Pod Your Reef

Anyone else find it relaxing ?

Toxic enigma

Toxic enigma

I've noticed that whenever I have a stressful day at work I come home and spend time with one of my tanks. Usually doing things like testing, waterchanges or cleaning the glass and equipment. Somehow it always seems to calm me down. So I wonder if anyone else does this too?

• Like 8

Haha, or I find an issue in my tank and it transforms into a circus of a godzilla project—at that point, no other worldly problems exist, lol.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

My tank is absolutely the result of work stress. I remember the first time I went into one of my LFSs on a particularly stressful day in February and saw their tank full of beautiful pink pulsing Xenia - I was mesmerized!  

I then poured all my energy and attention into learning this new hobby, and it was a huge help for me to take my mind off work. Now I just focus on the fact that I need to keep my job and cope with the stress because I need to be able to pay to take care of my beautiful tanks. 🙂 

• Like 7

Absolutely. I’m an insurance adjuster, likely one of the most hated individuals in the country. Lol. I have a 3g reef on my desk that I lose myself in during tough conversations. 

• Like 5

My tanks have really helped me a lot.

I have health issues that altered my life and I turned to getting back into the hobby for purpose, relaxation, and enjoyment.

Now there are of course the stressful times but the rest of the time my mini reefs bring me a lot of peace and joy.

• Like 7

Whenever my wife is looking for me she always checks the bedroom first, because she's pretty sure she will find me sitting in front of the tank, mesmerized, like a little kid staring through a candy store window.

• Like 6

I just set up s new tank and I am always looking for something to work on in my tank. If I can’t find anything to work on, I will just stare at the tank for a solid 30 min without moving. Also find the sound of the return pump super relaxing. It helps me fall asleep lol

• Like 4
Toxic enigma
23 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

Haha, or I find an issue in my tank and it transforms into a circus of a godzilla project—at that point, no other worldly problems exist, lol.

Yep, that cord is getting annoying hanging there turns into replumbing the whole tank lol

1 hour ago, KW NANOREEF said:

I just set up s new tank and I am always looking for something to work on in my tank. If I can’t find anything to work on, I will just stare at the tank for a solid 30 min without moving. Also find the sound of the return pump super relaxing. It helps me fall asleep lol

I find it hard to sleep without the sound of something running too. My loudest tank is actually at the foot of my bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First thing I do when I get home from work is go stare at the tank.  Last thing I do before I go to bed is stare at the refugium.  It's so calming to me I could watch for hours.  I recently set up an IP cam so I can even watch it at work now.  LOL

• Like 3

I set mine up so I can roll half out of bed and see the tank downstairs from the loft.. 

mine is a look down anyway.. yep, de-stresses.

i did just get rid of a 20 because it was too much work.. wasn’t enjoying it

• Like 2
Toxic enigma
1 hour ago, reefhound said:

I set mine up so I can roll half out of bed and see the tank downstairs from the loft.. 

mine is a look down anyway.. yep, de-stresses.

i did just get rid of a 20 because it was too much work.. wasn’t enjoying it

I just re homed a brackish puffer for much the same reason, maintaining the tank was turning into a chore and was becoming the only time I spent with the tank.

On the up side he went to someone that had an 80 with a 40 mangrove fuge owned by someone more than capable of giving him a good life. The guy that got him works at a fish store I frequent so I can ask how he's doing. Plus one of my reefs that I'm more focused on gets an upgrade to a bigger tank, that I really only need powerheads, some more rock and sand and different bulbs to make happen. 

I also turned a hi fin in.. they took him home to pair with a pistol. Had him 3 years now. When my IM lagoon started leaking, I almost quit for good, but now I have a hitech ADA 60 F

love the tank and look, and one mixed salt bucket last 2-3 weeks. Perfect.

Toxic enigma
5 hours ago, reefhound said:

FF7498_A8-_DF73-47_C0-9_EFC-_E32_AED9_AC

Pssst... something hidden in the pic..

(hint: I’m in So Cal)

fragging calms me down... 

Not well hidden lol

5 hours ago, reefhound said:

What, is that a nug jug I see or am I not getting the hidden deal?

On 8/9/2018 at 12:37 AM, xtra0t said:

Absolutely. I’m an insurance adjuster,

I know exactly what You Mean since my father was an insurance adjuster bringing his paperwork home and having to call customers to get additional facts. Wow, I sure learned the Ugly side of Many who changed color quickly.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, reefhound said:

Mehhh.... I dont know if I'd have uhh...  "consumables" near by while I was fragging.  I'm sure even coral slime with no palytoxin cant be too good to incinerate and breathe in.

• Haha 1

2_FC3_EA9_E-4905-482_F-99_F6-_CFE97_E497

seeing a a new Ricordea that I’ll be fragging soon relaxes me...

even when half my plumbing is torn apart while parts get here... new pump and all

• Like 1
On 8/9/2018 at 2:37 AM, xtra0t said:

Absolutely. I’m an insurance adjuster, likely one of the most hated individuals in the country. Lol. I have a 3g reef on my desk that I lose myself in during tough conversations. 

You can't just say that and not provide a link.  Shame.  

I also have a 3.4G on my tank and I've been kicking around the idea of converting it to a SW.  I agree though, an office tank is incredibly relaxing. 

• Haha 2

I'm a grad student and I always come home and look at my tanks first thing and if it was a long day in the lab, sometimes when I look at them, I fall asleep right there in front of it and wake up an hour later feeling refreshed!

• Like 1