Top Shelf Aquatics

My first saltwater build

Pike

Thanks everyone for the help! I introduced a clown, clearing crew, some Kenya trees and some LR from a friends tank.

the water seems fine after testing Ammonia and nitrit.

after one day they all seem ok!

I have introduced light grad. for a week and now i have it running becouse of the trees..

but to my question, I have the Nanobox quad with moonlight channel. This channel is green and also the one in default for night.

I thought you should have some blue light in the night to simulate the moon but now is it green.

is that correct or is the light channel moonlight wrong in color? 

Update and reminder to myself, buy a better camera!

everything seems to be going good. Everything is still alive!! 🙂

How long would you wait before giving the clown a clownbuddy? 

Ammonia: 0 - 0,20 (hard to tell) salifert

nitrit: 0

nitrat: 7-8

A6A05ED2-075D-4E63-AB4C-0883E1800CCA.jpeg

46468B2A-9078-4697-B870-77FD33BD673C.jpeg

Christopher Marks

Beautiful aquarium system you have created @Pike, the custom stand, concrete top are a nice touch! I love how you have hidden all of the lighting wires in the wall, and even the MP10 cable in conduit, it's gorgeous! It looks like your diatom bloom is nearly finished too, that's great. Keep up the good work!

Would it be alright with you if I moved your build journal to our Aquarium Journals section? Thanks for being part of the Nano-Reef Community!

17 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Beautiful aquarium system you have created @Pike, the custom stand, concrete top are a nice touch! I love how you have hidden all of the lighting wires in the wall, and even the MP10 cable in conduit, it's gorgeous! It looks like your diatom bloom is nearly finished too, that's great. Keep up the good work!

Would it be alright with you if I moved your build journal to our Aquarium Journals section? Thanks for being part of the Nano-Reef Community!

Thanks alot!

its been a journey 🙂 Im about to introduce my first coral besides the two kenya trees i got from the living stone! 

It is no problem, you can move the thread to the right section. Sorry for the miss 🙂

Take care!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, specore said:

I love the three islands you've created.  What are the rest of your stocking plans?

Hi and thank you! IM about to plan the aquarium in sections. My first buy is a Euphyllia for my clows. IM not ready for a anemon yet. But when i am it Will be a Heteractis crispa. 

I will get back when i planned it 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pike said:

Hi and thank you! IM about to plan the aquarium in sections. My first buy is a Euphyllia for my clows. IM not ready for a anemon yet. But when i am it Will be a Heteractis crispa. 

I will get back when i planned it 

I wouldn't get your hopes up on the clowns hosting the euphylia.  I think it is more likely with a very large specimen, which is probably good as clowns hosting a small frag would likely irritate the living daylights out of the coral.  

Of course you could just show them a picture of clowns hosting euphylia.  Some people actually believe that works lol

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, specore said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up on the clowns hosting the euphylia.  I think it is more likely with a very large specimen, which is probably good as clowns hosting a small frag would likely irritate the living daylights out of the coral.  

Of course you could just show them a picture of clowns hosting euphylia.  Some people actually believe that works lol

Haha 😄 

il will get that picture, what a brilliant idea!

The clowns will be forced to live in the corner until im skilled enough to put my first anemon in then..

they seem happy so that shouldnt be a problem 🙂

I also orded a larger cleaning crew so they could get it all before it takes over!

But the best coral for clowns would be specimen in your opinion?  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Pike said:

Haha 😄 

il will get that picture, what a brilliant idea!

The clowns will be forced to live in the corner until im skilled enough to put my first anemon in then..

they seem happy so that shouldnt be a problem 🙂

I also orded a larger cleaning crew so they could get it all before it takes over!

But the best coral for clowns would be specimen in your opinion?  

I would go for an elegance coral for clown hosting. They can get big, and they are not bothered much by fish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, specore said:

lol.  I just meant it would need to be a large euphylia 🙂

image.png.6b6f305ef0e483be67bc642291dcd4b3.png

I warned for bad english in the beginning 😛 

thanks for the lesson! I will get back with a swedish word for you 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
34 minutes ago, Joevember said:

I would go for an elegance coral for clown hosting. They can get big, and they are not bothered much by fish.

Thanks, i have looked in to that and will get one when i been up and running a little longer 👍

Today my two lonely Kenya trees seemed a little sad. Becouse i have been in a cycle i have not changed the water in 5-6 weeks . I decided to take some tests before and they showed this result:

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10

Ammonia: 0 /max 0,20 hard to tell on salifert

Mag: 1140 

Phosfate: 0

KH: 8,6

Calcium: 470-500

i hope my small water change takes upp mag. and takes down the calcium! Nitrate are a little bit high as well.. any other opinions?

I always put in some extra bacteria after a change as well! (Special blend)

Take care!

• Like 1
On 9/12/2018 at 10:13 AM, specore said:

Of course you could just show them a picture of clowns hosting euphylia.  Some people actually believe that works lol8

Lol. Mine hosted a frogspawn with 2 heads, now 4 heads. The day I added it that was it, it was theirs.

my other clown hosts xenia.

They pretty much will host anything from various corals to powerheads. 

Elegance is the one coral you don't want them hosting. Elegance is pretty delicate and prone to disease. Clowns are rough when they are hosted and can easily cause issues with an elegance.

Your water parameters will need time to balance out. It's a new tank. Depending on the salt you use, that will also effect parameters.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Lol. Mine hosted a frogspawn with 2 heads, now 4 heads. The day I added it that was it, it was theirs.

my other clown hosts xenia.

They pretty much will host anything from various corals to powerheads. 

I would think a 2 head frogspawn would struggle with hosting clowns, just because there aren't a lot of polyps to spread the attention to.  Guess not though.  Only thing I've ever had clowns host was my toadstool.  

3 hours ago, specore said:

I would think a 2 head frogspawn would struggle with hosting clowns, just because there aren't a lot of polyps to spread the attention to.  Guess not though.  Only thing I've ever had clowns host was my toadstool.  

My frogspawn has long tentacles. Unfortunately 1 head was damaged last week, females been in an aggressive mood. 

Xenia I think are great for hosting because they are hardy, not irritable corals, and grow fast.

595bfc196b101_2016-05-0316_48_09.thumb.jpg.88c3e8cb43fb9667a994b7e1637610fc.jpg

595bfc2fdda6b_2016-10-2711_53_44.jpg.3d3e9a91773d125749c2077e40c32aea.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Elegance is the one coral you don't want them hosting. Elegance is pretty delicate and prone to disease. Clowns are rough when they are hosted and can easily cause issues with an elegance.

Different from my experience. I have an indo (not as hardy as aussie) elegance coral that was always closed up until I moved it to higher lighting. I started feeding it more often and it got a lot healthier. When it was first starting to look better was when my snowflake clown started living in it. 

They can be hardier than you give them credit for. 

4 hours ago, Joevember said:

Different from my experience. I have an indo (not as hardy as aussie) elegance coral that was always closed up until I moved it to higher lighting. I started feeding it more often and it got a lot healthier. When it was first starting to look better was when my snowflake clown started living in it. 

They can be hardier than you give them credit for. 

It's not just me. I considered getting one and the general consensus has been clowns hosting them is generally not a been a positive thing.