Cultivated Reef

Newbie here

Carla3079

Please help... New to Salt water... Not sure if I made the right decision or not.. so asking for your opinion.... Please be nice... 

16 biocube? Not sure how old or what brand... What do y'all think? 

Paid $50 ??? Good or bad?

No leaks.. working lights.. ect..

20180808_205145.jpg

20180808_205319.jpg

20180808_205145.jpg

• Like 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo

Great deal if functional! I have a 32 gallon Biocube and really enjoy it. Great beginners tank that runs pretty seamlessly. 

• Thanks 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo

All you really need now equipment wise is a heater. Sand and a few pounds of live rock and you’re well on your way. Welcome to the reef world!

• Thanks 1

Congrats on your first saltwater tank, and looks like you got a great deal. Not sure if it’s a Biocube 16... looks pretty different from mine, but maybe an earlier version? So excited for you just getting started. I started in the hobby in March and I love it. Welcome to the community. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the obsession! It looks like a Biocube, if it has LED's, but that's a guess. U might want to upgrade to a larger return pump, like an MJ900 or MJ1200 ( if it will fit), or maybe a Sicce (spelling?). Do lottsa research, especially if it's your first reef. Great people and info on this site, so pick our brains. We want you to succeed. 

• Thanks 1

Take it slow and ask questions. Are you planning on making a journal for the tank? Everyone loves to see tanks getting wet and progressing

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much y'all!! I'm definitely not rushing.... Got so much to learn! 

Hope I don't drive y'all crazy with all my questions....

So #2... LOL

What about a Rodi ? Is my tank (16 biocubeish 😉) to small for one? Do they all attach to the tanks and stay on it? I'm so confused about the Rodi's....

If I get one, what do y'all suggest?

I plan on using sand and purchasing live rock...

TIA!

You could definitely get a RODI unit.  No, they usually aren't plumbed directly into your tank.  Normally they fill a storage container and you use that to make new saltwater, and to top off your tank to make up for evaporation.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Carla3079 said:

So #2... LOL

What about a Rodi ? Is my tank (16 biocubeish 😉) to small for one? Do they all attach to the tanks and stay on it? I'm so confused about the Rodi's....

TIA!

Rodi units are not attached to the aquarium.

Rodi units filter tap water to make the water safe for use. They are either hooked up to a faucet or plumbed into your existing plumbing.

Until you get an rodi, you can use distilled water which is pure water and safe.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

You can use some vinegar to clean it up.  @StevieT, do you recognize this tank?

Do y'all know what brand this tank is?  Haven't found alot of Info on it? 

RIP Sebastian
2 minutes ago, Carla3079 said:

So #2... LOL

TIA!

RODI units are hooked up to a water supply, not directly to a tank. You turn on the faucet and the water is purified through the unit. You then use that water either for top off OR you mix salt in it. I really like the units from Bulk Reef Supply (BRS). Actually, BRS has an excellent YouTube Channel. One is their process of setting up a 160 gallon, but it goes through everything you need to know about setting up a tank. Here is the link, I suggest you watch all of the videos. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, seabass said:

You could definitely get a RODI unit.  No, they usually aren't plumbed directly into your tank.  Normally they fill a storage container and you use that to make new saltwater, and to top off your tank to make up for evaporation.

DUH! I knew I was missing something! Darn.. l live in a 1 BR Apt.. guess I'll have to figure that out! So glad to finally start understanding! 

Thank You!!

2 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

RODI units are hooked up to a water supply, not directly to a tank. You turn on the faucet and the water is purified through the unit. You then use that water either for top off OR you mix salt in it. I really like the units from Bulk Reef Supply (BRS). Actually, BRS has an excellent YouTube Channel. One is their process of setting up a 160 gallon, but it goes through everything you need to know about setting up a tank. Here is the link, I suggest you watch all of the videos. 

Awesome!! Thank You!!!

• Like 1

I sat and watched through all of the BRS videos a couple weeks ago; I'm impressed with how well made they are and their content. I wish I'd watched them when I first set things up a couple tanks back - I'm sure I'd have made fewer mistakes. A good hot drink and a comfy chair and the videos will keep you entertained for a Friday night

• Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, Carla3079 said:

DUH! I knew I was missing something! Darn.. l live in a 1 BR Apt.. guess I'll have to figure that out! So glad to finally start understanding! 

Thank You!!

Awesome!! Thank You!!!

If you are in an apartment you can get an adapter to hook it up to the faucet in the event you can't permanently plumb it.

Some apartments don't have access to water shut off which prevents you from being able to plumb the unit. 

The tank looks like a Biocube pr Nanocube

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Carla3079 said:

Do y'all know what brand this tank is?  Haven't found alot of Info on it? 

This is what the top of my Biocube 16 looks like. Does yours have any information on the plug? What do the lights look like? 

D5BA42AE-BF0F-4063-9EE1-62C5A352C745.jpeg

24B8DE45-DF08-42C5-80D1-20D0BCD6606E.jpeg

8820B01A-D1D0-414C-B3CF-A5C0B20150B6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hooded tanks like this look nice, but tend to be heat traps. I fought high temps in my Biocube 14 for a year and finally pulled it off, cut eggcrate to fit and that solved the problem. My evap rates went up but my corals are much happier.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Carla3079 said:

Thank You!!

Awesome!! Thank You!!!

i live in an apartment and i have an rodi unit. go to home depot, menards, or any hardware store and get a sink to hose fitting connector. they are like 5 bucks. alot of rodi's come with a hose fitting end. this makes it to where i just put on the connector to my sink and attach the unit and im on my way to making water. I would recommend getting one that has a tds meter on it...and get a flush valve kit for it.... i know this sounds like a ton of information but as others have stated.....take it slow and ask here before you do anything that you are unsure of....it will save alot of money and headache later on

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Euphylin me said:

i live in an apartment and i have an rodi unit. go to home depot, menards, or any hardware store and get a sink to hose fitting connector. they are like 5 bucks. alot of rodi's come with a house fitting end. this makes it to where i just put on the connector to my sink and attach the unit and im on my way to making water. I would recommend getting one that has a tds meter on it...and get a flush valve kit for it.... i know this sounds like a ton of information but as others have stated.....take it slow and ask here before you do anything that you are unsure of....it will save alot of money and headache later on

What do you do with your hoses when you are done making water?

• Thanks 1

the rodi hoses? i use those little velcro straps and tie them all together and put the whole unit in a plastic tub in my closet. in the same closet i have 3, 5 gallon buckets filled with water so i only have to make water once every week or two

• Thanks 1