SaltCritters.com

Newbie here

Carla3079

32 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

What do you do with your hoses when you are done making water?

i just checked out your tank lagoon thread...such a beautiful tank!... im thinking about re aquascaping my nuvo 10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I think a lot of us have used distilled water.  But it is a hassle lugging 16 one gallon jugs home from the store.  And it kind of sucks when you run out.  Not to mention the price difference.  For most of us, distilled water will cost you about $0.80 a gallon, while RODI should be around a third of that price.

Anyway, you probably have more important purchases to make.  Distilled is a viable option for now.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Euphylin me said:

the rodi hoses? i use those little velcro straps and tie them all together and put the whole unit in a plastic tub in my closet. in the same closet i have 3, 5 gallon buckets filled with water so i only have to make water once every week or two

I was asking because I remove mine. My unit sits on my counter and theres mo way to keep the hoses attached without the water pouring out

• Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, dferrari13 said:

Just buy distilled water from rite aid...so easy 

Honestly if I didn' have 3 tanks I'd still be buying distilled...a lot less hassle imo.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Clown79 said:

I was asking because I remove mine. My unit sits on my counter and theres mo way to keep the hoses attached without the water pouring out

oh i see... i use those little chip clips and put the bucket in the sink....chip clip the collection hose to the bucket and then chip clip the waste hose to the metal handle that is put down all the way. is this what you mean?

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, seabass said:

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

You can use some vinegar to clean it up.  @StevieT, do you recognize this tank?

OP, you have a Current USA AquaPod 12.

Been discontinued for almost 10 years now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
45 minutes ago, StevieT said:

OP, you have a Current USA AquaPod 12

Image result for aquapod12

That looks exactly like it.

Click on the pic to read about the recall on these tanks.  Only about 1000 tanks are affected by the recall, and it tells you how to check.  The potential danger occurs when only one light cord is plugged in (which can energize the second plug that is exposed).

I wouldn't expect them to replace a 12 year old tank, but it might be worth a call if it is one of the recalled units.  Replacing an old tank is probably cheaper than a lawsuit for a fire or personal injury.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Current USA is out of the Aquarium market.  The Solana was their last go at it say 8ish years ago.

The chambers in this tank are quirky.  For $50 to get your feet wet it's an alright aquarium.  Personally I would go with something newer.  Depends on if you want to keep the hood long term or not.  The cost of the aquarium is the lowest part of this hobby.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Yeah, I think a lot of us have used distilled water.  But it is a hassle lugging 16 one gallon jugs home from the store.  And it kind of sucks when you run out.  Not to mention the price difference.  For most of us, distilled water will cost you about $0.80 a gallon, while RODI should be around a third of that price.

Anyway, you probably have more important purchases to make.  Distilled is a viable option for now.

Personally I would start the tank using 5 gallon jugs of premixed saltwater from the LFS, or with Nutri-Seawater, or a combination of the two. Could also do Imagitarium seawater from Petco which is cheaper than Nutri-Seawater, but it doesn’t have the beneficial bacteria that Nutri-Seawater has, so I think the extra cost is worth it for a good start to the tank and to speed up the cycle.

After the initial setup, using distilled makes more sense because then you’re likely doing 2 gallon water changes once per week, so hauling 2 one gallon jugs of distilled is no big deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, StevieT said:

Current USA is out of the Aquarium market.  The Solana was their last go at it say 8ish years ago.

The chambers in this tank are quirky.  For $50 to get your feet wet it's an alright aquarium.  Personally I would go with something newer.  Depends on if you want to keep the hood long term or not.  The cost of the aquarium is the lowest part of this hobby.

Thank You 

7 hours ago, seabass said:

Thanks!

7 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

Just buy distilled water from rite aid...so easy 

Thank you!

4 hours ago, banasophia said:

Personally I would start the tank using 5 gallon jugs of premixed saltwater from the LFS, or with Nutri-Seawater, or a combination of the two. Could also do Imagitarium seawater from Petco which is cheaper than Nutri-Seawater, but it doesn’t have the beneficial bacteria that Nutri-Seawater has, so I think the extra cost is worth it for a good start to the tank and to speed up the cycle.

After the initial setup, using distilled makes more sense because then you’re likely doing 2 gallon water changes once per week, so hauling 2 one gallon jugs of distilled is no big deal. 

Thank you!!!

10 hours ago, seabass said:

You could definitely get a RODI unit.  No, they usually aren't plumbed directly into your tank.  Normally they fill a storage container and you use that to make new saltwater, and to top off your tank to make up for evaporation.

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

Thank you thank you!

Thank You!!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, StevieT said:

Hmmm.... Guess I need to do more research.. thanks @StevieT

Thank you!!!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Euphylin me said:

i live in an apartment and i have an rodi unit. go to home depot, menards, or any hardware store and get a sink to hose fitting connector. they are like 5 bucks. alot of rodi's come with a hose fitting end. this makes it to where i just put on the connector to my sink and attach the unit and im on my way to making water. I would recommend getting one that has a tds meter on it...and get a flush valve kit for it.... i know this sounds like a ton of information but as others have stated.....take it slow and ask here before you do anything that you are unsure of....it will save alot of money and headache later on

Awesome! Thank you!

