Pod Your Reef

Zoanthids

Myles O'leary

Myles O'leary
1 hour ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

What’s the latest water test reading? Any new additions? Or corals growing close to them?

I haven’t tested the water recently, we got a peppermint shrimp recently but I don’t think that’s the problem and, there are other corals growing very close to them which I suspect is the problem.

2 hours ago, Myles O'leary said:

Hi, my zoanthids are not looking as goood as they used to. Does anyone know the cause of this? Thanks!

What does not looking as good as they used to mean? Are some open and not all of them? You sure the peppermint is picking at them? Take a turkey baster and blast them with water a few times. This should be done regularly to keep the mats clean of detrius. Your corals will thank you and open up bigger than normal. 

17 minutes ago, Myles O'leary said:

I haven’t tested the water recently, we got a peppermint shrimp recently but I don’t think that’s the problem and, there are other corals growing very close to them which I suspect is the problem.

I don’t think that’s the problem. I pack my corals in right next to each other. It didn’t get much tighter than this with a anemone right next to my zoas which stayed happy. 

48A93637-CBFC-4DC4-8A90-A0FBA6D981F6.jpeg

Myles O'leary
13 hours ago, Lawnman said:

What does not looking as good as they used to mean? Are some open and not all of them? You sure the peppermint is picking at them? Take a turkey baster and blast them with water a few times. This should be done regularly to keep the mats clean of detrius. Your corals will thank you and open up bigger than normal. 

They used to open up big and I’m pretty sure that there were more of them before.

Could it be a lack of light or flow?

50 minutes ago, Myles O'leary said:

They used to open up big and I’m pretty sure that there were more of them before.

Could it be a lack of light or flow?

Maybe...but we would need much more info about your setup and water parameters.