SaltCritters.com

My first saltwater build

Pike

That sucks.  Bulkheads can sometimes be a pain in the butt.  I would try using the gaskets that came with the bulkhead on the tankside and see if that helps.  

3 hours ago, specore said:

That sucks.  Bulkheads can sometimes be a pain in the butt.  I would try using the gaskets that came with the bulkhead on the tankside and see if that helps.  

I treid that. No sucess..

im so less of it now that i will silicone all connections. 

That must be the end of it 🙂 

So, after i used silicon/glue (aqvariumsafe) did i finally beat the overflow!

i also change a gate vault that was leaking. Waiting for the PVC glue to stick and holding my fingers crossed for tomorrow night!

i may have to change/make a big water change becouse of the delay. I had my MP10 running in display tank.

whats youre opinion? The saltwater went in 3 dags ago

Take care and thanks for the tips!

sorry for bad pics, its dark in sweden! 🙂

6E8F1DA1-18CB-494D-B135-F3A124674B47.jpeg

0A48BACA-D924-4859-B299-FF0F41DC212A.jpeg

890ADB10-8CF1-4A61-9A89-F05C0279A9CB.jpeg

36F02280-192A-4702-9B82-5855629D7563.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi!

I have got a little bit of a luxery problem. My wife thinks the light is to bright when the sun goes down. 

No problem for me now with no living in it. But in a couple of weeks..

to the question, how much light do the corals need (especielly at the evening). Can i tone the lights down from like 7pm?

as you can hear, im not the one wearing pants in the family.. 🙂

Take care!

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Pike said:

Hi!

I have got a little bit of a luxery problem. My wife thinks the light is to bright when the sun goes down. 

No problem for me now with no living in it. But in a couple of weeks..

to the question, how much light do the corals need (especielly at the evening). Can i tone the lights down from like 7pm?

as you can hear, im not the one wearing pants in the family.. 🙂

Take care!

Tell her she will get used to it :biggrin:.

Just set your photo period to ramp up earlier in the day and start back down at 6 or 7 pm.  If your lights have a lunar capability you could then have them on for a while so you would be able to enjoy the aquarium for a while without too much light.

Hey. There may be a problem in the future. The boundary of the aquarium does not coincide with the edges of the table.The table can bend . We need a partition in the middle.

2 minutes ago, Олег said:

Hey. There may be a problem in the future. The boundary of the aquarium does not coincide with the edges of the table.The table can bend . We need a partition in the middle.

A concrete top? I'm not an engineer but it looks thick enough and if he reinforced it with re-bar I would like to think the span is narrow enough to be ok. But ive no experience other than diy when it comes to any construction :smilie:

1 hour ago, vegasgundog said:

A concrete top? I'm not an engineer but it looks thick enough and if he reinforced it with re-bar I would like to think the span is narrow enough to be ok. But ive no experience other than diy when it comes to any construction :smilie:

Hi!

my english isnt the best so i try my best to understand what you mean 🙂

the concrete top is reinforced in itself and the concrete overhang in front dont carry any weight from the aquarium..

I dont think the aquarium (50L) have that kind of weight but im happy to get tips!

it is a easy job to reinforce if i need to

• Like 1

If the stand was made properly and out of proper material, it should not bend.

People have had tanks far larger on cheap aquarium stands made of crappy material that have not bent or collapsed.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

If the stand was made properly and out of proper material, it should not bend.

People have had tanks far larger on cheap aquarium stands made of crappy material that have not bent or collapsed.

Looking at his build, it looks pretty dam solid. I'd say it's just fine. He can build one and ship it to me I'd be happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, vegasgundog said:

Looking at his build, it looks pretty dam solid. I'd say it's just fine. He can build one and ship it to me I'd be happy.

Oh I totally agree. 

I don't see an issue at all with the build.

Think of the average cheap tank stand used by hundreds of thousands of ppl around the world and they are still standing, then look at this custom stand...I don't think its going to buckle.

Beautiful job on this build.  Enjoy it.

As for the lighting. You do get used to the lighting it just takes time and other lights/tv on does help.

Or change the photo period to start ramping down for the time your wife is complaining about and run moon lights for additional viewing time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all!

i have controlled it and it isnt a problem. Its gonna hold!

im about to set a good lightning curve on my bluefish with focus on the daytime (when working) and a little less strength in the evening.

thanks alot for taking the time to help!

to illustrate my wifes lightning issue... 

2E9EEB6C-6E89-42EF-AB75-AD44DFC36AD9.jpeg

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Олег said:

Is the backlight screen able to reduce the bright reflection from the wall?

Thats not a bad Idea if the issue continues!

i could make the Wall behind in the same color as the tank stand 🙂

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Pike said:

Thats not a bad Idea if the issue continues!

i could make the Wall behind in the same color as the tank stand 🙂

That's normal with led.

My living room glows blue with 2 tanks.

Yeah i know. Like i Said its a luxery problem and a thing you get used to 🙂

another question, Dumb one probably..

My moonlight light is green. Isnt it supposed to be like blue in the night (moonlight). This is default settings from Nanobox.

Nanobox quad

see screenshots

EABAFCE8-26C6-4DC6-95FB-9D07C938B179.png

5E343C61-44E4-494B-8FC3-2604E7625CEA.jpeg

• Like 1

Update,

i got in to trouble with my bean animal. It started making noice (air bubbles). I rebuilt it with a U on the mainpipe. Now its quiting again.. 

Rookie mistake 🙂

Besides that i still waiting for the cycle to kick in. 6 days since i put in the start bacteria.. 

signs so far is brown spots in the sand and a ”fluffyness” on the rocks! 

Do you have the lights on in the start up?

D2833FC8-B0BB-4A5B-B850-E7BD27A1D369.jpeg

BC9BA44C-A8EA-47F7-A86F-8050C7F0469A.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pike said:

Update,

i got in to trouble with my bean animal. It started making noice (air bubbles). I rebuilt it with a U on the mainpipe. Now its quiting again.. 

Rookie mistake 🙂

Besides that i still waiting for the cycle to kick in. 6 days since i put in the start bacteria.. 

You can turn the lights on but it is not needed for the aquarium to cycle.

With that being said, when you do end up introducing lights, whether during the cycle or not, do it gradually, so your diatom bloom is kept in check - as much as possible, ofc.

1 hour ago, Pike said:

Update,

Rookie mistake 🙂

Did you introduce a ammonia source to start the cycle?

That plus bacteria is needed for dry Rock- cycling. DR Tim's has ammonia for this.