5 hours ago, banasophia said:

Thank you!!

6 hours ago, seabass said:

Image result for aquapod12

That looks exactly like it.

Click on the pic to read about the recall on these tanks.  Only about 1000 tanks are affected by the recall, and it tells you how to check.  The potential danger occurs when only one light cord is plugged in (which can energize the second plug that is exposed).

I wouldn't expect them to replace a 12 year old tank, but it might be worth a call if it is one of the recalled units.  Replacing an old tank is probably cheaper than a lawsuit for a fire or personal injury.

Thanks for the info... I'm going to check it out.

I've had a few of those little tanks and they do a good job. I used them for quarantining new gobies and blennies as well as a hospital tank for sick leather corals.

I don't know where you're at, but if you look on Facebook, you can find locals to help you. As for the RO/DI water, pre-mixed seawater is an easy way to go for the start up and I know a lot of local places here have pre-mixed for about $1.25/gal here in the Maryland area. You'll want a gallon or 2 of regular RO/DI for make up water.

• Like 2

So what if the tank is old. Have you leak tested it? If not I would put it on the kitchen counter. Put a gallon of white distilled vinegar in there fill the rest with water if no leaks in a couple hours plug in the pump so you can test it plus the vinegar can clean the pump. After a couple more hours scrub everything with a toothbrush, rinse a couple times. Fill with water and let it run again for a bit to make sure everything is rinsed well. Do not use any soap or cleaning solvent on the tank or any equipment. Vinegar and some elbow grease. Do not worry about an RO/DI unit yet. Buy pre made Salt Water from the local store like you said. In other words GET IT WET. That's just me no rush. A couple gallons of distilled for top offs. You mentioned sand and live rock are you ordering that on line or getting it at the store? Are the lights compact florescent? If there are any bulbs in there I am pretty sure they will need to be replaced but have you plugged them in to see if they work?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking about your tank.  If it turns out that this is a recalled unit, I'd plug both plugs into one of these, and then plug that into a timer.  Don't worry about putting the lamps on different timers, it's not really necessary.

ClearMax 3 Prong Y Splitter Cable Power Extension Cord - Cable Strip Outlet Saver - Power Cord Splitter - 16AWG - 1 Foot - Black  or one of these  ClearMax 3 Pack of 1 Foot 3 Outlet Extension Cord 16AWG Indoor / Outdoor Use - Black - UL Listed

It sounds like you never want just one of the light cords unplugged.  One of these will allow you the plug and unplug them at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

I've had a few of those little tanks and they do a good job. I used them for quarantining new gobies and blennies as well as a hospital tank for sick leather corals.

I don't know where you're at, but if you look on Facebook, you can find locals to help you. As for the RO/DI water, pre-mixed seawater is an easy way to go for the start up and I know a lot of local places here have pre-mixed for about $1.25/gal here in the Maryland area. You'll want a gallon or 2 of regular RO/DI for make up water.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

So what if the tank is old. Have you leak tested it? If not I would put it on the kitchen counter. Put a gallon of white distilled vinegar in there fill the rest with water if no leaks in a couple hours plug in the pump so you can test it plus the vinegar can clean the pump. After a couple more hours scrub everything with a toothbrush, rinse a couple times. Fill with water and let it run again for a bit to make sure everything is rinsed well. Do not use any soap or cleaning solvent on the tank or any equipment. Vinegar and some elbow grease. Do not worry about an RO/DI unit yet. Buy pre made Salt Water from the local store like you said. In other words GET IT WET. That's just me no rush. A couple gallons of distilled for top offs. You mentioned sand and live rock are you ordering that on line or getting it at the store? Are the lights compact florescent? If there are any bulbs in there I am pretty sure they will need to be replaced but have you plugged them in to see if they work?

Thank you so much!! Im definitely feeling a lil discouraged after doing more research on the tank. But! I'm very thankful for your advice and everyone else's! So I'm going to go for it! I'm off tomorrow and Monday so planning on doing exactly what you suggested @debbeach13. Thank you so much 

I'm sure I'll have many more questions and will keep y'all posted. Thanks so much !

Oh.. and I live in Ga. And plan on getting the rock ext. from a LFS once I find one that is trusted in my area. Is that what you would suggest?

Thanks again!!

31 minutes ago, seabass said:

I was thinking about your tank.  If it turns out that this is a recalled unit, I'd plug both plugs into one of these, and then plug that into a timer.  Don't worry about putting the lamps on different timers, it's not really necessary.

ClearMax 3 Prong Y Splitter Cable Power Extension Cord - Cable Strip Outlet Saver - Power Cord Splitter - 16AWG - 1 Foot - Black  or one of these  ClearMax 3 Pack of 1 Foot 3 Outlet Extension Cord 16AWG Indoor / Outdoor Use - Black - UL Listed

It sounds like you never want just one of the light cords unplugged.  One of these will allow you the plug and unplug them at the same time.

Yes! This is exactly what I read the issue with the recall is.. thank you so much @seabass !! I was thinking of a way to do this... Or contemplating what to do.. so I really appreciate you remembering and posted your advice! This group is awesome! So glad I found yall!

• Like 3