Top Shelf Aquatics

Opinions on the Melanarus Wrasse?

Banjo

Currently have two clowns in my aquarium and will be adding a few more fish. I was thinking about a Melanarus wrasse because they seem a bit different, very pretty and active. Does anyone have any experience with them? What's your thoughts? The tank will be mostly SPS with a few LPS at the bottom.

I've done some research on them, but haven't had the chance of owning any yet. From what I've read they eat the widest range of hitchhikers, flat worms, pyramid snails, etc. But they do snack on your snails that you intentionally add. You also need a deep sand bed for them because they burrow when they sleep. I would definitely buy one if I had the right tank for it.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Joevember said:

I've done some research on them, but haven't had the chance of owning any yet. From what I've read they eat the widest range of hitchhikers, flat worms, pyramid snails, etc. But they do snack on your snails that you intentionally add. You also need a deep sand bed for them because they burrow when they sleep. I would definitely buy one if I had the right tank for it.

That’s basically what I’ve been reading as well. Cool, thank you very much! I may end up trying one out and seeing how it goes. I have a minimal CUC so I’m not too worried on the snails, shrimp, crab front, but we’ll see! I’ve read reports that it can go both ways, sorta like dwarf angels and corals. 

45 minutes ago, Banjo said:

That’s basically what I’ve been reading as well. Cool, thank you very much! I may end up trying one out and seeing how it goes. I have a minimal CUC so I’m not too worried on the snails, shrimp, crab front, but we’ll see! I’ve read reports that it can go both ways, sorta like dwarf angels and corals. 

Yeah, like a dwarf angel.... I had a coral beauty that took chunks out of my clam.

lpsouth1978

This has to be one of my favorite Wrasses and is even at top of my favorite FISH list. Once they are comfortable with your tank, they are an incredibly active fish and will swim ALL over the tank constantly looking for food. They get along with every fish I have ever put in with them. They are also VERY good eaters. They will eat virtually anything. Mine goes crazy any time I feed the tank, and will eat so much that his stomach is bulging, yet he will try to get more. I don't have a CUC so I never worry about him eating any snails I don't want him to.

If there is one thing I don't like about the Melanarus, it is that they are such PIGS. It makes it more of a chore to spot feed corals and anemones. Mine will go anywhere and steal food from any coral or anemone. I had him swim right into my RBTA this morning to steal some mysis. Also, you may not see it for a few days after you add it to your system. Mine have always nose dive into the sand the moment they are released into the tank and usually do not re-appear for a couple of days.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, lpsouth1978 said:

This has to be one of my favorite Wrasses and is even at top of my favorite FISH list. Once they are comfortable with your tank, they are an incredibly active fish and will swim ALL over the tank constantly looking for food. They get along with every fish I have ever put in with them. They are also VERY good eaters. They will eat virtually anything. Mine goes crazy any time I feed the tank, and will eat so much that his stomach is bulging, yet he will try to get more. I don't have a CUC so I never worry about him eating any snails I don't want him to.

If there is one thing I don't like about the Melanarus, it is that they are such PIGS. It makes it more of a chore to spot feed corals and anemones. Mine will go anywhere and steal food from any coral or anemone. I had him swim right into my RBTA this morning to steal some mysis. Also, you may not see it for a few days after you add it to your system. Mine have always nose dive into the sand the moment they are released into the tank and usually do not re-appear for a couple of days.

Very cool! Thank you for the info. I think I'm going to be picking one up. They're really pretty and everything I read on them says how active they are.

They are great fish, but they do have a few issues you need to be aware of. They WILL eat all snails, crabs, limpets or any feather worms in your tank, it's the way they are. They are probably the BEST thing for eliminating pests, so much so that I have them in all of my runs for pest control. When I add anything new, they go right to it and clear it of any hitchhikers in a week or less. They must have a sand bed in which to sleep. The ones out of Fiji are lighter than the ones out of The Philippines.