Cultivated Reef

Water Changes

Oscaralexander

Just now, Oscaralexander said:

Hello everyone,

I recently got a 35 Gallon saltwater tank. How much and how often should i change the water?

Thanks, 

That’s a loaded question. 

Tell us more about the tank. Is it already set up? brand new?

• Like 1
Oscaralexander

Its up and running. I have 2 clowns 1 Azure Damsel  1 Peppermint shrimp 1 Tiger pistol shrimp 1 Yellow watchmen Goby 4 blue legged hermit crabs and 2 orange spotted grazer snails. 
Filter system is EHEIM professionel 4+ 250 and im about to put a octopus HOB 100 protein skimmer on Sunday.
Sorry i should have been a little more detailed from the beginning.  lol

• Like 2

Small weekly water changes are best.  I had a 36 gallon and would do 10 gallons one week and 5 gallons the next.  I would say somewhere between 5-8 gallons a week would be right for your size tank. 

Each tank and set up is different.

I would recommend trying 10%/weekly for a few weeks and then 20%/bi-weekly for a few weeks. Always fun to experiment, you will quickly notice what your system prefers but again, it’s all about stable parameters and routine.

Keep in mind how much water is actually in your tank (rock, sand, filtration) - 3-5 gallons weekly should be a good benchmark and adjust from there based on the results.

Simple answer would be to start at 10-15percent of water volume weekly. That’s usually for a small reef seems like you have a fish only tank and no corals. So nitrates are as big of a deal , so as long as you don’t feed like crazy and aren’t having algae issues then nutrient export might not be as big of a concern and you could get away with less frequent water changes . 

• Like 1

Everyone's system and method is different.

It really depends on the system.

Most common is weekly 10-20% but some do it every 2 weeks, some monthly, some not at all.

As an example I have 3 reefs and each one is different.

My 25g needs a weekly waterchange and I do about 3.5-4g. It only has 2 clowns, shrimp, cuc, and corals.

My 5g I often do a 1.5g waterchange every 1.5-2 weeks.

It has a bicolor blenny, cuc, and coral

My 10g is done every 1.5 weeks, 2g st most, it has a clown, corals, and shrimp 

I have no refugiums, no skimmers, just lights, pumps, heater on each system.

• Like 1