Pod Your Reef

DIY overflow on 11g tank

JennyRS

I currently have an 11g cube that I would like to build an overflow in where I can keep stuff hidden as well instead of using a hob filter. Does anyone have tips on where to start? It's a glass aquarium so I'm not sure I can get away with using acrylic and what kind of sealer to use etc. 

There are HOB overflows, but they can be problematic. You'd probably want to look into drilling glass and bulkheads, watch a few videos on it, and if you think that's still what you want to do, get the tools and practice on a glass sheet first. Factor in tank size, height of overflow, and how much water you want to pump out. There are ways to attach acrylic to glass, but it's not super effective and I don't know much about that.

Edit: I misunderstood the question, do you want to make a separated partition within the cube?

You can use acrylic and silicone it in place. Even though it may not be 100% sealed, it can be sealed enough that it wouldn't effect the operation of the overflow.

Use the appropriate acrylic adhesive to bond any acrylic pieces together if it's not just one piece.

53 minutes ago, Lypto said:

There are HOB overflows, but they can be problematic. You'd probably want to look into drilling glass and bulkheads, watch a few videos on it, and if you think that's still what you want to do, get the tools and practice on a glass sheet first. Factor in tank size, height of overflow, and how much water you want to pump out. There are ways to attach acrylic to glass, but it's not super effective and I don't know much about that.

Edit: I misunderstood the question, do you want to make a separated partition within the cube?

Yes, am I mistaken is assuming this is an overflow vs where the filtration is built into the tank?

I suppose an overflow is anywhere where the water goes over or through a partition into a lower area, so I guess they both are There's different technical challenges for both, but I think you should be good to go with silicone, maybe support it by using partitions connecting to the back of the tank so there's a little less pressure on the seals.

5 hours ago, Lypto said:

I suppose an overflow is anywhere where the water goes over or through a partition into a lower area, so I guess they both are There's different technical challenges for both, but I think you should be good to go with silicone, maybe support it by using partitions connecting to the back of the tank so there's a little less pressure on the seals.

okay yes i understand what you mean. maybe i will follow the way that my smaller 5g is set up as an example and then get some acrylic to practice on before attempting to make the final pieces. if this fails i will have to opt for a used fluval or something.