Innovative Marine Aquariums

SPS Basics

Nano Nano Boo Boo

Nano Nano Boo Boo

Got a frag pack in the way that includes a Tort, Acro, and other various SPS. Any tips would be appreciated as I’m sure I’m not alone. I’ve researches basics like:

-High flow for water movement over SPS branching. Promoting a clean and well fed animal. 

-Clean, clean water and stable parameters. Especially Calsium, Alk, and magnesium. 

Hoping for some good success from these. Pretty stoked. 

2 hours ago, KW NANOREEF said:

Working on the tank all of tomorrow! Getting alk down fast!

Why are you trying to lower alk so quickly?

My SPS enjoy a little bit of zoo a couple times a week.  @Nano Nano Boo Boo & flow is very helpful indeed. 🙂

What are your water parameters (alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, phosphate, and nitrate)?  How does your tank water's alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium compare to a freshly mixed batch of saltwater?  Will you be dosing two part?

I assume, based on your question, that this is your first attempt at SPS?  How mature is your tank?  It's a little ambitious to try Acropora right out of the shoot (although not impossible).

Don’t have high expectations, 😃. There’s always one or two that’d go downhill fast or just drop dead unexpectedly in the tank. If you’re diligent enough about knowing your tank, you might be able to recover before they’re dead. That’s the best acro-specific advice I can say.

Most other SPS are unkillable. 

18 minutes ago, KW NANOREEF said:

My corals are coming in the mail with @Nano Nano Boo Boo ‘s. I need to get my alk down so that my water is perfect for the incoming SPS.

I would ask what is your current alkalinity level?  Also, what is the level of alk in a freshly mixed bucket of saltwater?  Why do I care about this?  if you have to do a large water change, you will swing alkalinity one way or another.  Stability is often more important than the particular level.

I assume that you've been reading about keeping alkalinity closer to natural seawater levels (7 dKH).  If that's your goal, I'd switch salt mixes to Red Sea's "blue bucket".  However, you can grow SPS at higher alkalinity levels; in fact, they will likely grow faster.  Many people recommend 9 dKH (some even higher).  Red Sea's Coral Pro (formulated for stony corals) has an alkalinity of 12 dKH. :whoa:

So what's all this about NSW alk levels anyways?  Well, you can't run an ULNS setup (typically achieved by carbon dosing) with high alkalinity without risking burning your SPS tips.  Also, it seems that 1 point swings are more devastating at higher alkalinity levels than at NSW levels.

Acropora do have something of a reputation for being tricky to keep. They are sensitive to water quality problems, as well as to lighting. Frags and small colonies (especially captive grown) tend to ship better and have a better track record for home survival. However, for the experienced hobbyist who is prepared to meet their needs these can be some of the most rewarding and beautiful corals to keep.

Acroporas demand a care level for the more advanced reef aquarist. They are low to moderately aggressive towards other SPS type corals. May be stung by more aggressive corals like the LPS, especially those that produce sweeper tentacles.

Strong light like Metal Halides, T-5's, or LED recommended and water flow should be strong, random flow is preferred. Place Acropora coral on the top third of tank and make sure your water is very clean. Stable water quality is preferred and may help prevent browning out and your Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium levels are important to skeletal growth.

- https://pacificeastaquaculture.com/pages/coral-care

It's not that uncommon to feed a tank with SPS; although this same article states, "Generally, SPS corals do not need to be fed directly and specifically feeding your tank for the sake of SPS corals is usually not recommended as this can lead to excessive nutrient levels and poor coloration".  It's a good warning not to overfeed.  These corals are photosynthetic and will get the bulk of their energy from your lighting.  They also get food from zooplankton blooms.  Again, a mature tank often helps facilitate a more hospitable environment for SPS.

Lots of lighting and flow, and no overfeeding. My alk is 8.4, but shouldn’t be an issue as long as yours is stable. These are tank raised/grown and should be pretty hardy 🙂 

• Like 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo
9 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

End the suspense, they dead yet?

Edit: Too soon?

Please don’t hold back on us, we’re all friends here. Haha! I’ve heard my fair share of stories about the good and bad of SPS. Hopeful but realistic. Lol. 

A Little Blue
4 hours ago, KW NANOREEF said:

My corals are coming in the mail with @Nano Nano Boo Boo ‘s. I need to get my alk down so that my water is perfect for the incoming SPS.

Don’t change your tank to suit specific species of corals. If it like your tank than great. If not, move on to something else. 

Corals in shipping get stress enough. A little swing in Alk shouldn’t be an issues. 

I keep my Alk at 9ish. 

Acros sure love light but you better acclimate them from lower light to wherever you want them at the end. 

You cant kill corals over short period of time with lower light. On the other hand, too much light in new tank with completely different water chemistry that it came from can kill it rather quickly. 

2 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Don’t change your tank to suit specific species of corals. If it like your tank than great. If not, move on to something else. 

Corals in shipping get stress enough. A little swing in Alk shouldn’t be an issues. 

I keep my Alk at 9ish. 

Acros sure love light but you better acclimate them from lower light to wherever you want them at the end. 

You cant kill corals over short period of time with lower light. On the other hand, too much light in new tank with completely different water chemistry that it came from can kill it rather quickly. 

I totally agree! I just need to get my alk down a bit. It will rest my mind. Lol. I’m hoping to get it down to at least 10-11

Nano Nano Boo Boo
4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I keep my Alk at 9ish. 

Good call. I’ve got to get all my current corals removed from plugs and glued in place. 

Just now, HarryPotter said:

We can always delay shipping 

No. I’m just doing small water changes during the day. My tank should be perfect for the new additions on Thursday

14 minutes ago, KW NANOREEF said:

No. I’m just doing small water changes during the day. My tank should be perfect for the new additions on Thursday

Dunno if you’ll make any difference. If your Alk is 12 and you do a 20% water change with an all of 8, you’ll end up at like 11.3

1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Dunno if you’ll make any difference. If your Alk is 12 and you do a 20% water change with an all of 8, you’ll end up at like 11.3

I still have 5-6 days to get it down. It should be good at 9.5

58 minutes ago, KW NANOREEF said:

I still have 5-6 days to get it down. It should be good at 9.5

I have harry’s sps and my alk is around 10, they are alive 🙂

• Like 1
the camaro show

Also proper acclimation will increase success start on bottom for 3 days then move 4 inch’s up the glass on a frag frack for 3 days and repeat till at ideal height and I leave at that height for about a week till I mount on the rocks. Also dip dip dip and dip! You’ll be surprised to find stuff even when people say their tanks are pest free nobody has a completely pest free tank!

A Little Blue
1 hour ago, KW NANOREEF said:

Alk is down to 11.3 from 12. Making good progress! Planning on small water changes everyday to get it down to a sweet spot!!

Getting to 10 or under will probably put you is a safe zone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Getting to 10 or under will probably put you is a safe zone. 

Perfect! Still got a time to get it down so I should be good to go by Thursday when @HarryPotter ‘s shipment comes in! 

• Like 2