3+ yrs ago is still living in my tank, but many others in between had died since then.  Acros are tough to get a hang of, but once you know how they do in your tank, you’ll be just fine. 

Oh and the biggest rookie mistake: trying to change things too quickly just to save one dying frag even when the others are doing well. 

Edited by micoastreefing
Added the second part
  • Like 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo
2 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

@Nano Nano Boo Boo and @KW NANOREEF,

all i gotta say is you never know until you try. And like most things in life, you are not likely gonna be 100% successful on the first try and that’s ok. You’ll learn from it. Funny enough my first ever acro from 3+ yrs ago is still living in my tank, but many others in between had died since then.  Acros are tough to get a hang of, but once you know how they do in your tank, you’ll be just fine. 

Oh and the biggest rookie mistake: trying to change things too quickly just to save one dying frag even when the others are doing well. 

Good pointers, I really appreciate it. 

19 hours ago, the camaro show said:

not ai primes which aren’t enough light for sps

This is not even remotely true - my 2g pico had SPS in it thriving for more than 2 years before I moved and broke it down under lights with less than 1/6 the power of the AI prime. My EcoPico's had a total of 9w - the Prime HD is 55w.

This is under my massive 9w 8w (one of my LEDs actually was blown - was only 8w total) after 2 years - those montis were in there for 1-2 years each and that acro for a few months at that point:

front.jpg&key=f59cd7ada21d6769e7f869f30f

top.jpg&key=20fec95f6b00e92879febdb7e013

• Like 1
A Little Blue
19 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

So true. Mistake that can cost you dearly. 

I have over half a dozen sps in my 3 month old tank. I lost an encrusting monti due to nudis and a pink lemonade (not sure why) so far. The Stag, Stylo, Pocillipora, Red Dragon, a green and blue birds nest, red monticap, and setosa are all doing well. I have them under t5/mh.

My alk is now back up to around 11.5-12. But still doing <10% water changes with instant ocean everyday. May have to bump it up to 20% daily. Any thoughts? Another option is just to keep it stable at 12 which is where it seems to want to stay lol

TBH, I'm not really sure what you are trying to do.  I assume that you are switching your salt mix to Instant Ocean in an attempt to lower alkalinity (to prepare for your SPS shipment).  IDK, some people claim IO mixes to as high 11 dKH.

58 minutes ago, KW NANOREEF said:

Another option is just to keep it stable at 12

Stability is always good.

Maybe consider switching to Fritz or LA?  Both have alkalinity between 8 and 9.5 dKH.  Can you better explain what you are trying to accomplish?

Nano Nano Boo Boo

You’re correct, he’s attempting to lower the alkalinity. We were brainstorming this tonight trying to figure out the cause. 

From what I have gathered, if you have “higher” nutrients—feed heavier, etc—then it is recommended you keep your alk higher. 

If you have an extremely clean system, keep it lower.

Whatever you chose, more importantly keep it stable. 

I don't know about that; but you're right that ultra low nutrient systems shouldn't have high alkalinity (or it will burn SPS tips).  However, alkalinity at 12 dKH in and of itself isn't bad for SPS.

5 minutes ago, seabass said:

I don't know about that; but you're right that ultra low nutrient systems shouldn't have high alkalinity (or it will burn SPS tips).  However, alkalinity at 12 dKH in and of itself isn't bad for SPS.

Yes true—12 is within range for keeping them. Yet with higher alk you have higher rate of potential growth so if you don’t have “food” the tips will possibly burn. 

CPS freshly mixed is 12 Alk. IO freshly mixed is 8 Alk. I am just going to leave my alk at 12. As of the last month it is super stable and doesn’t even want to go down even with 4 straight days of 10% water changes with instant ocean

• Like 1